Harry Reid: Entitlement cuts need big deal

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Harry Reid: Entitlement cuts need big deal - Seung Min Kim - POLITICO.com

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said Tuesday that for entitlement cuts, it’s go big on a deal or forget it.

“I will not touch Medicare and Medicaid for some simple little deal,” he told reporters. Reid said he’d only consider changes to the programs if the deal were large and included tax increases.

The White House is continuing to push for the so-called “grand bargain” – a $4 trillion reduction in the deficit that would include raising revenue along with spending cuts – even while Speaker John Boehner pulled out of negotiations on that proposal. House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi also said Tuesday that she doubts a grand bargain is still possible.

But Reid reiterated that he’s not about to give up a key priority for Democrats if Republicans aren’t willing to give.

Harry Reid has now put entitlements on the table. And Mitch McConnell is trying to weasel his way out of dealing with the crisis he helped create. One of these two men is showing real leadership. Though for it have gotten to the point where I'm saying that about Harry Reid of all people makes me feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone.

That's because it's all been a bluff by the right. Sure... there are some True Believers like Bachmann and Cantor, but most politicians of either side are pragmatists.

So... Obama and now Reid has called their bluff. Now we see McConnell basically giving the President the Debt ceiling raise... with no cuts at all.... just what they wanted in the first place.

If I were them, I'd double down and call for the repeal of the Bush tax cuts for people making over $1M/year.

That's because it's all been a bluff by the right. Sure... there are some True Believers like Bachmann and Cantor, but most politicians of either side are pragmatists.

So... Obama and now Reid has called their bluff. Now we see McConnell basically giving the President the Debt ceiling raise... with no cuts at all.... just what they wanted in the first place.

If I were them, I'd double down and call for the repeal of the Bush tax cuts for people making over $1M/year.

The GOP is folding like a cheap suit. McConnell is waving his white flag to keep this issue out of the 2012 election. I hope the dems go for broke and and actually fix things, or at least stop the bleeding so we don't end up like the EU.

1. Fix SS (way to go Barry! Keep pushing and fixing)
2. Improve Medicare/Medicaid (put Max Lifetime Benefit in-place based on contributions)
3. Cut spending, $4-trillion at least, tell the GOP that the Bush Tax cuts will not be extended. We know that prosperity occurs when those tax rates are used, and spending is controlled.

The dems have NY-23 to point to as who has better talkin points

The GOP is folding like a cheap suit. McConnell is waving his white flag to keep this issue out of the 2012 election. I hope the dems go for broke and and actually fix things, or at least stop the bleeding so we don't end up like the EU.

2. Improve Medicare/Medicaid (put Max Lifetime Benefit in-place based on contributions)
3. Cut spending, $4-trillion at least, tell the GOP that the Bush Tax cuts will not be extended. We know that prosperity occurs when those tax rates are used, and spending is controlled.

The Democrats are doubling down while the Republicans are playing politics. It's insane to watch them all try to one-up one another. (By them I mean Boehner, Cantor, and McConnell) Though I give Boehner some credit for his involvement in the talks.

Did you see the accounting gimmick that Cantor brought up today?

The Democrats are doubling down while the Republicans are playing politics. It's insane to watch them all try to one-up one another. (By them I mean Boehner, Cantor, and McConnell) Though I give Boehner some credit for his involvement in the talks.

say Modbert, Q's;

does the dem party incl. the pres. etc. bear any responsibility for being here in this position budgetary, time and negotiation wise?

Is the democratic party incl. the pres. playing politics?

Last edited:

I hope the dems get "the big fucking deal" done now. the GOP wants to push it back, which means catastrophe, I hope Obama sees thru it and sets things right, he has the Bush Tax Cuts to toss in.

reid said SS was off the table because its solvent foe decades.....so?

max contribution? don't insurance policies do that?

4 trillion? why yes I bet you believe in the tooth fairy too....:lol:

I hope the dems get "the big fucking deal" done now. the GOP wants to push it back, which means catastrophe, I hope Obama sees thru it and sets things right, he has the Bush Tax Cuts to toss in.

As the President said previously:

Obama rejects short-term debt deal, urges compromise - CNN

President Barack Obama ruled out any possibility of signing a short-term extension of the federal debt ceiling Monday, insisting that the time has come to tackle the nation's most pressing fiscal problems in a comprehensive way requiring bipartisan compromise on both taxes and cuts to entitlement programs.

