Debunking the Reagan Myth

Eisenhower started the arms race which eventually bled the Russians economically dry.

Paul Krugman is FAR more biased than I am

In your opinion, not in mine by what you are writing.

It must really piss some righties off to see anyone challenge the deity myth of the Actor Who Would Become President.:eusa_whistle:

Eisenhower started the arms race which eventually bled the Russians economically dry.

Paul Krugman is FAR more biased than I am

In your opinion, not in mine by what you are writing.

It must really piss some righties off to see anyone challenge the deity myth of the Actor Who Would Become President.:eusa_whistle:

Oh, it does.

They worship the myth about the man which is why it pisses them off so to point out the real history of what he inherited, and what he actually did.

He imposed, for example, one of the largest tax increases on the middle class ever had.

By doing so he saved social security from going down in the XXth century.

He also did much to drive a spike though the heart of unions while at the same time giving huge tax breaks to the wealthiest segments of our society.

By doing that he basically created the huge income inequities we are seeing happening today.

OTOH, those tax breaks set up the sitution for later period of economic prospoerity which followed his regime.

Single events can have multiple outcomes which serve some of us well and hurt others of us, too.

That's the nature of economic policies, folks.

Trickle down never worked and it has nothing to do with the people spending their own money. It is all about the rich getting richer and giving US their crumbs.

Trickle up is what most of the posters on these threads are doing. You are middle class workers who's work makes the goverment run. The remark about a poor man never hiring anyone is total divergent bullshit. It has nothing to do with the real argument about trickle down or the sparrow and oats.

Amazing how many working people fall for this crap.:cuckoo:

Fresh Air from WHYY, February 5, 2009 · Journalist Will Bunch says that the legacy of Ronald Reagan, which is claimed by the right and was so often referred to by Republican presidential candidates in the 2008 election, is not an accurate depiction of Reagan's presidency.

In his new book, Tear Down This Myth, Bunch argues that the Reagan legacy was created largely by Washington conservatives in the 1990s, who wanted a hero who they could associate with the conservative agenda.

"It's been very hard for the modern generation of Republicans to develop a leader ... who has the kind of charisma that Ronald Reagan has had," Bunch tells Fresh Air's Terry Gross. In the absence of that charisma, Bunch says, the next generation decided to "borrow it" from the past.

The Reagan legacy credits America's 40th president with winning the Cold War and turning the American economy around in the 1980s. But the truth, says Bunch, is that Reagan was a divisive president with only average approval ratings and "virtually zero support from African Americans." Furthermore, he says, Reagan's trickle-down theory of economics didn't save the American economy, nor was the president responsible for "winning" the Cold War.

Despite his criticisms of Reagan's presidency, Bunch is not without some kind words for the late president: "Ronald Reagan was very successful in connecting with the American people because of his optimism. ... He clearly had a strong belief in himself and a belief in America."

I realize until I post an article by Sean Hannity that states this, the real Reagan Worshippers won't acknowledge its value. No, then they would call Hannity a liberal.:lol:

Since Nixon had to run away and hide, the right has been revisioning history to give themself a hero.:eusa_pray:

Will Bunch: Tearing Down The Reagan 'Myth' : NPR

Reaganomics was a failure. That the wingnuts today still worship a nice, but senile man who didn't know if he were governing or acting is just too much, but like 'trickle down' aka free market, and other myths they believe, the fact is he failed the nation and particularly the middle class - the foundation of any country. S&L, Enron, and the recent financial collapse can all be traced directly to him. I save my links on him as the right wing wacko conservatives continue an adoration of failure and pretend it was success.

CEPR - America Since 1980: A Right Turn Leading to a Dead End

I realize Reagan is a hero for most republicans, face it who else is there? Lincoln? But we have to be honest and for those of us who lived through Reagan, and saw the impact of his policies, it just wasn't good. Firing the air traffic controllers started business on the path to 'screw the employee only money matters' philosophy. Lowering taxes made us a debtor nation, and created the economic condition that caused Bush Sr to lose after one term. The changes in employee rights and deregulation lead us to today's mess. There is no way Reagan can be considered anything more than a actor who became president but continued to believe in make believe. Ironically those who praise him today suffer the same make believe.

