~Define An Alcoholic~

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by Dabs, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Stashman

Stashman No Soup For You!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +66
    You are an alcoholic if you cannot stop drinking without help.

2. signelect

signelect BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +216
    An alcoholic is a person who doesn't know the meaning of self control. They say it's the first drink that gets you in trouble not the second, third or fourth but i don't think that's true. Self control is a big part of life that us human beings need to learn.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  3. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,664
    Alcoholics have some of the most incredible self control you'll ever see. They go to extremes to arrange their lives around their addiction....

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  4. The_GiantNoodle

The_GiantNoodle Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17

Nope. Someone can be out at a company party, have a few beers and get pulled over and slapped with a DUI. That doesnt make them an alcoholic.

5. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,712
    If alcohol consumption causes any problem in your life, and you are not able to stop drinking to avoid that problem, most likely you are an alcoholic.

6. Kooshdakhaa

Kooshdakhaa Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +599
    If alcohol causes problems in your life on a regular basis, you are probably an alcoholic. Like what Big Black Dog said.

Someone who is not an alcoholic would not keep drinking every night when it causes them to wake up with a terrible hangover every morning.

Someone who is not an alcoholic might drink to the point that they don't remember what they did the night before a couple of times. But they wouldn't keep doing it.

An alcoholic lets alcohol become the most important thing in their life. That next drink is the center of the universe.

One thing I get tired of hearing about is rehab. I am an alcoholic. One time I went through a 12-week outpatient treatment program (either that or lose my job). I started drinking again before the program was even over. But all you had to do was confess and act all contrite and you'd get away with it.

When I finally quit, I quit on my own, with the support of my husband who quit drinking before I did. I didn't go to rehab, I didn't go to AA meetings, I just quit. Sometimes when I tell people this they say, well, you must not be an alcoholic. But, I'll tell you what, at that treatment program I went through I tried to say I might not be an alcholic. One of the counselors looked me in the eyes and said, based on everything you've told us about your habits and behavior, you are most definitely an alcoholic.

And that's another thing about an alcoholic. I haven't had a drink in 10 years. But if I were to have one, the odds are that I would start drinking again on a regular basis. A couple drinks would become several, and one or two nights a week would become every night. Alcoholism is a progressive disease, it just keeps getting worse. Alcoholics cannot drink in moderation, no matter how they try.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  7. Kooshdakhaa

Kooshdakhaa Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +599
    It's not about self control. It's EASY for a nonalcoholic to stop at one or two drinks. It doesn't take a lot of self control. Because they're not ADDICTED to alcohol.

That's another sign of an alcoholic...if you have to struggle to keep from drinking too much, you're probably an alcoholic. Nonalcoholics can take it or leave it. No big self-control needed.

8. Kooshdakhaa

Kooshdakhaa Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +599

You are not an alcoholic. :clap2:

9. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,647
    I think its fair to suggest that there are different kinds of alcoholism and those different kinds addiction tend to also manifest in different patterns of drinking to excess.

10. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,471
    It is a fact that many who start AA drop out. In fact most. Statistically the success rate of in house or outpatients treatment programs is pretty grim. As you illustrated, the alcoholic manages drinking through a clever web of deception, lies, manipulation, and pretense--whatever it takes to give him/her access and ability to alcohol. And yes, the alcoholic will have one drink or a half drink just to PROVE to others (or sometimes himself) that he is okay; he doesn't have problem; he can stop anytime he wants to. But he is already planning how he will get his next drink. He thinks about that next drink a lot even when he is not drinking. He arranges his life to make that next drink more accessible

Alcoholics are just like other people. Most are above normal in intelligence, sociable, personable, funny. Many never get a DUI or lose a job or a relationship because of their drinking. Or apparently because of their drinking. But they will drive drunk. Their work will suffer. Their relationships become as sick as their addiction because their loved ones will try to manage the alcoholic's addiction just as the alcoholic does.

The one thing that sets alcoholics apart from non alcoholics is that alcoholics are addicted. And like all addicts, the addiction becomes the number one most important thing in their life. Getting clean and sober does not cure the addiction. But it does remove it from priority.

Millions who do not get clean and sober from rehab/treatment or their first AA meetings, etc. do go on to get clean and sober later. The main advantage of rehab or AA or similar programs is that once the addict has been through them, they are much less able to lie to themselves about their addictions. Their addiciton will never again be as much 'fun'. And then you hear many success stories of people who eventually just quit on their own. But in truth, there is almost always a lot of history in that quitting.