Debate: Constitutional Provision for Gun Ownership is Out of Date with Current Realities

Dec 29, 2016
The constitutional provision for private gun ownership has been made redundant by time as armaments have since progressed beyond the firearm. And a citizens army wielding small arms would have little chance of success against a tyrannical government armed with the some of the best weapons of war man has ever made. What do you think?

The constitutional provision for private gun ownership has been made redundant by time as armaments have since progressed beyond the firearm. And a citizens army wielding small arms would have little chance of success against a tyrannical government armed with the some of the best weapons of war man has ever made. What do you think?
I don't think you know what you're talking about. Time and time again, people have held off armys.

I think that the founders could not have imagined offset printing, let alone the internet and social media. Therefore, your speech has been determined to be detrimental to the country and you may not say such things anymore.

At what point does the Second Amendment specify "small arms"?

No one wants really big nukes to be available, surely.

I think the likelihood of even an oppressive, fascist US government using nukes against rebellious citizens on their own soil is very remote, since they themselves and their own followers also live there. It would take a very stupid, suicidal person to go that route. So I don't really have a problem with the fact that ownership of the quite rare materials necessary for nukes is very restricted, particularly since the cost of those materials is prohibitively high, anyway.

But leaving aside the "all or nothing" fallacy argument, it is a fact that the Founding generation had the technology of large weapons (cannons, for example) available and in use, and felt no necessity to limit the possession of such. You can argue whether or not they were correct in doing so, but you cannot honestly argue that they wrote the Second Amendment in ignorance of the issue.

I don't think you know what you're talking about. Time and time again, people have held off armys.

It worked really well for Defrezze (SLA) and Koresh (branch davidians) and their followers - against a police dept. and a para military LE agency - didn't it.

It worked really well for Defrezze (SLA) and Koresh (branch davidians) and their followers - against a police dept. and a para military LE agency - didn't it.
Afghanistan against the Soviets
The Vietcong against the United States.

I think the likelihood of even an oppressive, fascist US government using nukes against rebellious citizens on their own soil is very remote, since they themselves and their own followers also live there. It would take a very stupid, suicidal person to go that route. So I don't really have a problem with the fact that ownership of the quite rare materials necessary for nukes is very restricted, particularly since the cost of those materials is prohibitively high, anyway.

But leaving aside the "all or nothing" fallacy argument, it is a fact that the Founding generation had the technology of large weapons (cannons, for example) available and in use, and felt no necessity to limit the possession of such. You can argue whether or not they were correct in doing so, but you cannot honestly argue that they wrote the Second Amendment in ignorance of the issue.

And of course it is so easy to carry a cannon into a movie theater, an airport or onto a college campus.

Afghanistan against the Soviets
The Vietcong against the United States.

KIA's, US force 58,000
KIA's VC/NVA (est. 500,00 to 1.4 million)***

*** Vietnam War casualties - Wikipedia

How about those Alamo Defenders?

Forgot about those. Thanks. As you are no doubt aware, facts like these mean nothing to the stains.

Forgot about those. Thanks. As you are no doubt aware, facts like these mean nothing to the stains.

Those who talk the talk, but when it comes to walking the walk, my guess is the first time they see the Elephant they run like a bat out of hell.
They would never be there to begin with. It's a club for men, not makeup wearing pathetic sissies.

Even if that's all true, what's your point? how is having less weaponry better than none? it would seem that the more out gunned you are the more the need for it. but that aside, isn't the claim about guns from those that want stricter controls claiming that they are not wanting to take them away or abolish the second amendment? or has that argument become so transparent that abandoning it altogether now seems a face saving way to go...and what about the first amendment, with all the high tech communications systems and devicecs have we progressed beyond the need for a free press?...I hope not

Even if that's all true, what's your point? how is having less weaponry better than none? it would seem that the more out gunned you are the more the need for it. but that aside, isn't the claim about guns from those that want stricter controls claiming that they are not wanting to take them away or abolish the second amendment? or has that argument become so transparent that abandoning it altogether now seems a face saving way to go...and what about the first amendment, with all the high tech communications systems and devicecs have we progressed beyond the need for a free press?...I hope not

