~Define An Alcoholic~

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by Dabs, Jul 28, 2011.

1. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,227
    Someone who can't go for more than 24 hours...

... (many often even less)...

... without their 'liquid fix'.
    :eusa_drool:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  2. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,664
    Naw, I know too many people who don't drink every 24 hours, but who when they do drink completely lose all control.

3. Dabs

Dabs ~Unpredictable~

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,402

I believe we can witness someone destroying themselves, and know their drinking is doing them harm, and also tell when they have become an "alcoholic"......especially if a person is living with said someone for over 10 years and sees the drinking on a daily basis.
    I honestly think others can tell when someone is an alcoholic.
    I knew my ex was/is one.....he admits it NOW, but years ago when I would say to him "I think you need help"...he would nudge me off. Now he tells me he wishes he had maybe listened.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. freedombecki

freedombecki Let's go swimmin'! Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,947
    Don't take them too seriously, but here are some indications that you just might have a drinking problem...

20. You have awakened with an overwhelming feeling that you should go back and apologize... but you don't remember where.
    19. The Tipsy Taxi service has banned you from all its vehicles.
    18. You refer to your favorite song only by its jukebox selection numbers, G-12.
    17. People consider your spouse a Saint for reasons that totally escape you.
    16. Your least favorite song: "Goodnight, Sweetheart."
    15. The last time you had a legal driver's license, so did Ted Kennedy.
    14. You bought your current pick-up truck because it has a cool place to hide a six pack.
    13. Your last public sing-along experience included the entire Changes in Latitudes album.
    12. "But Officer, it's been a long time since I tried to say my ABC's!"
    11. You have considered starting a local chapter of D. A. M. M., Drunks Against Mad Mothers.
    10. All of your old friends are now members of 12-step groups.
    9. The 911 dispatcher no longer has to ask your wife for the address.
    8. You think the nutritional information on the back of a beer can is proof that you should be able to buy it with food stamps.
    7. The only hymn to which you remember all the words was written by Hank Williams, Sr.
    6. You consider a real alcoholic as one who drinks more than you do.
    5. You know for certain that putting your foot on the floor does not stop the room from spinning.
    4.Your insurance agent drops by and mentions your policy does cover treatment centers.
    3. You know the punch line to "Why does an Al-Anoner close her eyes to make love?"
    2. The producers of the television program COPS still send you Christmas cards.
    And the Number One way you can tell if you have a drinking problem...
    1. Two words: Commode Huggin'.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. del

del BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,269
    This test will only be scored correctly if you answer each one of the questions. Please also check our disclaimer on psychological testing and our psychological testing privacy guarantee.

1. Have you ever felt you should cut down on your drinking?

* Yes
    * No

2. Have people annoyed you by criticising your drinking?

* Yes
    * No

3. Have you ever felt bad or guilty about your drinking?

* Yes
    * No

4. Have you ever had a drink first thing in the morning to steady your nerves or get rid of a hangover (eye-opener)?

* Yes
    * No

two or more yes answers and you probably are an alcoholic

http://counsellingresource.com/lib/quizzes/drug-testing/alcohol-cage/

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  6. Kooshdakhaa

Kooshdakhaa Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +599
    Just remember...someone doesn't "become" an alcoholic. They already are. Even if they never take a drink in their life.

When you think you see someone "becoming" an alcoholic, it just means the disease is progressing.

Sometimes when people are young, like college students, everybody is partying and an alcoholic doesn't really stand out from the crowd.

But as time goes on and the disease progresses, it eventually becomes obvious that the person is an alcoholic. To those around them, anyway. They may be totally immersed in denial, which is part of the disease.

7. ABikerSailor

ABikerSailor Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,826
    Wrong. People CAN become alcoholics by excessive binge drinking.

The body has a certain enzyme that assists in the breakdown of alcohol. If a person drinks too much and reduces that enzyme to a certain point, they cease being able to process alcohol normally and then become alcoholic.

One of the reasons that many say "one's too many, and a thousand ain't enough". The lack of that enzyme is what sets up the craving.

8. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,422
    It doesn't even require binge drinking. Again many people drink normally and responsibly for years before crossing that invisible line into alcoholism. At that point the next drink begins to assume importance instead of being an incidental thing. And the intake will begin to increase.

Admittedly those with the gene or propensity for alcoholism can speed up the process and get across that line more quickly with higher than average intake.

9. Ali777

Ali777 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +35
    It's a matter of dispute among the medical community whether it's actually a disease.
    ANYBODY..that drinks in excess will become an alcoholic. Alcohol is addictive.

10. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,422
    I don't think that will hold up. Many people drink to excess and never become alcoholic. And that is why I think it is a disease--a genetic or physiological deficiency in which even people who do not drink to excess can become alcoholic. It's just like most people can gamble responsibly with no problem and shrug and walk away when the money they have allocated for the activity is gone. Some people are predisposed to gambling addiction, however, and they can't do that. Gambling becomes a compulsive obsessive behavior over which they have little or no control.