The Potomac - Mike Z
Ronald Reagan page
Redirect

Ronald Reagan's Legacy
The Reagan Legacy
The Reagan legacy - Salon.com
Economic Policy - The Reagan Years
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/21/opinion/21krugman.html
Principles in Collission, The right to strike v. the right to stay in business ( IUSLabor - UPF )
Reagan: Media Myth and Reality
FindLaw's Writ - Dorf: Reagan and the Courts

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/United-States-since-World-Since/dp/0521677556/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1240602608&sr=1-3]Amazon.com: The United States since 1980 (The World Since 1980): Dean Baker: Books[/ame]

""Reagan was coming from this very simple proposition: If you lower the tax rate, then more people will work, there will be more income in the economy and everyone's lives would be better. Despite a 25 percent income tax cut, by 1982 Reagan faced a deepening recession, mounting unemployment and homelessness.""
Ken Duberstein, Reagan Chief of Staff

Ronald Reagan(The Mis-Comunicator)

graphs
Hale "Bonddad" Stewart: Ronald Reagan: Fiscal Disaster
Firedoglake » Newsflash: Ronald Reagan Raised Taxes (You Idiots)
Reagan administration scandals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Trickle down never worked and it has nothing to do with the people spending their own money.

It works up to a point, I think.

In order to have a capitalist society capital formation is necessary.

But if that capital formation finds that it makes more sense to invest the capital it made in one nation, into another nation (think free trade) then certainly that trickle down theory totally flies out the window.

It is all about the rich getting richer and giving US their crumbs.

They're not even giving us the crumbs anymore.

They gave us crumbs when they invested their profits back into our economy.

Trickle up is what most of the posters on these threads are doing. You are middle class workers who's work makes the goverment run.

The originating source of all wealth is labor, that's obvious to anyone who really understands what wealth actually is.

The remark about a poor man never hiring anyone is total divergent bullshit.

Of course it is.

Poor people hire wealthy people all the time. Slum lords for example, become extremely wealthy working for poor people.

This year I hired a lawyer at $250 an hour. I can assure you that he welcomed this poor man's money.

It has nothing to do with the real argument about trickle down or the sparrow and oats.

Amazing how many working people fall for this crap.:cuckoo:

They want to believe...

Their worship of Mammon is a faith-based religion no less than any other.

Last edited:
Reaganomics was a failure. That the wingnuts today still worship a nice, but senile man who didn't know if he were governing or acting is just too much, but like 'trickle down' aka free market, and other myths they believe, the fact is he failed the nation and particularly the middle class - the foundation of any country. S&L, Enron, and the recent financial collapse can all be traced directly to him. I save my links on him as the right wing wacko conservatives continue an adoration of failure and pretend it was success.

I realize Reagan is a hero for most republicans, face it who else is there? Lincoln? But we have to be honest and for those of us who lived through Reagan, and saw the impact of his policies, it just wasn't good. Firing the air traffic controllers started business on the path to 'screw the employee only money matters' philosophy. Lowering taxes made us a debtor nation, and created the economic condition that caused Bush Sr to lose after one term. The changes in employee rights and deregulation lead us to today's mess. There is no way Reagan can be considered anything more than a actor who became president but continued to believe in make believe. Ironically those who praise him today suffer the same make believe.

