~Define An Alcoholic~

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by Dabs, Jul 28, 2011.

1. High_Gravity

High_Gravity Belligerent Drunk Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,751
    What do you mean?

2. toxicmedia

toxicmedia Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,451
    Alchoholics are the same as addicts. If a substance other than food and water is negatively affecting your relationships and life, and you lack the mental mechanism to quit doing these substances, you need to get at the reason why you abuse these subtances. Thus NA and AA.

3. Grace

Grace BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +744
    I think he meant as a crutch, HG.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. High_Gravity

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,751
    To me an alcoholic is someone who needs a drink when they first wake up.

5. Grace

Grace BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +744
    For those who are not sure what an alcoholic is...go to an AA meeting. They don't ask questions. They don't expect strangers there to "share". They just move around the table and everyone has their say..however long it may be. Or they don't say anything except "pass". And listen. Watch. Digest. You can pick out the ones still struggling and the ones that have done well....and the ones that never were alcoholics but NEED the label so they feel they belong somewhere (munchausen by proxy).

6. High_Gravity

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,751
    I went to the Militaries version of AA and it was completely different, you are forced to share, answer questions and tell everyone every week why you went in, and if you refused you faced disciplinary action. Makes you want a drink afterwards.:doubt:

7. Jos

Jos BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +734
    An alcoholic is someone who doesn't use prescription drugs to deal with their Life's trauma's

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  8. signelect

signelect BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +216
    alcoholism can only be diagnosed by the person with the disease. Many people need help but only a few want it. There is only one method that has worked over time because alcoholism can not be cured but it can be controlled so you can recover and live a happy and productive life.

9. Dabs

Dabs ~Unpredictable~

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,402
    Well, I have seen what alcohol can do to a person. And we all can agree I'm sure, it's not pretty.
    I never did drink. Which was weird because I was raised around alcohol...both my real Dad and my SF drank. But I never liked the taste of beer, so it's not something I let myself get involved in. And cigarettes, never smoked either.
    But alcohol is out there, everydamnwhere, so if a person wants to drink, they're gonna find a way to drink :-/

10. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,796
    Many alcoholics share similar patterns of drinking and behavior but not all. Again some do start drinking at wake up; others wait until the end of the work day; others can go days or weeks in between 'binges'. Some drink only beer; some only wine; some only vodka; some anything alcoholic they can get their hands on. There is no rule of how it has to work.

I'm sorry Grace had such a terrible experience with Al Anon but she was obviously in a group that didn't ever get the program. Millions have reclaimed their lives and dispelled the demons that plagued them in Al-Anon groups as have millions reclaimed their lives through AA or similar programs. People being so different, it is impossible for the same system/program will be effective for everybody, whether the addict or the co-dependent.

I had one friend who went through detox and a 30-day in house treatment program seven times before he finally got the program and got sober. Now he is one of AA's strongest advocates, but he is walking proof that falling off the wagon doesn't doom you. :)