Death Panels Plus?

Isn't that what insurance is for? If you paid for a catastrophic policy that covered transplants on 100 year old and you need a transplant at 100, then what's the problem? If you get really sick that's what it's there for, isn't it? What insurance should not be covering is doctors visits, routine checkups, etc.

If I wreck my car to the tune of thousands of dollars my insurance covers it. They don't cover oil changes and yearly inspections because that would drive the cost of car insurance through to roof.

Extending life beyond the 100 year marker is an anomoly. Just how long did you wanna live, Zoom-boing? Why should insurance set aside huge dollars for your heroic care at that advanced age and deprive the young of access to ordinary preventive care?

This seems to me the very height of selfishness...and hubris. You live to 103 on your own steam, great. You need millions of dollars of heroic care to live that long, pay for it in cash or die.

We all die. I dunno why we have the fixation with long life that we do, and I see no reason to steal from the young to fuel it.

If I've paid the money for a catastrophic policy and my doctor and I think it's a go (I can't imagine this, just putting it out there), then why shouldn't my insurance cover it?

If doctor's visits and yearly checkups and mamograms weren't covered (comparing it to routine maintenance on your car), don't you think the cost of health insurance would come down? Don't you think doctors would then be forced to compete with each other and prices would come down? If I could shop around for a better doc at a better price, I would. I can't do that now; I have to shop around and go to whoever takes my insurance. Seems backwards to me.

fwit, I'm planning on living to 100 all on my own. heh

Why not? Because 9 times out of 10, the patient either does not want the care or cannot consent to it -- we have a strong bias in favor of "doing everything" in this country that is inhumane and insensible when it comes to the very aged.

Few people wanna circle the drain for a decade or more, but modern medicine makes that possible.

We are so irrational about death in the US.

Extending life beyond the 100 year marker is an anomoly. Just how long did you wanna live, Zoom-boing? Why should insurance set aside huge dollars for your heroic care at that advanced age and deprive the young of access to ordinary preventive care?

This seems to me the very height of selfishness...and hubris. You live to 103 on your own steam, great. You need millions of dollars of heroic care to live that long, pay for it in cash or die.

We all die. I dunno why we have the fixation with long life that we do, and I see no reason to steal from the young to fuel it.

If I've paid the money for a catastrophic policy and my doctor and I think it's a go (I can't imagine this, just putting it out there), then why shouldn't my insurance cover it?

If doctor's visits and yearly checkups and mamograms weren't covered (comparing it to routine maintenance on your car), don't you think the cost of health insurance would come down? Don't you think doctors would then be forced to compete with each other and prices would come down? If I could shop around for a better doc at a better price, I would. I can't do that now; I have to shop around and go to whoever takes my insurance. Seems backwards to me.

Why not? Because 9 times out of 10, the patient either does not want the care or cannot consent to it -- we have a strong bias in favor of "doing everything" in this country that is inhumane and insensible when it comes to the very aged.

Few people wanna circle the drain for a decade or more, but modern medicine makes that possible.

That should be between the doctor and the patient, not the government or the insurance company and if I've paid for the catastrophic coverage for myself, then I should be able to get it.

I've never heard of a 100 year old getting a transplant, have you? I find this particular scenario unheard of. Just arguing that if that's what I can afford then why shouldn't I be able to receive it if both patient and doctor agree it's worth doing?

Do you think routine maintenance should be covered under insurance? I don't.

Forgive me, but just how much did y'all want to spend to keep 100 year olds alive?

That's a personal decision and one that should not be made by the government or their "death panels". This is a decision that should be made between a doctor and his patient. Not the doctor and the government.

So let's be clear. Your position is that anyone receiving government compensation to pay the cost of their healthcare should never be denied payment, from the government, for any healthcare they desire, as long as they and their doctor agree to it?

good gawd, Lefties are some scary people.

Not only do they not care about killing their own children, they call that a (woman's choice).
Now they advocate letting yours and mine grandma's and grandpa's just die off, what good are they anyway.

They might as well just build OVENS and gas the Old bags.

That should be between the doctor and the patient, not the government or the insurance company and if I've paid for the catastrophic coverage for myself, then I should be able to get it.

I've never heard of a 100 year old getting a transplant, have you? I find this particular scenario unheard of. Just arguing that if that's what I can afford then why shouldn't I be able to receive it if both patient and doctor agree it's worth doing?

Do you think routine maintenance should be covered under insurance? I don't.

But who decides whether or not your policy covers a specific treatment or procedure, if your policy is not explicit in that regard?

Not only do they not care about killing their own children, they call that a (woman's choice).
Now they advocate letting yours and mine grandma's and grandpa's just die off, what good are they anyway.

Speaking of gasbags....

Speaking of gasbags....

No one is calling for killing the elderly, but why should we spend millions to buy some old person a few more months or even years of crappy life? Can anyone explain to me how this makes sense...and yet we are conflicted about whether to even feed the young?

