Democrats Are Killing America

Yea it's pretty depressing. Things are actually even worse than what they're telling the people. Their 9.5% Unemployment number is absolutely bogus. The real Unemployment rate is much higher.

The methodology for calculating the unemployment hasn't changed since 1997, and the 1990's change was a simple technical reform. The U3 in 2010 is directly comparable to the U3 in 1998.

The methadology has not changed, no.

But the length of time the unemplyment number is stagnant or increasing is the variable that is of utmost importance seeing as the difference between the "unemployed" calulated in the U3 and the "actual" unemployed is directly related to time.

Yea it's pretty depressing. Things are actually even worse than what they're telling the people. Their 9.5% Unemployment number is absolutely bogus. The real Unemployment rate is much higher.

The methodology for calculating the unemployment hasn't changed since 1997, and the 1990's change was a simple technical reform. The U3 in 2010 is directly comparable to the U3 in 1998.

This Administration is well known for cooking the books. Just look around your own community. Lay offs are continuing at an alarming rate. Many businesses also continue to close their doors. There is no way the Unemployment rate has stayed at 9.5%.

Libocalypsenow vs. a 60,000 person, monthly study? Yeah, the observations in your (apparently depressed) town are far more compelling.

There is no way the Unemployment Rate has stayed at 9.5%. Especially with all those Thousands of Census Workers being let go. They are simply cooking the books. Sadly that's become par for the course with this Administration. The real Unemployment Rate is definitely much higher. They need that number to stay where it is or preferably go down. They know the Elections are coming. I actually expect them to cook that number down to around 7 or 8% come Election time. I'm pretty sure i will be proven correct on that one. There is no way the Unemployment Rate has stayed at 9.5%. I stand by that belief.

Democrats are Killing America...

After the big spending of the Bush administration, the Obama-Pelosi-Reid Democrat Party tripled that spending, with little to no results to show for it.

America is in trouble.

Big trouble.

It is only trouble & a big trouble when a Dem spends the money. Don't you find that interesting?

Trillions in additional future debt have been placed upon the shoulders of this country’s children and grandchildren – and their children and grandchildren.

But that doesn't bother you when you are getting tax cuts during two wars back to back, and Bush is borrowing trillions from China to pay for it. Sorry, playing the grandchildren card is a little late in the game.

Just this week the Mortgage Bankers Association indicated one in ten mortgages are in default. Jobless claims rose for three straight weeks, with unemployment hovering near 10 percent – and real unemployment likely far higher than that as many Americans have simply given up trying to find work.

No, that is actual unemployment in America. Before we started giving indefintie unemployment, workers fell off benefits after 52 weeks, and entered the welfare & social services states. Now they continue to be counted.

Currently 10.1 million people are receiving unemployment checks. GDP growth is now being estimated to be below 2% – far below what is required for a growing economy and much-needed job creation.

10 million out of 300 million Americans? Not bad. Yes, we could use the party of NO and "do whatever it takes," to kindly step aside and let Dems fix Bush's mess. Hard for Dems to work when they are dragging the republican anchor down the halls fo congress.

But the length of time the unemplyment number is stagnant or increasing is the variable that is of utmost importance seeing as the difference between the "unemployed" calulated in the U3 and the "actual" unemployed is directly related to time.

I'm not sure if you mean the length of time people have been unemployed or the duration of time that the rate has remained high. The U3 counts anyone actively looking for work.

It is very true, however, that the duration of unemployment for individuals during this recession has been extremely high and quite unprecedented in the post-war era. That's part of what's making this recession so severe.

How much higher?

This Administration is well known for cooking the books. Just look around your own community. Lay offs are continuing at an alarming rate. Many businesses also continue to close their doors. There is no way the Unemployment rate has stayed at 9.5%.
How about 11%, or is it lower or higher?
All those Thousands of Census Workers being let go yet they claim the Unemployment rate has stayed at 9.5%. Their numbers just don't add up. Unfortunately things really are worse than what they're telling the people. You do have a voice though. Make 2010 count America.

LOL! Hey, the census isn't a lifetime job.

I'm not sure if you mean the length of time people have been unemployed or the duration of time that the rate has remained high. The U3 counts anyone actively looking for work.

It is very true, however, that the duration of unemployment for individuals during this recession has been extremely high and quite unprecedented in the post-war era. That's part of what's making this recession so severe.

Yes, and that is my point. A large percentage of people have actually given up looking for work and thus why the actual number of people unemployed is higher than the 9.5% rate reflects.

Being in the business management field with a permanent and temporary staffing solutions division, I can comfortably say this is not just rhetoric.

Look for their Unemployment number to be cooked down to around 7 or 8% just in time for the Elections. Their numbers are all lies. Things are much worse than they're saying. Their power is slipping and the iceberg is now in sight for the Democrats. Desperate times require desperate measures. Watch that number magically go down just in time for Elections. Bet on it.

Yes, and that is my point. A large percentage of people have actually given up looking for work and thus why the actual number of people unemployed is higher than the 9.5% rate reflects.

Being in the business management field with a permanent and temporary staffing solutions division, I can comfortably say this is not just rhetoric.

Oh, I see what you're saying. Yes, I'm sure that's true. You can see it in the widened gap between the U3 and the broader measures. And it's a sign of the severity of this recession.

My point is simply that this fact doesn't change the u3, nor does it mean the government is cooking the books to arrive at the U3. Part of the problem is, of course, that most people view the entirety of the employment situation through a single lense, the U3. It's just a calculation and it's not supposed to be a snapshot about the entire health of the labor market.