The Potomac - Mike Z
Ronald Reagan page
Redirect

Ronald Reagan's Legacy
The Reagan Legacy
The Reagan legacy - Salon.com
Economic Policy - The Reagan Years
Principles in Collission, The right to strike v. the right to stay in business ( IUSLabor - UPF )
Reagan: Media Myth and Reality
FindLaw's Writ - Dorf: Reagan and the Courts

Amazon.com: The United States since 1980 (The World Since 1980): Dean Baker: Books

""Reagan was coming from this very simple proposition: If you lower the tax rate, then more people will work, there will be more income in the economy and everyone's lives would be better. Despite a 25 percent income tax cut, by 1982 Reagan faced a deepening recession, mounting unemployment and homelessness.""
Ken Duberstein, Reagan Chief of Staff

Ronald Reagan(The Mis-Comunicator)

graphs
Hale "Bonddad" Stewart: Ronald Reagan: Fiscal Disaster
Firedoglake » Newsflash: Ronald Reagan Raised Taxes (You Idiots)
Reagan administration scandals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What caused Bush Senior to lose was that he was a man of priniples working in a den of vipers.

He committed to not raising taxes. "Read my lips". The Dems talked him into a comprimise that included a tax raise. His presidency was effectively ended at that point. It's too bad. He was and is a good man as well as being a patriot and a very savvy understander of the world situation.

Reaganomics was a failure? During his administration, the trajectory of this country changed from straight down to up. That was a miracle that was successfully avoided by Nixon, Ford and Carter. Those three combined to make things incrementally worse with every passing day of their terms. Reagan made a real difference.

Below is the definition of Stagflation which was thought to be a desciption of an impossible condition. Reagan corrected this.

All of the small minded attempts to revise what happened cannot erase what happened. Our country was in the dumper when Reagan took office, he won a second term by asking the question, "Are you better of now than you were Four Years ago?", and the country was the unchalleged and singular Super power When he left office.

That's a pretty strong outcome for a guy who didn't know what he was doing.

Columbia Encyclopedia entry: stagflation
Stagflation, in economics, a word coined in the 1970s to describe a combination of a stagnant economy and severe inflation. Previously, these two conditions had not existed at the same time because lowered demand, brought about by a recession (see depression), usually produced lower, or at least stable, prices. Large U.S. government deficits and sharp rises in the costs of energy have been cited as the chief causes of stagflation in the 1970s.
The Columbia Encyclopedia. Copyright © 2001-09 Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]

I guess we all want to believe in what we have sold our lives to. The more so if that belief ties into a belief that led to people who have died for a needless war and an economy that currently sucks. No partisan remark there.:eusa_whistle:

I wonder if anyone will ever really figure out who is right or wrong. Besides those who already know they know.:lol: Or is it don't know what they know, or know what they don't no, or no what they know they want to know.:cuckoo:

The hell with it. I have to go replace a toilet in my daughters condo. That makes a lot more sense than most of the political threads here anyway and it still let's me deal with crap.:lol:

Free trade essentially did not exist under reagan the Dems killed it. And again to blame Reagan for the crap his Democratic Congress largely stuffed down his throat is little more than a shallow subterfuge to allow the left spinning room. Reaganomics was scarcely tried and was in fact by the mid point of his second term dead in the water thanks to a Democratic congress that made and broke numerous pledges to curtail spending if Ronnie would just sign off on one more tax hike. The fnal straw that broke the camel's back was the 1986 omnibus tax bill that removed both the interst deduction on second homes and established the luxury boat tax. The former broke the back of the savings and loan industry which suddenly saw most of its holdings devalued by half or morre and incidently meant that a whole lot of middle class families who once had access through properties the companies they worked for owned to lake side or sea side homes, lost that access. The latter destroyed the New England pleasure boating industry putting hundreds of people out of work. Because of these things neither of those taxes came anywhere close to rasing the money they eventually cost the government.

Again soaking the rich doesn't work, as the rich have umbrellas.

Below is the definition of Stagflation which was thought to be a desciption of an impossible condition. Reagan corrected this.

I suggest you read a bit of history, stagflation started during Nixon/Ford. Carter just didn't spend money as Reagan did, Reagan engaged in Keynesian economics, similar to Bush JR. But Reagan lowered taxes too far and the base collapsed, very similar to Bush junior with all the added economic gyrations. In the end I give Reagan some credit as he raised taxes like hell after he realized the disaster he was creating, trouble was, he simultaneously ruined the middle class with his idiotic lack of support for American worker rights.