Meanwhile, Cantor is trying to say that we'll save $40 billion over 10 years ($4 billion a year) by having college students pay the interest on their government backed loans immediately instead of deferring them until graduation. In reality, all that's going on is that the students will pay the $$$ now instead of later on. No actual savings occur.

say Modbert, Q's;

does the dem party incl. the pres. etc. bear any responsibility for being here in this position budgetary, time and negotiation wise?

I think both parties are in the wrong for having to gotten us to this point. However, the time for action is now. What needs to happen is both parties need to buckle down and make a deal to raise the debt ceiling while cutting spending. Right now, I see the Democrats and the President willing to make major concessions while the GOP wants to give up nothing.

When it's gotten to the point where Harry Reid is coming off as one of the adults in the room, something is going on.

Harry Reid: Entitlement cuts need big deal - Seung Min Kim - POLITICO.com

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said Tuesday that for entitlement cuts, it’s go big on a deal or forget it.

“I will not touch Medicare and Medicaid for some simple little deal,” he told reporters. Reid said he’d only consider changes to the programs if the deal were large and included tax increases.

The White House is continuing to push for the so-called “grand bargain” – a $4 trillion reduction in the deficit that would include raising revenue along with spending cuts – even while Speaker John Boehner pulled out of negotiations on that proposal. House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi also said Tuesday that she doubts a grand bargain is still possible.

But Reid reiterated that he’s not about to give up a key priority for Democrats if Republicans aren’t willing to give.

Harry Reid has now put entitlements on the table. And Mitch McConnell is trying to weasel his way out of dealing with the crisis he helped create. One of these two men is showing real leadership. Though for it have gotten to the point where I'm saying that about Harry Reid of all people makes me feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone.

fro your link, just to clarify-

Read more: Harry Reid: Entitlement cuts need big deal - Seung Min Kim - POLITICO.com

you do know he said just yesterday that ss was OFF the table because it will be solvent for decades........sooo thats changed now? that is an entitlement...no? or did he not mean that........:eusa_eh:

Last edited:
say Modbert, Q's;

I think both parties are in the wrong for having to gotten us to this point. However, the time for action is now. What needs to happen is both parties need to buckle down and make a deal to raise the debt ceiling while cutting spending. Right now, I see the Democrats and the President willing to make major concessions while the GOP wants to give up nothing.

When it's gotten to the point where Harry Reid is coming off as one of the adults in the room, something is going on.

ok ty.

Reid said SS was off the table because its solvent foe decades.....so?

max contribution? don't insurance policies do that?

4 trillion? why yes I bet you believe in the tooth fairy too....

Reid can vote for "The Big Deal",

Medicare & Medicaid need to be run like real insurance policies, WITH LIFETIME LIMITS, if you want more BUY IT!!

$4-trillion is the goal, call it a "stretch objective"

GOP should stand their ground. The dems had control and did nothing but spend to the point we now have to sell the kitchen sink.

Screw Harry Reid........... He had his chance, let them sink

GOP should stand their ground. The dems had control and did nothing but spend to the point we now have to sell the kitchen sink.

Don't forget about two wars and the Bush tax cuts.

Moving 14,000 US factories and 3m US manufacturing jobs overseas was moronic too.

By them, it actually is the U.S economy.

So what you're essentially calling for is the GOP to reject any deal that involves any compromise whatsoever and act like spoiled children. And you're telling me it's not partisanship? :eusa_eh:

Democrats proceed to put entitlements on the table for reform, and you want the GOP to say no. Clearly there's more to this for you than actually cutting the deficit.

I always knew that the Democrats didn't care about the down and out anymore, but thanks for making it official.

You want to end up like Greece? Keep giving freebies to the freeloaders. It stops here. It stops now.

Somehow helping out America's seniors doesn't sound like 'freebies for freeloaders'. Maybe if Americans weren't so quick to leave home and ditch their parents when they become elderly, we wouldn't need Medicare and SS.

One of the reasons why older people live longer is because old isn't = 'poor and starving' anymore.

By them, it actually is the U.S economy.

So what you're essentially calling for is the GOP to reject any deal that involves any compromise whatsoever and act like spoiled children. And you're telling me it's not partisanship? :eusa_eh:

Democrats proceed to put entitlements on the table for reform, and you want the GOP to say no. Clearly there's more to this for you than actually cutting the deficit.

No what im calling for is NO NEW TAXES
What part of stand your ground is in question?

The President & Senate offered the Repubs $4 trillion in austerity (from the poor & middle-class) for a measly $400 billion in revenue (from the wealthy) & the Repubs walked-out/quit. Blatant partisan ploy on the Repubs part.

Forum List

Back