Just out of curiousity, is your division finding that the disconnect between skills needed by firms and skills offered by unemployed folks is much worse than usual?

Oh, I see what you're saying. Yes, I'm sure that's true. You can see it in the widened gap between the U3 and the broader measures. And it's a sign of the severity of this recession.

My point is simply that this fact doesn't change the u3, nor does it mean the government is cooking the books to arrive at the U3. Part of the problem is, of course, that most people view the entirety of the employment situation through a single lense, the U3. It's just a calculation and it's not supposed to be a snapshot about the entire health of the labor market.

Just out of curiousity, is your division finding that the disconnect between skills needed by firms and skills offered by unemployed folks is much worse than usual?

An interesting question and one we have discussed many times over the years. We are finding less during this recesion than others and attribute it to a slower growth/change in technology...again, a reflection of the severity of the economy. It is two fold...companies are not investing in new technoogyand R& D appears to be down overall.

Seems may companiues are simply "winging it" right now.

I am in the NYC area. You seem to be very well versed in economics and business n general. What region and industry? What are you finding?

An interesting question and one we have discussed many times over the years. We are finding less during this recesion than others and attribute it to a slower growth/change in technology...again, a reflection of the severity of the economy. It is two fold...companies are not investing in new technoogyand R& D appears to be down overall.

Thanks for that. I read a rather lengthy piece the other day claiming that one major cause of unemployment at the moment was a widening disconnect between the labor pool and the skills required. While it might play a part, I just can't figure out how such a drastic disconnect "suddenly" popped up. Seems to me that such a disconnect would grow slowly over time...and to some degree, it would be self-regulating.

But I don't see the frontlines of that, so I was curious if others saw it.

I am in the NYC area. You seem to be very well versed in economics and business n general. What region and industry? What are you finding?

I'm in northern New England. For sake of privacy, I'll PM ya a bit more...

Thanks for that. I read a rather lengthy piece the other day claiming that one major cause of unemployment at the moment was a widening disconnect between the labor pool and the skills required. While it might play a part, I just can't figure out how such a drastic disconnect "suddenly" popped up. Seems to me that such a disconnect would grow slowly over time...and to some degree, it would be self-regulating.

I think it is because so many of the entry level and intermediate level jobs have been outsourced or downsized to increase profits over the years. There's no starting off point in many corps now, just what administrative bare bones are left + management and executive jobs. People are having a hard time getting their foot in the door and those vying for higher offices are facing brutal competition.

But I don't see the frontlines of that, so I was curious if others saw it.

I'm in northern New England. For sake of privacy, I'll PM ya a bit more...

I would like to see that article and I question the author and his/her agenda. We have seen such a widening in the past;certainly in the 90's.....but now? Not at all. To the contrary, the oppotunities we are involved in now have identical technological requirements to those we worked on in the recent past prior to the recession. Ranging from ERM software from a high level WC standpoint to multi spindle CNC lathes from a low level BC standpoiint.

Obama Doesn’t Get It

Not long ago, Intel CEO Paul Otellini gave praise to the great opportunities inherent in the American business model.

No longer.

Last week Otellini issued dire warnings of a United States economy teetering on the brink of disaster, due in great part to a Democrat Congress and Obama White House seemingly incapable of understanding the fundamentals of free market capitalism. And Otellini did not mince words when speaking to a large group of technology based industry leaders at the Technology Policy Institute’s Aspen Forum last week when stating, “I think this group(current Democrat leadership)does not understand what it takes to create jobs. And I think they’re flummoxed by their experiment in Keynesian economics not working.”

Obama Doesn’t Get It | Newsflavor

I think it is because so many of the entry level and intermediate level jobs have been outsourced or downsized to increase profits over the years. There's no starting off point in many corps now, just what administrative bare bones are left + management and executive jobs. People are having a hard time getting their foot in the door and those vying for higher offices are facing brutal competition.

IN all fairness peepers...and coming from someone who is directly involved in business development and managenment...Decreasing operating costs does not always mean increasing profits.

For example...in NYC, commercial real estate leases have very complicated escalations and such escalations are calculated by the square foot and are directly related to the increase in operating costs of the property which are directly related to the operating costs of the vendors of the property.

If the 32b-j union of building personnel negotiate a new contract of say...25 cents an hour...and that is low....a comapnies rent will go up by as much as 75 cents a square foot. If electricity rates go up, the rent can go up by as much as 2 dollars a square foot...

And thses increases in operating costs are not always easy to anticipate as the tenants have no control over negotiations.

In many cases, a company will look to lower payroll costs in an effort to stablize profits...not INCREASE profits...and sometimes, to minimize the losses incurred by an increase in non payroll operating costs.

This Obummer Summer really was one of the worst Summers our nation has seen in many years. The list of awful things that happened to our nation while our President vacationed is just too long and exhausting to list right now. This has been anything but a "Recovery Summer." The Democrats should actually be ashamed of themselves for spinning that B.S. The Democrats are killing America. Make 2010 count America.

This Obummer Summer really was one of the worst Summers our nation has seen in many years. The list of awful things that happened to our nation while our President vacationed is just too long and exhausting to list right now. This has been anything but a "Recovery Summer." The Democrats should actually be ashamed of themselves for spinning that B.S. The Democrats are killing America. Make 2010 count America.

I happened to have a great summer. My company(s) pretty much broke even, but I made the best of it with my family. Lots of cheap weekends at the beach.

Forum List

Back