Democrats block amendment to prevent Fairness Doctrine

Nevadamedic

Jul 13, 2007
Diagon Alley
WASHINGTON -- Senate Democrats on Friday blocked an amendment by Sen. Norm Coleman that would have prevented the return of the Fairness Doctrine, a federal rule which required broadcasters to air opposing views on issues.

Although no legislation has been offered to bring back the regulation, which was scrapped in 1987, Coleman and other Republicans have been mounting a pre-emptive attack in recent weeks, arguing that a return to the old rule would give the government too much power in regulating content. The House recently passed an amendment banning the rule's return.

When Coleman, R-Minn., tried to bring up his amendment Friday to a defense authorization bill, Sen. Carl Levin, a Michigan Democrat who chairs the Armed Services Committee, objected. According to Levin's office, he objected because the amendment belonged in the Commerce Committee's jurisdiction, and because it would have taken up time while the Senate was trying to debate Iraq.
http://www.postbulletin.com/newsmanager/templates/localnews_story.asp?z=2&a=300714

How outrageous. These Democrats are aweful. They can have their Liberal media but we can't have our Conservative Radio? It's not right. They don't like it because we expose the dirty truth about them on there. What's next, the Internet? Blogs? Discussion boards? They need to be stopped.

WASHINGTON -- Senate Democrats on Friday blocked an amendment by Sen. Norm Coleman that would have prevented the return of the Fairness Doctrine, a federal rule which required broadcasters to air opposing views on issues.

Although no legislation has been offered to bring back the regulation, which was scrapped in 1987, Coleman and other Republicans have been mounting a pre-emptive attack in recent weeks, arguing that a return to the old rule would give the government too much power in regulating content. The House recently passed an amendment banning the rule's return.

When Coleman, R-Minn., tried to bring up his amendment Friday to a defense authorization bill, Sen. Carl Levin, a Michigan Democrat who chairs the Armed Services Committee, objected. According to Levin's office, he objected because the amendment belonged in the Commerce Committee's jurisdiction, and because it would have taken up time while the Senate was trying to debate Iraq.
http://www.postbulletin.com/newsmanager/templates/localnews_story.asp?z=2&a=300714

How outrageous. These Democrats are aweful. They can have their Liberal media but we can't have our Conservative Radio? It's not right. They don't like it because we expose the dirty truth about them on there. What's next, the Internet? Blogs? Discussion boards? They need to be stopped.

right wing radio exposes truth?

I occasionally listen to Sean Hannity on my way home from work - because I really don't think my blood pressure is QUITE high enough. He's at the vanguard of the truth exposers, isn't he?

Just yesterday, he was doing editorial riffs on news items..... he starts this one by saying, "Well... it looks like Sheryl Crow and the rest of the enviro-wackos will get their wish and we will all be forced to limit the amount of toilet paper that we use" He then proceeds to read pieces of a news story about Kimberly-Clark introducing an automatic toilet paper dispenser that limits the paper dispensed to five squares per "visitor". He then says this is a prime example of the liberals instituting their "nanny state" and shoving their crazy ideas down everyone's throats.

The news article tells a slightly different story, however:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19731640/

"This may be the last straw for people who think technology has eliminated every last bit of personal privacy: A toilet-paper dispenser that limits the issue of tissues.

A year in the works, the electronic dispenser is being rolled out to the masses by Kimberly-Clark Corp. as it seeks to capture more of the $1 billion away-from-home toilet paper market. The company believes most people will be satisfied with just five sheets — and use 20 percent less toilet paper in the process."

In fact, this is a story about shameless corporate greed. This is a story about a company that believes it can make a lot of money by selling a product to a lot of businesses with rest rooms accessible to clients and customers - and those businesses are perfectly willing to only allow US, the customer, to have five sheets of toilet paper in order that THEY can decrease their paper products COSTS and thus increase their PROFITS. Kimberly-Clark and every business who buys this product plan on making MORE money by forcing US to use five squares of toilet paper.

But Hannity....that "exposer of the truth", says it is a prime example of liberals pushing a nanny state.

And I listened for about a half hour and no caller was allowed on the air who would call him on that idiocy. Instead.... there was the standard, "Sean, you are a great American"..."no...You are a great American" "No Sean, you are an even greater American" ... "No...I must beg to differ, YOU are the greater American"... "Let me tell you about the Freedom concerts" ... "stop Hillary express" "liberals blah blah blah democrats blah blah blah" CRAP. I called his 800 number number..told the person who answered that I wanted to protest the toilet paper nanny state foolishness and was promptly hung up on.

Conservative talk radio: exposing the truth? Bullshit!

pandering to morons is more like it.

right wing radio exposes truth?

I occasionally listen to Sean Hannity on my way home from work - because I really don't think my blood pressure is QUITE high enough. He's at the vanguard of the truth exposers, isn't he?

Just yesterday, he was doing editorial riffs on news items..... he starts this one by saying, "Well... it looks like Sheryl Crow and the rest of the enviro-wackos will get their wish and we will all be forced to limit the amount of toilet paper that we use" He then proceeds to read pieces of a news story about Kimberly-Clark introducing an automatic toilet paper dispenser that limits the paper dispensed to five squares per "visitor". He then says this is a prime example of the liberals instituting their "nanny state" and shoving their crazy ideas down everyone's throats.

