Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Right leaning & pro capital punishment

Votes: 65 44.5%
  • Right leaning & anti capital punishment

Votes: 26 17.8%
  • Right leaning & ambivalent

Votes: 9 6.2%

• Total voters
You dont see many rich people committing murder. proportionally it is poor people because poor people are more likely to be criminals, as they have less to lose.

Would you want to sentance some ponzi scheme guy to the DP just to make things "equal"?

Yet rich people do commit murder

How many get the death penalty?

How many live in a death penalty state? How many commit the murder in the commission of another crime or pre-plan them? (felony murder, which is usually the one that gets the DP)

Doesn't answer the question

Name a single rich person who has been executed

[

When we sentence a rich person to death and execute him, then I will take this seriously.

You dont see many rich people committing murder. proportionally it is poor people because poor people are more likely to be criminals, as they have less to lose.

Would you want to sentance some ponzi scheme guy to the DP just to make things "equal"?

Works for me.

Frankly, the DP for murder is kind of pointless, because usually, a murderer is acting in a fit of passion or is crazy to start with. So it really isn't much of a deterent.

You execute some of these Wall Street Assholes for ruining people's lives, they might get the point.

Incidently rich people DO commit murder. And when they do, they get top notch lawyers who either get them off the hook (OJ) or confuse the issue to the point where they get lighter sentences (the Menendez brothers.)

How many live in a death penalty state? How many commit the murder in the commission of another crime or pre-plan them? (felony murder, which is usually the one that gets the DP)

first define your interpretation of rich
THEN post a person under that criteria who has been found quilly of 1st decree murder in a DP state
then we can discuss it .
facts to be considered
was OJ quilty? is he* rich *(by your definition ) is he a minority ?
phil spector( music magnat ) quilty of murder in a non execution state
is he rich by your standards ?
iTs not a straight forward question to answer
supporting facts my give you a better idea of the answer

I'm actually for the death penalty but I do agree with this comment. John Gotti actually would have been executed had he not died in prison from cancer.

I'm actually for the death penalty but I do agree with this comment. John Gotti actually would have been executed had he not died in prison from cancer.
There are very few wealthy people being executed because they are rarely arrested for capital offenses and if they are, they can offer a better defense than the poor. The death sentences aren't given for committing the worst crimes, but rather for employing the worst lawyers. Our sporting theory of justice where the wealthy can hire the best and the poor get a public defender or a pro bono lawyer tips the scales heavy in favor of the wealthy.

Wrong again john gotti was sentenced to LIPWPP

Gotti and several associates were arrested in 1990. Gotti was convicted by a jury in the United States District Court in New York on April 2, 1992 for 13 counts of murder, conspiracy to commit murder, loansharking, racketeering, obstruction of justice, illegal gambling, and tax evasion; along with his consigliere Frank LoCascio. He was sentenced to life imprisonment without possibility of parole on June 23 later that year . It was assumed that Gotti would serve his sentence at the new federal "supermax" facility at Florence, Colorado, but instead he was sent to the older federal penitentiary at Marion, Illinois, where he was kept in a solitary-confinement cell 23 hours a day.

In general I am anti death penalty. There are exceptions to the rule however.

Um, no, he wouldn't have.

On April 2, 1992, after only 14 hours of deliberation, the jury found Gotti guilty on all charges of the indictment (Locasio was found guilty on all but one). James Fox, director of the New York City FBI, announced at a press conference, "The Teflon is gone. The don is covered with Velcro, and all the charges stuck."[130][131] On June 23, 1992, Glasser sentenced both defendants to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole and a $250,000 fine.

Gotti wasn't sentenced to death. Sammy the Bull did get 17 free murders, though.

There are very few wealthy people being executed because they are rarely arrested for capital offenses and if they are, they can offer a better defense than the poor. The death sentences aren't given for committing the worst crimes, but rather for employing the worst lawyers. Our sporting theory of justice where the wealthy can hire the best and the poor get a public defender or a pro bono lawyer tips the scales heavy in favor of the wealthy.

You get as much justice as you can afford. OJ proved that.

Prisons are just holding pens for the poor, mentally defective, and the emotional unstable who have struck back at society. Most were never found guilty by a jury; they agreed to a plea bargain. So instead of facing the death penalty they get life. Instead of 20 for armed robbery they get five. In most cases they just don't want to gamble on a public defender. It has nothing to do with guilt or innocence.

Our criminal justice system is anything but just. The only thing worst would be no system at all.

Prisons are just holding pens for the poor, mentally defective, and the emotional unstable who have struck back at society. Most were never found guilty by a jury; they agreed to a plea bargain. So instead of facing the death penalty they get life. Instead of 20 for armed robbery they get five. In most cases they just don't want to gamble on a public defender. It has nothing to do with guilt or innocence.

Our criminal justice system is anything but just. The only thing worst would be no system at all.
cus they were not proven quilty by a jury does not mean they were innocent.
they had a choice to be tried by a jury of their peers or cop a plea in front of a judge .
they choose the later ....

cus they were not proven quilty by a jury does not mean they were innocent.
they had a choice to be tried by a jury of their peers or cop a plea in front of a judge .
they choose the later ....

Goes both ways. Just because a jury rules guilty does not mean the defendant actually was guilty.

There's nothing more Big Gubmint than the death penalty.

Thank you!

I have often brought up the contradiction that those who oppose "big government" are often the most ardent supporters of the death penalty. How can you claim to be against big govt. when you support its right to execute its own citizens.

You cannot be a libertarian and support the death penalty. Anyone claiming to be so is a hypocrite.

Absolutely spot on. It's funny, when you accept a plea bargain the judge asks if you are doing so under your own free will. Well, of course you are. You're doing it so you get 5 years instead of 20. But the thing is that while it doesn't legally count as coercion, it absolutely is a form of coercion.

There's nothing more Big Gubmint than the death penalty.

Thank you!

I have often brought up the contradiction that those who oppose "big government" are often the most ardent supporters of the death penalty. How can you claim to be against big govt. when you support its right to execute its own citizens.

You cannot be a libertarian and support the death penalty. Anyone claiming to be so is a hypocrite.
you certainly can libertarians are for smaller GOVT and opposed to it interfering in private lives private choices . law and order in a society is a differant animal without it you have anarchy
you obviosly dont understand the libertarian manifesto
plus we libertarians believe in free will and free expression of ideas thats why there is disagreement between ourselves as to the DP and abortion ..unlike the other parties where you **just follow and mouth the party line * with no individual liberty to disagree
the wishes of the victims family would have a bearing on the outcome *whether DP or life imprisonment * but the death penalty should be available even if used sparingly .

http://archive.mises.org/13249/the-libertarian-position-on-capital-punishment/

Last edited:

Forum List

Back