Dem gets help from liberal judge to get around the law

Clementine

Platinum Member
Dec 18, 2011
This asshole had less than half the required signatures needed to get on the ballot. So, he just went to a liberal judge who makes his own rules and cheated. Simple as that. These are the people running our lives. Since when do judges get to decide which laws they follow or not? Looks like this judge took a cue from Obama. Just uphold what suits you and ignore what gets in your way. The average person would never get away with this shit, but politicians really do think they are above all the laws that they make.

News broke earlier this month that the second-longest serving member of the House of Representatives would not be able to run for reelection after failing to obtain the required number of signatures on his nominating petitions. In fact, he had less than half of those required.

But the man in question, John Conyers, Jr., a Democrat representing the Detroit area, has proven that rules were meant to be broken, because a federal judge has just decided that Conyers will be allowed to be on the Democratic primary ballot in August, according to NY Daily News. The decision came hours after Michigan’s Secretary of State declined to put him on the ballot.

Rules – Who Needs ‘Em? Federal Judge Allowing Longtime Rep To Run Despite Lacking Required Signatures

"Court of Appeals is where Policy is made" - Sonia Sotomayor, 2005 panel at Duke University Law School.

OK, I didn't see the justification for the judge doing so, that means we can make things up.

Like the judge didn't want to put another uneducated and unskilled black man out of work.

The liberal judge doesn't see that by allowing him to break the law he is not being fair he is being unfair to those who did follow the law.

Not getting the required signatures after all these years just shows the incompetence of Conyers. I hope the people speak, but I don't they will.

Wrong again, as usual, you ignorant partisan hack.

Instead of contriving lies about the case, read the actual ruling explaining the law supporting the judge’s decision:

http://www.freep.com/assets/freep/pdf/C4221516523.PDF

Moreover, the judge’s ruling is consistent with existing case law:

Experts in election law said Judge Leitman’s favorable ruling was not surprising considering the case’s similarities to Nader v. Blackwell, in which a panel of judges agreed that imposing voter registration requirements on signature circulators in Ohio was an impermissible restriction on political speech.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/24/us/judge-rules-conyers-can-be-on-ballot.html

That the OP is a liar completely devoid of credibility is a long-established fact; this failed thread is further confirmation of that fact.

No one ‘got around’ the law, as the ruling was made in accordance with the law.

Instead of contriving lies about the case, read the actual ruling explaining the law supporting the judge’s decision:

Experts in election law said Judge Leitman’s favorable ruling was not surprising considering the case’s similarities to Nader v. Blackwell, in which a panel of judges agreed that imposing voter registration requirements on signature circulators in Ohio was an impermissible restriction on political speech.

That the OP is a liar completely devoid of credibility is a long-established fact; this failed thread is further confirmation of that fact.

I agree that there were extenuating circumstances but this ruling was not in accordance with the law they cited a case in Ohio. I guess what is being said is there is absolutely no requirements that can be placed on those who get the signatures. Crooks, thieves rapist doesn't matter. And what about the non-registered or out of state people signed up, I never heard if they would have kept him under 1000.

I know when I ran for office I was very careful to follow the law as should everyone.

Also the justification wasn't in the OP so I too looked at the NYTs.

Just like the law kept Tom Delay on the ballot when he was no longer eligible to run but allow Lautenberg to replace Torricelli after the deadlines had passed but the Torch was going to lose badly because of his legal problems.

Molon Labe

I've said it before, I'll say it again; centuries from now, when historians can honestly look back at the causes of the decline of the Republic, the number one cause will be the courts. Once they decided to legislate from the bench and push their personal and political agendas, it was all over but the shouting.

ignorant partisan hack.

yes....you are.....

Usurpation is just another tactic acceptable to liberals when it is politically expedient :evil:

Forum List

Back