Again Reagan is guilty only of not shutting down the government rather than sign off on the odious legislation generally sent him in huge omnibus bills designed with one thing in mind, the abrogation of the president's veto power. Now the only time congress Democrat or Republican controlled sinds the president a single item piece of legislation is in an attempt to use it to create the rope with which to hang him.

I suggest you read a bit of history, stagflation started during Nixon/Ford. Carter just didn't spend money as Reagan did, Reagan engaged in Keynesian economics, similar to Bush JR. But Reagan lowered taxes too far and the base collapsed, very similar to Bush junior with all the added economic gyrations. In the end I give Reagan some credit as he raised taxes like hell after he realized the disaster he was creating, trouble was, he simultaneously ruined the middle class with his idiotic lack of support for American worker rights.

the guy was president of SAG....so why did he hate unions so much?....you think he would have been able to work with them.....but then i have seen many shop stewards go into management and become assholes....BIG assholes....

Stupid bastards, still trying to take down Ronnie. :lol:

You never will simps, he was a great president, the only one respected in many of our lifetimes, and all your bullshit will never change that.

This guy actually uses facts as opposed to Krugman's incessant ranting about the "wonders" of Keynesian economics.

Using the "misery index" improvement criteria, Mr. Reagan was clearly No. 1, followed by Mr. Clinton and Mr. Kennedy. Mr. Carter by far performed worse than any of the last nine presidents.

The rate of economic growth is often considered a measure of a president's success. However, this measure must be used with care, given it normally takes at least a year after a new president takes office before he can get his initial tax and spending program enacted by Congress. Thus, it is appropriate to lag this measure by one year so a new president is not saddled with the sins or virtues of his predecessor.

John Kennedy is the clear winner in the growth criteria. He had the advantage of taking office during the middle of an economic recovery, and the wisdom to enact major tax cuts, both of which resulted in very high growth rates during and immediately after his administration.

Ronald Reagan comes in next in the growth race, even though the economy suffered from stagnation and double-digit inflation and interest rates when he took office. Also, his major tax cuts were not fully effective until two years into his administration. Mr. Clinton comes in third, having inherited a growing economy, but his policies left the nation in a recession.

Mr. Reagan and Mr. Clinton come in No. 1 and No. 1, respectively, in the jobs' creation race. About 17 million jobs were created during each of their times in office, but Mr. Reagan did it with a labor force about 18 percent smaller than the one when Mr. Clinton took office. In addition, employment lags economic growth, so when an appropriate one-year lag is used to adjust the figures, Mr. Reagan also obtains a substantial absolute advantage in numbers of new jobs created.

Both Mr. Kennedy and Mr. Reagan cut taxes for all income levels. Mr. Kennedy reduced the maximum rate from 91 percent to 70 percent, and Mr. Reagan from 70 percent to 28 percent. In both cases, the economy boomed and federal government tax revenues actually increased. Under Mr. Reagan, federal tax revenues rose from $599 billion in 1981 to $991 billion in 1989. despite the tax rate cuts.

Opponents of Mr. Reagan charge his deficits "left future generations saddled with debt." Mr. Reagan did use debt to partially fund his increase in military spending to win the Cold War, just as Franklin Roosevelt used debt to win World War II. At the end of the Roosevelt administration, the national debt held by the public was more than 100 percent of our gross domestic product (GDP). At the end of the Reagan administration, it was only 41 percent of GDP. (Mr. Kennedy left us with debt equal to 42 percent of GDP; in 1996 at the end of the first Clinton administration, debt was 48 percent of GDP; and it is about 37 percent today.)

As a rough rule of thumb, if the economy grows 6 percent (4 percent real and 2 percent inflation), a deficit of 2 percent to 3 percent yearly can be sustained forever without increasing the national debt burden. (If your personal income grows faster than the amount it costs you to service your debts, you can keep acquiring debt and yet the burden will grow lighter rather than heavier.) During the last three years of both the Reagan and the Kennedy administrations, GDP was growing faster than the debt burden.

