Democrat Wants to Ban Body Armor for the Public

Criminals and body armor....perfect together

And if body armor is outlawed, the criminals will still have it, but the innocent victims won't. Just like with guns.

Simplistic nonsense

Making body armor readilly available only helps the criminal. Are you going to wear your body armor 24/7? A criminal knows when he will need it....you don't

Do you really want to get involved in a shootout with a criminal wearing body armor?

I don't WANT to get involved in a shootout at all. If I need to...well, that's one reason I like a large-caliber revolver.
Which will take a guy out with or without a ballistic vest. The clueless Left maintains a child like, magical regard toward ballistic vests, like it turns the wearer into a super hero and bullets bounce off left and right. You shoot somebody wearing armor with your large caliber gun, they'll either die or wake up a week later wishing they had.

This is just a guess but I would think the reasoning behind this is that if a terrorist or a person who wants to commit a massacre for whatever reason is wearing body armor then it is that much harder for law enforcement to stop them.

Yes, and banning guns from them works so well too. I guess simple common sense will always elude those folks....won't it...

Always been restrictions on who can purchase body armor. Was a thing when I was still on the job 20+ years ago.

Really? Where? The only limitations I've ever seen is your pocket book. I have a IIIa vest with a level IV plate. Expensive, but I value my life.

Always been restrictions on who can purchase body armor. Was a thing when I was still on the job 20+ years ago.

Really? Where? The only limitations I've ever seen is your pocket book. I have a IIIa vest with a level IV plate. Expensive, but I value my life.
And they expire after 5 years. That's $500 every five years, priced out of the range of the common criminal.

And they expire after 5 years. That's $500 every five years, priced out of the range of the common criminal.

Depends on if they are worn. If you don't wear them they are good for 10 years. The plate is good till it's hit, as it's titanium.

Depends on if they are worn. If you don't wear them they are good for 10 years. The plate is good till it's hit, as it's titanium.
Correct. I wore my IIA 5 days a week. After a few years of that, sweat stains and odors made me pine for a new one, even when I used the spray.

Correct. I wore my IIA 5 days a week. After a few years of that, sweat stains and odors made me pine for a new one, even when I used the spray.

The armor material makes a difference too. Kev 29 has a shorter life expectancy than Kev 129, Spectraweave is even better, there is a newer material called Dyneema but i am not familiar with it yet.

Would even that stop a high-powered rifle round? Something like a .375 Ackley, .458, or a .22-250?

Would even that stop a high-powered rifle round? Something like a .375 Ackley, .458, or a .22-250?

Trauma plates are typically about 1/16 to 1/8 inch steel. The higher powered rifle rounds are stopped by the kevlar plates that SWAT and our military use. Very bulky and unsuitable for daily wear. It's an age old truth that in the bullet vs armor contest, the bullet always wins because there is no armor so thick that a bullet can't punch its way through.

Yes, it will stop those as well. A threat IV plate is rated to stop 7.62X51 NATO armor piercing ammunition.

Trauma plates are typically about 1/16 to 1/8 inch steel. The higher powered rifle rounds are stopped by the kevlar plates that SWAT and our military use. Very bulky and unsuitable for daily wear. It's an age old truth that in the bullet vs armor contest, the bullet always wins because there is no armor so thick that a bullet can't punch its way through.

Those would be considered very marginal. The best plates are titanium, and the second best are made of ceramics, but they can only take a couple of hits before they begin to degrade.

Those would be considered very marginal. The best plates are titanium, and the second best are made of ceramics, but they can only take a couple of hits before they begin to degrade.

The point is, it's always better just to not get hit. Put on titanium body armor and I'll bet I can find a DU round that will go right through it. Nobody's ever safe just because they wear ballistic vests.

The point is, it's always better just to not get hit. Put on titanium body armor and I'll bet I can find a DU round that will go right through it. Nobody's ever safe just because they wear ballistic vests.

Never said they were. I don't know of any DU small arms ammo, but the SLAP rounds are out there, and .50 cal will punch a hole right through it. But, as you said, the goal is simply to not get hit in the first place!

Last edited:

Never said they were. I don't know of an DU small arms ammo, but the SLAP rounds are out there, and .50 cal will punch a hole right through it. But, as you said, the goal is simply to not get hit in the first place!

Fired from a .50 BMG, I heard, but that might be more legend than truth.

