Debt limit mood darkens as GOP muddles own message

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Debt limit mood darkens as GOP muddles own message - David Rogers - POLITICO.com

Washington’s political mood darkened dramatically Tuesday, as the debt ceiling crisis showed signs of spinning out of control and Republicans began looking for an escape path from the default showdown they helped create.

For the first time, President Barack Obama warned that Social Security checks for millions of senior citizens could be in jeopardy next month, and White House talks ran into the early evening with House leaders missing multiple votes on the floor.

Republicans are no longer making any attempt to hide what’s become a deep-seated distrust of the president, but, even more striking, GOP leaders continue to work at cross-purposes with one another — even at the table in front of Obama himself.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) set the day’s tone early with a blast aimed at the president but implicitly undercutting House Majority Leader Eric Cantor’s efforts to craft a $2 trillion deficit-reduction package with the administration. This followed Cantor’s role in pulling back Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) from pursuing a still larger, $4 trillion, 10-year deal with Obama. And McConnell in turn got his own thumping from House Republicans who quickly dissed his suggested backup plan that would allow the debt ceiling to increase this month, subject only to a resolution of disapproval from Congress.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd2B6SjMh_w]YouTube - ‪Gnarls Barkley - Crazy‬‏[/ame]

Today at work, we started having serious discussions about what to do to prepare for a default. It is because of statements like this.

“Nothing can get through the House right now,” Cantor said after the White House meeting. “Nothing.”

Today at work, we started having serious discussions about what to do to prepare for a default. It is because of statements like this.

“Nothing can get through the House right now,” Cantor said after the White House meeting. “Nothing.”

I honestly can't blame you. Cantor is hellbent on preventing any deal whatsoever. Boehner needs to take back control for the sake of not only his party but country.

Though maybe if Cantor and McConnell weren't too busy playing politics, a deal could be made.

Here is another good line.

“I do trust that when John tells me something he means it,” Obama said. “I think that his challenge right now is inside his caucus. But I think — Ronald Reagan and Tip O’Neill are a great example. Ronald Reagan repeatedly took steps that included revenue, in order for him to accomplish some of these larger goals. And the question is, if Ronald Reagan could compromise, why wouldn’t folks who idolize Ronald Reagan be willing to engage in those same kinds of compromises?”

Here is another good line.

“I do trust that when John tells me something he means it,” Obama said. “I think that his challenge right now is inside his caucus. But I think — Ronald Reagan and Tip O’Neill are a great example. Ronald Reagan repeatedly took steps that included revenue, in order for him to accomplish some of these larger goals. And the question is, if Ronald Reagan could compromise, why wouldn’t folks who idolize Ronald Reagan be willing to engage in those same kinds of compromises?”

It's a fantastic line. It would have worked even better in 2008 when there was all that running around by the GOP candidates when they were trying to say they were the next Ronald Reagan.

Even Reagan raised taxes. He did so I believe seven times.

Though it seems to me that the GOP has turned more to the philosophy of Ayn Rand than Ronald Reagan these days. I could be wrong though.

Forum List

Back