This country's conservatives strike me sometimes as completely out of touch with reality.

Speaking of gasbags....

No one is calling for killing the elderly, but why should we spend millions to buy some old person a few more months or even years of crappy life? Can anyone explain to me how this makes sense...and yet we are conflicted about whether to even feed the young?

This country's conservatives strike me sometimes as completely out of touch with reality.

Keep in mind that the core conservative position is that the government shouldn't be paying for ANY of this, period,

so in their Utopia, old people and their doctors would be fighting with some official from a for-profit insurance company over whether or not they'd be kept alive at enormous cost.

Forgive me, but just how much did y'all want to spend to keep 100 year olds alive?

That attitude, right there, is why people in the government SHOULD NOT be allowed to have panels deciding such things!!!!

Sure, baby, sure. So let us deprive a five year old of the care needed to prevent a dihibilitating illness so some old man or woman can live another three weeks.

Why does it always have to be one or the other with you?

We could take care of both.....that is IF we don't let the government control the entire thing.

Sure we need reforms but we don't need the same people who run the DMV to run our Insurance.

when this first surfaced back in Oct 09 or there about, why didn't they the admin. explain it?

I think folks are spooked by an incentive being provided as to conversation along these lines, 'terminal' illness, what to do, not to do, hey I would hope my doctor would say: let me say a few words on what you or your wife etc. has and what can and cannot be done and what you are looking at down the road” , even if the road is narrow and short.

The consternation is driven by the ‘sneakiness’ involved and because this conversation and impetus to have one is built into a huge regulatory creation/expansion gov. prgm. that has as one of their primary goals; cost reduction.

Last edited:

Speaking of gasbags....

So who judges if the person's life quality is "crappy" or "good". Is it just based on their age?

Why do you want the government to have the power to make that decision?

when this first surfaced back in Oct 09 or there about, why didn't they, the admin., explain it?

I think folks are spooked by an incentive being provided as to conversation along these lines, 'terminal' illness, what to do, not to do, hey I would hope my doctor would say: let me say a few words on what you or your wife etc. has and what can and cannot be done and what you are looking at down the road” , even if the road is narrow and short.

The consternation is driven by the ‘sneakiness’ involved and because this conversation and impetus to have one is built into a huge regulatory creation/expansion gov. prgm. that has as one of their primary goals; cost reduction.

Trajan understands people very well!!!

And they didn't explain it because they know the citizens of the United States are smart enough to not willfully and knowingly give the government that kind of power.

That attitude, right there, is why people in the government SHOULD NOT be allowed to have panels deciding such things!!!!

Sure, baby, sure. So let us deprive a five year old of the care needed to prevent a dihibilitating illness so some old man or woman can live another three weeks.

We could take care of both.....that is IF we don't let the government control the entire thing.

Sure we need reforms but we don't need the same people who run the DMV to run our Insurance.

Really? We "could" do this because why? Money is made of silly putty? Have you looked at the population age stats lately, PLYMCO_PILGRIM?

And BTW, if we "could" do both well, how come we never have?

when this first surfaced back in Oct 09 or there about, why didn't they, the admin., explain it?

And they didn't explain it because they know the citizens of the United States are smart enough to not willfully and knowingly give the government that kind of power.

Because I am so much better off if the person making my health care decisions is relying on a bottom line profit rather than on government regulations?

Uh huh. Not feeling this so much, PLYMCO_PILGRIM.

Really? We "could" do this because why? Money is made of silly putty? Have you looked at the population age stats lately, PLYMCO_PILGRIM?

You need to look before you leap. We do both RIGHT NOW under our current system.

You need to look before you leap. We do both RIGHT NOW under our current system.

There are about 60 Million uninsured people now, PLYMCO_PILGRIM. I'd say the system we have is broken.

Because I am so much better off if the person making my health care decisions is relying on a bottom line profit rather than on government regulations?

Please don't put up a strawman and knock it down when responding to me, its lame.

Since we are on the strawman thing right now let me try.

The governments regulations will be to reduce the bottom line to an extent that goes further than what insurance companies currently do in search of profits leaving EVERYONE with less care. So you want people to have less care then they do now.

Man strawmen make arguing so much easier.

Please don't put up a strawman and knock it down when responding to me, its lame.

The governments regulations will be to reduce the bottom line to an extent that goes further than what insurance companies currently do in search of profits leaving EVERYONE with less care. So you want people to have less care then they do now.

It is my contention that a for-profit health insurance industry is bad for the nation.

wow, just wow. You didn't think that through rocks.

if you really want to get into the discussion as to who qualitatively brings more to the table ala the collective, and how deserves what based on that, well, I don't think you want to have that argument.

if you do please let me know. Please.

It is my contention that a for-profit health insurance industry is bad for the nation.

there is no other way to go, like it or not some earn the right to more provisions than some and a seat at the fire.....

Forum List

Back