Never said they were. I don't know of an DU small arms ammo, but the SLAP rounds are out there, and .50 cal will punch a hole right through it. But, as you said, the goal is simply to not get hit in the first place!

The smallest DU rounds listed in the US Army Ordnance data sheets are 25mm. The SLAP rounds are tungsten. Once you get to a certain point tungsten is just as effective as the DU with none of the environmental concerns.

I know a lot of Dems want to ban guns, but that isn't going far enough, according to some. Not only does the idea of people defending themselves from criminals disgust liberals, but now the thought of people protecting themselves seems to upset them. This guy doesn't want the public owning and wearing body armor. The excuse is that gangs of mass murderers would be protected from police gunfire, though that would be rare. For most people, wearing them while hunting or maybe walking through the Chicago would simply be a matter of safety.

http://www.ijreview.com/2015/01/238450-content-restricting-gun-ownership-democrat-congressman-sponsors-bill-ban-body-armor/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=organic&utm_content=conservativedaily&utm_campaign=Guns

You see it is very difficult to screw their constituency when their armed and wear body armor. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The smallest DU rounds listed in the US Army Ordnance data sheets are 25mm. The SLAP rounds are tungsten. Once you get to a certain point tungsten is just as effective as the DU with none of the environmental concerns.

From my research, 20mm is the smallest, but the point is that it has to be a sabot round, the DU being a uranium dart that separates from the rest of the bullet. .50 BMG is capable of firing such a round. This might interest you: .50 BMG Flechette rifle - The Firearm Blog

It actually fires a DU round, but from the article it seems this was a prototype and not currently in production.

From my research, 20mm is the smallest, but the point is that it has to be a sabot round, the DU being a uranium dart that separates from the rest of the bullet. .50 BMG is capable of firing such a round. This might interest you: .50 BMG Flechette rifle - The Firearm Blog

It actually fires a DU round, but from the article it seems this was a prototype and not currently in production.

I had heard that the USN has DU rounds for the CWS Phalanx system, but couldn't find anything certifiable. It's all hearsay evidence for that. The .50 DU is not worthwhile. It costs way more to manufacture than tungsten, you get none of the pyrophoric effect of the larger rounds, and the terminal ballistic performance is only marginally better than the tungsten projectiles.

I saw the add on gunbroker when it was up. It was the spitting image of the one in Ezells book on the DARPA weapons projects of the 1960's. They used DU at the time, but why I have no idea. To show they could? That was when they were working on a dardick (spelling?) system that used an open feed and bolt sytem for a gatling type machine gun/ cannon that could fire at 30,000 rounds per minute.

There were a lot of weird projects going on at that time.

Yes, it will stop those as well. A threat IV plate is rated to stop 7.62X51 NATO armor piercing ammunition.

Serious question: are you familiar with a .22-250?

Note that a .243 or .22-250 loaded with softpoints will punch through a 1/2" steel plate like paper.

Of course...if that isn't enough, there is always the .577 Tyrannosaur...

Serious question: are you familiar with a .22-250?

Note that a .243 or .22-250 loaded with softpoints will punch through a 1/2" steel plate like paper.

Of course...if that isn't enough, there is always the .577 Tyrannosaur...

Yes, I am very familiar. They will punch a hole through SOFT steel plate. Not a hardened plate. HUUUUGE difference. A .22-250 projectile will shatter upon contact with a hardened steel plate. If you want to see something really impressive take your .22-250 and place a front windshield from a car in front of a target. Shoot through the glass. The target behind will be sprayed with tiny frags, but the main projectile will once again shatter upon impact.

When you introduce hard armor into a subject then you alter the game significantly. Let's take the .577 for instance. It's a large bullet, that's bad, to penetrate hard armor you need a small point, attacking a very small area, with a tremendous amount of force. Large projectiles spread the impact out thus REDUCING penetrating capability. The blunt trauma behind the plate will probably be very uncomfortable though!

Your .22-250 were it to hit someone with a ceramic plate would probably not even know you had hit them. The plates are massive, and weigh a ton. If it were to hit my titanium plate I would hear it for certain, and I would also feel the impact, though that would be small due to the small projectile. A bigger projectile will transfer more energy to the target behind in the way of blunt trauma that can kill in the case of soft armor. But with a plate the effect is greatly reduced.

Forum List

Back