By any reasonable criteria, Presidents Reagan and Kennedy were far and away the most economically successful presidents in the past half-century. They both left the economy stronger and freer than they found it. And most Americans, regardless of income level, were clearly better off. Mr. Reagan faced a far tougher challenge than did Mr. Kennedy, whose term was also too short to be definitive.

Tallying Presidential Economic Success | Richard W. Rahn | Cato Institute: Daily Commentary

Last edited:
One caller on the Ed show today called up and was so incensed he waited an hour to tell the host that he was demonizing Reagan while deifying Obama.

The right has been so successful in the revisonist efforts on Ronny, they they actually believe he stopped the cold war and all other evils. Bullcrap. He was there at the right time and spoke well for an actor.

With his obscene I Am The Rich Trickle Down Theory, he began the war on destroying the middle class. I am still amazed by those in the current weakened and smaller middle class that still smile as he shoves his trickle down up your anal opening.:eek:

Historical narratives matter. That’s why conservatives are still writing books denouncing F.D.R. and the New Deal; they understand that the way Americans perceive bygone eras, even eras from the seemingly distant past, affects politics today.

Reactions From Around the WebAnd it’s also why the furor over Barack Obama’s praise for Ronald Reagan is not, as some think, overblown. The fact is that how we talk about the Reagan era still matters immensely for American politics.

Bill Clinton knew that in 1991, when he began his presidential campaign. “The Reagan-Bush years,” he declared, “have exalted private gain over public obligation, special interests over the common good, wealth and fame over work and family. The 1980s ushered in a Gilded Age of greed and selfishness, of irresponsibility and excess, and of neglect.”

Contrast that with Mr. Obama’s recent statement, in an interview with a Nevada newspaper, that Reagan offered a “sense of dynamism and entrepreneurship that had been missing.”

Maybe Mr. Obama was, as his supporters insist, simply praising Reagan’s political skills. (I think he was trying to curry favor with a conservative editorial board, which did in fact endorse him.) But where in his remarks was the clear declaration that Reaganomics failed?

For it did fail. The Reagan economy was a one-hit wonder. Yes, there was a boom in the mid-1980s, as the economy recovered from a severe recession. But while the rich got much richer, there was little sustained economic improvement for most Americans. By the late 1980s, middle-class incomes were barely higher than they had been a decade before — and the poverty rate had actually risen.

LMFAO! How desperate is THIS? I can't imagine that you've tired of slinging shit against the wall about Bush.

Screw up the settings on your way-back machine?:lol:

You never will simps, he was a great president, the only one respected in many of our lifetimes, and all your bullshit will never change that.

he sure brought back a little respectability internationally after we became wimps under Carter.....

he sure brought back a little respectability internationally after we became wimps under Carter.....

The left loathes Reagan because he was a great president, they have been trying to destroy his legacy for years, because he believed in strong defense and standing up to eneimes, things they don't agree with.

The baby shit in this thread is typical, only the loons go for it, those of us who lived in those days laugh at how stupid these people are. :lol:

Reagan took office in 1981 most of the Budget for the fiscal year beginning October of 1981 had already been put in place by the time he took office on January 20th, of 81. The only thing he got added to that Budget was a fairly mild decrease in tax rates which couldn't possibly have its full impact until tax time 1983 when 1982 taxes are paid.

You told this lie on another thread and were corrected then, but typical of CON$, you Cut & Ran from that thread only to post the same lie here. You could pretend to be a STUPID liar then, but now you expose yourself as a PREMEDITATED liar.
St Ronnie's first budget began Oct 1, 1981 with his Aug 1981 tax cut enacted, bringing about the Reagan Recession of 1982, the worst recession since the Great Depression.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/77108-conservatives-dont-have-a-foot-left-to-shoot-6.html

This guy actually uses facts as opposed to Krugman's incessant ranting about the "wonders" of Keynesian economics.

