Dems introduce bill to have govt scour Internet, airwaves for "hate speech"

Little-Acorn

Gold Member
Jun 20, 2006
San Diego, CA
Looks like Orwell's draconian predictions of viewscreens watching what you do, thoughtcrime, and the "Thought Police", weren't inaccurate after all. They were just predicted for 30 years too soon.

Today's Democrats seem to spend half their time insisting that they are the party of the little guy, looking out for "ordinary people's rights and well-being"....

....and the other half of their time, submitting bills like this one.

There is no truth to the rumor that this bill is in any way related to the huge information-gathering and storage facility recently built in Utah (Utah Data Center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), nor that it intended to take adavantage of its capability in any way. They are strictly separate issues. Yes, they are.

And as always, the bill doesn't define exactly what "hate crimes" and "hate speech" are. The politicians get to make that up as they go along.

Meaning, we'll have to pass the bill to find out what's in it.

---------------------------------------------

Big chill: Feds want to scour Net, media for ?hate speech?

Big chill: Feds want to scour Net, media for 'hate speech'

by Aaron Klein
29 April 2014

This according to the text of a new bill from Sen. Ed Markey, D-Mass., and Rep. Hakeem Jeffries, D-N.Y.:

The Hate Crime Reporting Act of 2014 “would create an updated comprehensive report examining the role of the Internet and other telecommunications in encouraging hate crimes based on gender, race, religion, ethnicity, or sexual orientation and create recommendations to address such crimes,” stated a news release from Markey’s office.

The one-page bill, reviewed by WND, calls for the Justice Department and the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights to “analyze information on the use of telecommunications, including the Internet, broadcast television and radio, cable television, public access television, commercial mobile services, and other electronic media, to advocate and encourage violent acts and the commission of crimes of hate.”

The bill does not define which actions by broadcasters would be considered to have encouraged violence, seemingly leaving that open to interpretation.

Looks like Orwell's draconian predictions of viewscreens watching what you do, thoughtcrime, and the "Thought Police", weren't inaccurate after all. They were just predicted for 30 years too soon.

Today's Democrats seem to spend half their time insisting that they are the party of the little guy, looking out for "ordinary people's rights and well-being"....

....and the other half of their time, submitting bills like this one.

There is no truth to the rumor that this bill is in any way related to the huge information-gathering and storage facility recently built in Utah (Utah Data Center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), nor that it intended to take adavantage of its capability in any way. They are strictly separate issues. Yes, they are.

And as always, the bill doesn't define exactly what "hate crimes" and "hate speech" are. The politicians get to make that up as they go along.

Meaning, we'll have to pass the bill to find out what's in it.

---------------------------------------------

Big chill: Feds want to scour Net, media for ?hate speech?

Big chill: Feds want to scour Net, media for 'hate speech'

by Aaron Klein
29 April 2014

This according to the text of a new bill from Sen. Ed Markey, D-Mass., and Rep. Hakeem Jeffries, D-N.Y.:

The Hate Crime Reporting Act of 2014 “would create an updated comprehensive report examining the role of the Internet and other telecommunications in encouraging hate crimes based on gender, race, religion, ethnicity, or sexual orientation and create recommendations to address such crimes,” stated a news release from Markey’s office.

The one-page bill, reviewed by WND, calls for the Justice Department and the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights to “analyze information on the use of telecommunications, including the Internet, broadcast television and radio, cable television, public access television, commercial mobile services, and other electronic media, to advocate and encourage violent acts and the commission of crimes of hate.”

The bill does not define which actions by broadcasters would be considered to have encouraged violence, seemingly leaving that open to interpretation.

NaziProgs

They are not scouring but wanting media outlets to report any forms of hate speech defined by laws already in existence. This issue has previously already been posted and discussed. I read the outlying bill proposal, and told my reps in Congress to not approve it. If all humans are not covered by hate speech then no one group should...

I'll keep saying what I believe. If our government wishes to become Iran than let the people seei it as it is.

When someone wants you to SHUT UP; SAY IT LOUDER! And LOUDER! DON'T give your rights away!

Last edited:
They are not scouring but wanting media outlets to report any forms of hate speech defined by laws already in existence.
The bill says nothing of the kind. It merely says that a govt group will submit a report detailing the use of the Internet, airwaves etc. to facilitate hate crimes. It says nothing about how it gets that info, or from where.

I read the outlying bill proposal,
Either you haven't read it, or you read it and are lying about it.

See the text of the bill here:
Text - S.2219 - 113th Congress (2013-2014): Hate Crime Reporting Act of 2014 | Congress.gov | Library of Congress

Isn't world news daily one of those outlets that claimed the Feds were coming to take Bundy's land?

How many times you gotta get burned by a "news" source before you admit they go off half-cocked without all the information?

Time to turn off the internet, load up the guns ammo and food and head for them thar hills :cuckoo:

Isn't world news daily one of those outlets that claimed the Feds were coming to take Bundy's land?

How many times you gotta get burned by a "news" source before you admit they go off half-cocked without all the information?

So Representatives Markey and Jeffries did NOT propose a bill as WND described?

And they are NOT trying to get the government to examine what's on the internet and check for "hate crimes"?

And the text of the bill found in listings for bill submitted to Congress, is NOT what the link I posted, showed?

Do you even think a little bit, about what you are posting before you post it? Or just blurt out something you wish was true, and try to attack the messenger instead?

And they are NOT trying to get the government to examine what's on the internet and check for "hate crimes"?

And the text of the bill found in listings for bill submitted to Congress, is NOT what the link I posted, showed?

Do you even think a little bit, about what you are posting before you post it? Or just blurt out something you wish was true, and try to attack the messenger instead?

Did you see the entire bill - or just the a summary that WND WANTED you to see?

Yeah, I though so.

Remember these guys screaming about the feds coming to take Bundy's land? And you STILL don't feel the need to check under the hood?

You keep falling for the same crap over and over if you want to. It's your choice. I have made a different choice - to look before I leap.

Did you see the entire bill - or just the a summary that WND WANTED you to see?

Yeah, I though so.

Did you even check the link I put up?

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Back to the subject:

Forum List

Back