Deputy Looking at 99 years in Redford Prison.

Dan Stubbs

FORGET ---- HELL
May 4, 2017
Some where in the Deep South.
I can not beleive the Fla. court system, the Deputy who chicken out in the Parkland school shooting is charge with mulit crimes and is facing prison time 99 years. I follow this case and remember him being ordered by his Capt to secure the building and wait for the Swat Team. This is what he did. Yes I would have broken her orders, that was my Rep and well this is not about me.
I can understand his position and only he can understand why he followed order in this case. It seems the fault lay in the chain of Command. His Sgt and Capt should be looked at very hard.

he State's actions appear to be nothing more than a thinly veiled attempt at politically motivated retribution against Mr. Peterson as no other individual employed at the Broward Sheriff's Office or Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School has been criminally charged," DiRuzzo said.

The guy was just a security guard,a rent a cop.Drop the charges and let him be a crossing guard.

th

I did a stint as a security guard quite a few years ago. Then one day a guy from the main office dropped in. He questioned me what I'd do if the plant I was confronted by an attacker. Since I only had the ten pound clock that they had me carry around and key to time me on when and how long it took to make my rounds at minimum wage I told him that I'd throw the clock at the antagonist and run like hell to the gas station next door so I could call 911. He didn't like that answer and suggested there were plenty of 2X4's that I could use to defend the premises. So I told him he wasn't paying me to be a hero and that if they wanted to renegotiate the contract that I wanted $50 an hour (At that time), I'd provide my own weapons and gear which they'd be required to replace if expended or damaged while on the job, and that I'd need to see their insurance first. When he asked why I'd need to see the company's insurance police I told him that if I was hurt or killed in their service they'd be responsible and that they'd better be taking responsibility if I had to put two rounds, or more, into a antagonists center of mass..... The guy didn't like my answer either.

*****SMILE*****

:)

Contrary to what many believe, the police do not have a duty to protect citizens from harm. The U.S. Supreme Court made this clear in a number of decisions. This is how one reputable source puts it:

“Neither the Constitution, nor state law, impose a general duty upon police officers or other governmental officials to protect individual persons from harm — even when they know the harm will occur,” said Darren L. Hutchinson, a professor and associate dean at the University of Florida School of Law. “Police can watch someone attack you, refuse to intervene and not violate the Constitution.” The Supreme Court has repeatedly held that the government has only a duty to protect persons who are “in custody,” he pointed out."

Police Have No Duty to Protect You, Federal Court Affirms Yet Again | Ryan McMaken

In an attempt to get around this issue, the prosecutors are attempting to classify Peterson as a “caregiver” and make him liable for a failure to protect those in his charge. The only definition of a caregiver I could find is in a Florida Statue dealing with the elderly and disabled:

“Caregiver” means a person who has been entrusted with or has assumed responsibility for the care or the property of an elderly person or disabled adult. “Caregiver” includes, but is not limited to, relatives, court-appointed or voluntary guardians, adult household members, neighbors, health care providers, and employees and volunteers of facilities as defined in 1subsection (6). “

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

The legal description of a caregiver implies a much more personal and involved relationship than existed between Peterson and the those shot by Nikolas Cruz. However, even assuming that Peterson was a caregiver as defined in the Florida Statutes, he still could not be charged with a crime. All the charges against him are based on various accusations of child neglect, and here is how child neglect is defined:

1. A caregiver’s failure or omission to provide a child with the care, supervision, and services necessary to maintain the child’s physical and mental health, including, but not limited to, food, nutrition, clothing, shelter, supervision, medicine, and medical services that a prudent person would consider essential for the well-being of the child; or

2. A caregiver’s failure to make a reasonable effort to protect a child from abuse, neglect, or exploitation by another person.

Chapter 827 Section 03 - 2018 Florida Statutes

The firsts definition applies when the caregiver's personal conduct is responsible for the harm to a child. Examples of this would be a woman leaving her child in a car with the windows up on a hot summer day or a father letting his small child play with a loaded gun. This provision of the law could not possibly apply to Peterson since his personal conduct was not the proximate cause of the shootings. Cruz and Cruz alone bears all the responsibility for the tragic event..

The second definition would not apply either. A caregivers is obligated to make “a reasonable effort” to protect a child in his care from harm by another person. A reasonable effort would not include an obligation to confront a shooter thereby putting one's life at risk.

One last thing. According to one news source, prior to the shootings Scott Peterson sought to have Cruze committed but was overruled. Had Peterson's advice been taken, none of those kids would have died that day.

“About 18 months before the shooting, Mr Peterson attempted to have the accused gunman forcibly committed to a mental hospital, according to US media, but his request was overruled by school health officials.”

Should Parkland school shooting cop be jailed?

CONCLUSION: Scott Peterson was acting in the role of a policeman and in that capacity had no duty to confront the shooter. He was not a caregiver in any sense of the word; however, even if he were he had no obligation to put his own life at risk to protect the students. Peterson will never be convicted and if the judge follows the law the charges will be dismissed.

I don't see those charges sticking. This is a stunt for some hotshot deputy DA to get some free publicity. It's Kabuki theater.

PS: It's "Raiford", nor "Redford".

Forum List

Back