~Define An Alcoholic~

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by Dabs, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Two Thumbs

Two Thumbs Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,643
    If you need it. No matter how rare you may drink, if there is any need, you are an alcoholic.

2. peach174

peach174 Gold Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,566
    to me an alcoholic is someone who is obsessed with alcohol and cannot control how much they consume.
    It is that way with all addictions.

3. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,251
    AA itself says there's no such thing as a "former alcoholic", only a "recovering alcoholic".

4. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,664
    Any alcoholic in recovery will tell you, they are ALWAYS an alcoholic.

And no alcoholic wants to be an alcoholic. Yet at the same time, they are the only ones who can affect a *cure*.

I certainly spent a lot of time drinking, hard, when I was younger. But you know there came a point when it just wasn't fun anymore, and when that happened, I quit. So now I wonder, was I an alcoholic, or was I just in a stage where I made it a part of my life? I mean, if you're an alcoholic, you're one forever, right? I spent 20 years of my life thinking the most fun thing in the world was to go to parties, hit the bars, etc...and consume copious amounts of liquor...I do mean copious.

I have no desire to pick up that lifestyle again, and I'm not concerned about it at all. I don't want to drink at all for the most part...when I do, I have a couple and I'm done. I'm not interested in going to bars, I don't want to go to parties...not because they're uncomfortable for me but because that's just not fun anymore, I have other things to do. Now I view them as a waste of time..there was a time when they were a goal!

So who the hell knows. I don't miss it, think I was silly to ever think it was fun, but I feel that way about a lot of the pursuits of my younger days.

5. Cecilie1200

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,251
    I'd say if you just gave it up without any ill effects or ever missing it, you weren't an alcoholic. You were just a dumb kid. :poke:

6. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,664
    Until I was 42!

7. PixieStix

PixieStix Platinum Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,085
    Alcoholism is sad and destructive to all involved. Many times the alcoholic cannot remember the wrongs he/she did to others. Maybe they never will.

Acknowledgment of wronging others is key to becoming and staying sober. Maybe I am wrong. I only know because my brother is a recovering alcoholic.

I have to wonder if there are differing reasons for becoming an alcoholic. My brother is one from years of going to lunch and dinner with other executives, or having corporate meetings over drinks. Later in his life everything was about getting drunk...till he lost a 23 year old wife who took him to the cleaners. She was a binge drinker. That woke him up. Has not had a drink in quite a few years.

Then you have those who simply cannot cope with the past ect....or have personality traits that makes them vunerable. I think those are the ones who have a tougher time getting and staying sober. JMHO

8. Cecilie1200

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,251
    My sister is approaching 50, and she's STILL a dumb kid. Some people take a lot longer to grow up.

9. Grace

Grace BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +744
    He is sober. He is my best friend. I'll be here with him til the end of either of us. Unless he picks his other best friend (the bottle) over me again. Then I'm outta here. And he knows it.

10. High_Gravity

High_Gravity Belligerent Drunk Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,751
    mE.