3. Contain my medical information
4. Start my car
5. Open my front door
6. Serve as a passport
7. Replace my credit cards
8. Access my bank account

I now have to carry just one card

That technology is already here.

I know...it is not difficult and repalces dozens of cards that can be lost, stolen or duplicated

Speaking from a personal perspective the USCG has already gone to this with the new "merchant mariner credential"

Its amusing how the right is always in favor of anything that would beef up national security - just so long as it doesn't affect THEM personally. Its OK to torture Arabs - but not OK to issue me an ID card!

It wasn't too long ago, the republicans were calling for a national id card and the dems were complaining. Face it, this is just another one of those things to make us THINK the parties are different when they are both run by the SAME people. Anyone who votes for a republican or a democrat is either blind or stupid.

Give me a National ID Card. Let it

1. Prove I am a citizen
2. Stop Identity theft
3. Contain my medical information
4. Start my car
5. Open my front door
6. Serve as a passport
7. Replace my credit cards
8. Access my bank account

I now have to carry just one card

What's more, if you ever want to go under the radar, you just have to get rid of that ONE card, and your cell phone of course.

Its amusing how the right is always in favor of anything that would beef up national security - just so long as it doesn't affect THEM personally. Its OK to torture Arabs - but not OK to issue me an ID card!

If you can't see the difference between protecting Americans from intruders who want to kill them, and forcing them to purchase items which allows the government to intrude upon them, you are a piece of shit.

I was going to say clueless, but I decided that wasn't accurate. If you don't get it, you're just a piece of shit who really doesn't deserve to be able to pursue life, liberty and happiness.

AllieBaba, I am not unsympathetuc to the reaction most seem to have to National ID cards, biometric databases, etc. It does suck to have our privacy diminished...but we cannot isolate all "potentially dangerous people" and only micro-chip them, yanno?

In a balancing of the needs/wants, I happen to come down on the side of feeling safer. But I am law-abiding and fussy older lady who's afraid of the sound of leaves rustling on trees. I realize others may have higher risk tolerances.

It doesn't make me feel safer having the government breathing down my neck, period. They don't need to know every move I make, and I don't feel safe if they do.

If you can't see the difference between protecting Americans from intruders who want to kill them, and forcing them to purchase items which allows the government to intrude upon them, you are a piece of shit.

I was going to say clueless, but I decided that wasn't accurate. If you don't get it, you're just a piece of shit who really doesn't deserve to be able to pursue life, liberty and happiness.

AllieBaba, I am not unsympathetuc to the reaction most seem to have to National ID cards, biometric databases, etc. It does suck to have our privacy diminished...but we cannot isolate all "potentially dangerous people" and only micro-chip them, yanno?

In a balancing of the needs/wants, I happen to come down on the side of feeling safer. But I am law-abiding and fussy older lady who's afraid of the sound of leaves rustling on trees. I realize others may have higher risk tolerances.

It doesn't make me feel safer having the government breathing down my neck, period. They don't need to know every move I make, and I don't feel safe if they do.

Look at the Singapore model. The government knows every move the citizenry makes in that country by having cameras everywhere, cell phone tracking via GPRS chips required to be installed in phones, GPRS trackers installed in EVERY CAR, MOTORCYCLE and BOAT plus national ID cards with RFID chips installed in them. It seems that we may be slowly moving towards this model.

Go for a job.....show your card

Not the same as pulling you over and demanding your papers

What would be the difference if it were integrated into the license? Pull you over ask for your license .... none!

I don't really see how rounding up a bunch of farmers on the word of local mercenaries, cramming them into secret prisons, beating them, and shoving water down their throats a few hundred times a month protects me from anything.

How long before this "biometric social security card" is used for national healthcare status, welfare, medical history, etc?

Can we get some high/lows?

I see your point...

So when I go to a doctor, he could automatically download my medical history. If an ambulance comes they can find out about any alergies or other medical issues. A pharmacist could find out what other prescriptions I may be taking

I can see why I wouldn't want that

If you were a doctor shopping pill popping Congressman you wouldn't want it.

It wasn't too long ago, the republicans were calling for a national id card and the dems were complaining. Face it, this is just another one of those things to make us THINK the parties are different when they are both run by the SAME people. Anyone who votes for a republican or a democrat is either blind or stupid.

The Real ID act was passed unanimously in the Senate and by a vote of 368-58 in the House. Not many detractors on either side. Stop making history up.

I am a conservative who actually does not disagree with the national ID card idea...

I would be against it if it were given to anyone willy nilly... if this is for only citizens and is required as proof of ID for employment, schooling, government program participation, voting, etc, then I am OK (hell, I carried around my military ID for years).. if we have lefty politicians trying to give it to illegals like some areas that try and let them get drivers licenses, etc, then it is of no good at all

There already is a national ID and it's called a driver's license issued by the individual states. The problem with ANY ID for illegals is how in the world are you going to get them to admit that they are here illegally and present themselves to the dept that will issue these IDs????? SECURE THE BORDER! The answer is to keep them OUT! As for the 20M plus illegals already here, deport the criminals and then decide what to do with the rest of them.....probably a temp worker's permit IF they have a job...if not deport them also.

I am a conservative who actually does not disagree with the national ID card idea...

I would be against it if it were given to anyone willy nilly... if this is for only citizens and is required as proof of ID for employment, schooling, government program participation, voting, etc, then I am OK (hell, I carried around my military ID for years).. if we have lefty politicians trying to give it to illegals like some areas that try and let them get drivers licenses, etc, then it is of no good at all

Why would you want legal residents to not have one?

Angelhair, citizenship is not tied to driving a car. Go read your Constitution again.

Why would you want legal residents to not have one?

I said citizens.. legal visitors have visas and others have green cards.. no need for a non-citizen to have a national ID card

Exactly.

The less we know about people here illegally, where they live, how many there are and what they are up to, the better off we'll be.

Not real fond of a national ID my self.

The funny thing is the RIGHT loved the Idea when Bush was talking about it.

Some were and some weren't but shitty legislation is shitty legislation regardless of party, just one more example of how both parties are so close when the skin is peeled off the rhetoric.

Not real fond of a national ID my self.

The funny thing is the RIGHT loved the Idea when Bush was talking about it.

Some were and some weren't but shitty legislation is shitty legislation regardless of party, just one more example of how both parties are so close when the skin is peeled off the rhetoric.

Yup.

Shitty is shitty, and this is shitty.

Forum List

Back