Nice attempt at a spin, sorry, it does not turn. Three points:
  1. Gun control does not mean total gun confiscation from the public sector. The argument that is does, or that any form of gun control will lead to such an outcome is a logical fallacy, i.e. a Slippery Slope Argument. There may be a few extremists who seek such an outcome, but the vast majority of those who seek some control over who owns, possesses or has in their custody and control a firearm does not seek the outlaw of guns by sober, sane and law abiding citizens for protection;
  2. Many NRA supporters argue that any form of gun control violates the 2nd A.; given the fact that gun violence in America has become a common event, one which kills and maims innocents by accident or design, a circumstance with great the costs to treat surveyors, an autopsy when necessary, and the criminal investigation are costly, and paid for by the taxpayer;
  3. Finally, some forms of gun control already exist, and in the opinion of Scalia in Heller, room was left for gun controls; the NRA and it's advocates' argument's against any form of gun control, like yours, are specious.

Nice attempt at a spin, sorry, it does not turn.

AAAHHH, Red Flag alert, when ever a liberal dose of left wing spin is upcoming it is always preceded with the accusation that someone else is guilty of it, unfortunately for you I know how to debunk spin, it needs to be parsed, broken down and dissected piece by piece in order to expose its folly...example follows.
  1. Gun control does not mean total gun confiscation from the public sector.
TOTAL? hmmmm...it may not, but it is what the left refers to as a good first step in that direction

The argument that is does, or that any form of gun control will lead to such an outcome is a logical fallacy, i.e. a Slippery Slope Argument.

That's why it is done in steps, no one step toward the abolishment of anything can be called that, it is when the final step at gun control is enacted that we arrive at a meaningless amendment, it will exist on paper only. It's like removing a tooth, that does not make you toothless, until they are all removed that is, you will still have a mouth to eat with but no bite.
and the slippery slope cliche you tried to pass off as the problem for those who are defending a 250 year old amendment would mean you believe we have been on that slope for our entire existence...when in reality it is those that trifle with our constitutional rights that put us on a slippery slope.

There may be a few extremists who seek such an outcome, but the vast majority of those who seek some control over who owns, possesses or has in their custody and control a firearm does not seek the outlaw of guns by sober, sane and law abiding citizens for protection;

REALLY???
And which category does this fit into:
Debate: Constitutional Provision for Gun Ownership is Out of Date with Current Realities
this is the one you really need to answer!

Last edited:
  • Many NRA supporters argue that any form of gun control violates the 2nd A.;
You know why, because they are the "sober, sane and law abiding citizens;" you referred to. and I would ague that each form of gun control is just another step toward making the 2nd amendment toothless...the fact that you keep referring to the NRA and the second amendment only further strengthens the argument that this about a transparent attempt to abolish the 2nd amendment.
  • given the fact that gun violence in America has become a common event, one which kills and maims innocents by accident or design, a circumstance with great the costs to treat surveyors, an autopsy when necessary, and the criminal investigation are costly, and paid for by the taxpayer;
sounds like a sound argument for the death penalty with no appeals process...which I also would oppose
Well then, problem solved
  • and in the opinion of Scalia in Heller, room was left for gun controls;
Please give the context

the NRA and it's advocates' argument's against any form of gun control, like yours, are specious.

Using another cliche only highlights the transparency of your argument...you do realize if that if you believe the argument looks and appears to be correct but you for whatever reason do not understand it, it would appear to be "specious", while believing in a fallacy such as the one put forth by the left on gun control and parroted here almost word for word by you would not seem "specious" to you just simply because you choose to believe it...I would refer you back to your claim of not wanting to take guns away from "sober, sane, law abiding citizens" and then referring to those same citizens [the NRA] as the ones that are the problem...do you see the awkward contradiction there? if not, that would explain why you see my argument as "specious" and not yours.

Last edited:

And of course it is so easy to carry a cannon into a movie theater, an airport or onto a college campus.

What about the jets, subs, tanks etc?

Forum List

Back