Defining moments

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
Anyone remember Ford saying that there is no Soviet dominance of Eastern Europe?

It's as if President Obama climbed into a tank, put on his helmet, talked about how his foray into Cambodia was seared in his memory, looked at his watch, misspelled "potato" and pardoned Richard Nixon all in the same day. It's fun to imagine the hand-wringing that must be going on within the White House as staffers try to figure out how to undo the damage their boss has done with his anti-entrepenurial riff. Defining moments in politics are strange beasts. Sometimes they're only recognized in hindsight, while sometimes they throw the train off the tracks before a sentence has been completed. Sometimes their effect can be contained and minimized, while sometimes their effect on the political narrative mestastasizes. This one is very bad for the White House.

Defining Moments - Ricochet.com

Anyone remember Ford saying that there is no Soviet dominance of Eastern Europe?

It's as if President Obama climbed into a tank, put on his helmet, talked about how his foray into Cambodia was seared in his memory, looked at his watch, misspelled "potato" and pardoned Richard Nixon all in the same day. It's fun to imagine the hand-wringing that must be going on within the White House as staffers try to figure out how to undo the damage their boss has done with his anti-entrepenurial riff. Defining moments in politics are strange beasts. Sometimes they're only recognized in hindsight, while sometimes they throw the train off the tracks before a sentence has been completed. Sometimes their effect can be contained and minimized, while sometimes their effect on the political narrative mestastasizes. This one is very bad for the White House.

I really doubt that, because he didn't say anything you say he said. You're hearing voices again!

taken out of context......

besides - he was mostly correct - the Berlin Wall fell 13 years later.......................

I really doubt that, because he didn't say anything you say he said. You're hearing voices again!

Ford didn't say that?

During a 1976 presidential debate against a then-obscure Georgia Governor named Jimmy Carter, Ford famously uttered: "There is no Soviet domination of Eastern Europe." The moderator, Max Frankel of the New York Times, responded incredulously, "I'm sorry, what? ... did I understand you to say, sir, that the Russians are not using Eastern Europe as their own sphere of influence in occupying most of the countries there and making sure with their troops that it's a communist zone?" But Ford refused to back down from his original statement, insisting that Poland, Romania and Yugoslavia are free from Soviet interference. The answer haunted him for the remainder of the campaign and arguably cost him the elction. Somewhat ironically, Ford was the first candidate to agree to a televised debate since Richard Nixon's disastrous appearance opposite John F. Kennedy in 1960.

Read more: Gerald Ford's Denial - Top 10 Memorable Debate Moments - TIME #ixzz217Buzmqs​

Ford didn't say that?

During a 1976 presidential debate against a then-obscure Georgia Governor named Jimmy Carter, Ford famously uttered: "There is no Soviet domination of Eastern Europe." The moderator, Max Frankel of the New York Times, responded incredulously, "I'm sorry, what? ... did I understand you to say, sir, that the Russians are not using Eastern Europe as their own sphere of influence in occupying most of the countries there and making sure with their troops that it's a communist zone?" But Ford refused to back down from his original statement, insisting that Poland, Romania and Yugoslavia are free from Soviet interference. The answer haunted him for the remainder of the campaign and arguably cost him the elction. Somewhat ironically, Ford was the first candidate to agree to a televised debate since Richard Nixon's disastrous appearance opposite John F. Kennedy in 1960.

Read more: Gerald Ford's Denial - Top 10 Memorable Debate Moments - TIME #ixzz217Buzmqs​

LOL!!! Is this pick and choose day? Wrong HE, dave. Your usual mind reading skills are failing you. Did you really think we were getting into a discussion of the '76 election? This isn't the flipping History forum. :lmao:

Ford didn't say that?

LOL!!! Is this pick and choose day? Wrong HE, dave. Your usual mind reading skills are failing you. Did you really think we were getting into a discussion of the '76 election? This isn't the flipping History forum. :lmao:

The 1976 election falls under politics.

The Soviet Empire started to crumble the day Reagan took office.

Started with the Soldarity Movement in Poland.

Ford should have backed off on that comment and explained it better afterwards.

Instead he stuck to his guns...........................

The President didn't say what he said and when you report that which he didn't say you are taking it out of context.

Ford didn't say that?

So you're claiming Obama didn't say what he said?

I just heard Bush's defining moment 2004 letting Mexicans eligible for food stamps first I heard of it .....Mark Levine

I happened to be able to listen to the radio at that point in Mark's show this evening.

It is a little surprising that anybody would consider that policy a good one.

It is troubling that President Bush went along with it.

It is less surprising (albeit more consistent and deeply troubling) that Pres. Obama is a supporter of such stupidity.

Ford didn't say that?

Obama is claiming he didn't say what he said.

Obama is claiming he didn't say what he said.
Yes, but Obama lies. A LOT.

It's okay, though. He has plenty of useful idiots willing to screech their daily programming.

Forum List

Back