The news article tells a slightly different story, however:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19731640/

"This may be the last straw for people who think technology has eliminated every last bit of personal privacy: A toilet-paper dispenser that limits the issue of tissues.

A year in the works, the electronic dispenser is being rolled out to the masses by Kimberly-Clark Corp. as it seeks to capture more of the $1 billion away-from-home toilet paper market. The company believes most people will be satisfied with just five sheets — and use 20 percent less toilet paper in the process."

In fact, this is a story about shameless corporate greed. This is a story about a company that believes it can make a lot of money by selling a product to a lot of businesses with rest rooms accessible to clients and customers - and those businesses are perfectly willing to only allow US, the customer, to have five sheets of toilet paper in order that THEY can decrease their paper products COSTS and thus increase their PROFITS. Kimberly-Clark and every business who buys this product plan on making MORE money by forcing US to use five squares of toilet paper.

But Hannity....that "exposer of the truth", says it is a prime example of liberals pushing a nanny state.

And I listened for about a half hour and no caller was allowed on the air who would call him on that idiocy. Instead.... there was the standard, "Sean, you are a great American"..."no...You are a great American" "No Sean, you are an even greater American" ... "No...I must beg to differ, YOU are the greater American"... "Let me tell you about the Freedom concerts" ... "stop Hillary express" "liberals blah blah blah democrats blah blah blah" CRAP. I called his 800 number number..told the person who answered that I wanted to protest the toilet paper nanny state foolishness and was promptly hung up on.

Conservative talk radio: exposing the truth? Bullshit!

pandering to morons is more like it.

Pandering to morons eh? What does that say about you since you admittingly listen to it.

I explained that I only listened to it occasionally, when I don't feel quite pissed off enough about our pResident and his stupid war.....

what does it say about you that you ignored the toilet paper story altogether and concentrated on the last line of my post?

I explained that I only listened to it occasionally, when I don't feel quite pissed off enough about our pResident and his stupid war.....

what does it say about you that you ignored the toilet paper story altogether and concentrated on the last line of my post?

I love it when the Liberal's say it's his way when their representatives all voted for it. Keep trying to spread your propaganda and lies.

I love it when the Liberal's say it's his way when their representatives all voted for it. Keep trying to spread your propaganda and lies.

FACT: the majority of democrats in congress voted against the use of force resolution.

Are you ever gonna talk about hannity's toilet paper nanny state "exposing of truth"?

Sure I will, he is right on the money.

So...kimberly-clark's introduction of an automatic toilet paper dispenser to attempt to "capture more of the $1 billion away-from-home toilet paper market" was not about profit motive at all but really those nasty enviro-wacko liberals attempting to force their agenda on America?

Is that really your position?

I happen to believe in this case Levin is correct. This issue does not belong in the Armed Services Committee.

So...kimberly-clark's introduction of an automatic toilet paper dispenser to attempt to "capture more of the $1 billion away-from-home toilet paper market" was not about profit motive at all but really those nasty enviro-wacko liberals attempting to force their agenda on America?

Is that really your position?

Basically.

What are you confused about? Because I don't agree with the Government limiting the amount the toilet paper that we use?

where does the government get involved in Kimberly-Clark wanting to make money? Where does the governmetng get involved in businesses wanting to increase their profit margins by spending less on their janitorial supplies and forcing their customers to use five squares as a method of doing so?

Please explain.

where does the government get involved in Kimberly-Clark wanting to make money? Where does the governmetng get involved in businesses wanting to increase their profit margins by spending less on their janitorial supplies and forcing their customers to use five squares as a method of doing so?

Please explain.

It goes along with Al Gore and his whoe enviornmental stuff. I'm sure they are going to be getting something from the Deomcrats for it.

It goes along with Al Gore and his whoe enviornmental stuff. I'm sure they are going to be getting something from the Deomcrats for it.

you are one twisted and sick motherfucker.

do you just make that shit up out of thin air or did Hannity feed you those details after I tuned him out yesterday?

This is about MONEY...It is about Kimberly-Clark making money selling these things to businesses who want to SAVE money and therefore INCREASE their PROFITS by making you and me use only five squares of toilet paper.

For you to claim this has anything to do with the democrats or the liberal nanny state is so laughable I am seriously considering putting you on IGNORE because you are such a mindless shill for the conservatives.

My GOD man...can you THINK?

you are one twisted and sick motherfucker.

do you just make that shit up out of thin air or did Hannity feed you those details after I tuned him out yesterday?

This is about MONEY...It is about Kimberly-Clark making money selling these things to businesses who want to SAVE money and therefore INCREASE their PROFITS by making you and me use only five squares of toilet paper.

For you to claim this has anything to do with the democrats or the liberal nanny state is so laughable I am seriously considering putting you on IGNORE because you are such a mindless shill for the conservatives.

My GOD man...can you THINK?

Actually, we could argue the shill for conservatives thing. He DOES hold some of your illogical viewpoints.:eusa_whistle:

Not sure if I'd argue the mindless part though.:eusa_think:

Forum List

Back