Using the "misery index" improvement criteria, Mr. Reagan was clearly No. 1, followed by Mr. Clinton and Mr. Kennedy. Mr. Carter by far performed worse than any of the last nine presidents.

The rate of economic growth is often considered a measure of a president's success. However, this measure must be used with care, given it normally takes at least a year after a new president takes office before he can get his initial tax and spending program enacted by Congress. Thus, it is appropriate to lag this measure by one year so a new president is not saddled with the sins or virtues of his predecessor.

John Kennedy is the clear winner in the growth criteria. He had the advantage of taking office during the middle of an economic recovery, and the wisdom to enact major tax cuts, both of which resulted in very high growth rates during and immediately after his administration.

Ronald Reagan comes in next in the growth race, even though the economy suffered from stagnation and double-digit inflation and interest rates when he took office. Also, his major tax cuts were not fully effective until two years into his administration. Mr. Clinton comes in third, having inherited a growing economy, but his policies left the nation in a recession.

Mr. Reagan and Mr. Clinton come in No. 1 and No. 1, respectively, in the jobs' creation race. About 17 million jobs were created during each of their times in office, but Mr. Reagan did it with a labor force about 18 percent smaller than the one when Mr. Clinton took office. In addition, employment lags economic growth, so when an appropriate one-year lag is used to adjust the figures, Mr. Reagan also obtains a substantial absolute advantage in numbers of new jobs created.

Both Mr. Kennedy and Mr. Reagan cut taxes for all income levels. Mr. Kennedy reduced the maximum rate from 91 percent to 70 percent, and Mr. Reagan from 70 percent to 28 percent. In both cases, the economy boomed and federal government tax revenues actually increased. Under Mr. Reagan, federal tax revenues rose from $599 billion in 1981 to $991 billion in 1989. despite the tax rate cuts.

Opponents of Mr. Reagan charge his deficits "left future generations saddled with debt." Mr. Reagan did use debt to partially fund his increase in military spending to win the Cold War, just as Franklin Roosevelt used debt to win World War II. At the end of the Roosevelt administration, the national debt held by the public was more than 100 percent of our gross domestic product (GDP). At the end of the Reagan administration, it was only 41 percent of GDP. (Mr. Kennedy left us with debt equal to 42 percent of GDP; in 1996 at the end of the first Clinton administration, debt was 48 percent of GDP; and it is about 37 percent today.)

As a rough rule of thumb, if the economy grows 6 percent (4 percent real and 2 percent inflation), a deficit of 2 percent to 3 percent yearly can be sustained forever without increasing the national debt burden. (If your personal income grows faster than the amount it costs you to service your debts, you can keep acquiring debt and yet the burden will grow lighter rather than heavier.) During the last three years of both the Reagan and the Kennedy administrations, GDP was growing faster than the debt burden.

By any reasonable criteria, Presidents Reagan and Kennedy were far and away the most economically successful presidents in the past half-century. They both left the economy stronger and freer than they found it. And most Americans, regardless of income level, were clearly better off. Mr. Reagan faced a far tougher challenge than did Mr. Kennedy, whose term was also too short to be definitive.

Tallying Presidential Economic Success | Richard W. Rahn | Cato Institute: Daily Commentary

This post shows the remarkable truth of the Reagan era - both he and Kennedy initiated substantial tax cuts which helped spur on significant economic growth beyond their own terms in office. Kennedy had far fewer economic challenges to face though, and Reagan of course, was dealing with considerable Congressional opposition. If the Democrat Congress during Reagan's time had been willing to curb federal spending just marginally more than they did, the economic growth during the 1980s would have been even more substantial.

Lower taxes. Reduce government.

The simple and basic fundamentals of a successful free economy.

Once again, fantastic post that breaks down into simple terms, the work of a fantastic American President.

:clap2:

Forum List

Back