Death of the Big XII?

Nate

Gold Member
May 7, 2010
Sooner State
Source: Pac-10

Conference poised to invite 6 Big 12 Conference teams - ESPN

With Nebraska apparently headed to the Big Ten, the Pac-10 is poised to become the Pac-16.

Colorado already has received an invitation to join the conference, while five other invitations will be extended to Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech, according to a source familiar with the negotiations.

A Big 12 football coach, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, told ESPN.com's Mark Schlabach on Wednesday night that if Nebraska left the Big 12 the conference would dissolve, according to his athletics director and university president. The coach said Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Colorado would join the Pac-10, leaving Baylor, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri and Iowa State behind.

"Nebraska is the key," the coach said.

The coach said the Pac-10 favored Colorado over Baylor because of the Buffaloes' presence in the Denver TV market.

Another Big 12 coach said Wednesday night that an anticipated Nebraska announcement of moving toward the Big Ten Thursday would indeed trigger the death of the Big 12 and a mass migration west.

"If Nebraska leaves," the coach said, "everyone has to look."

Damn how long did the conference last almost 15 yrs? Should the rest go back to the Big 8 or go where the money is;

Source: Pac-10

Conference poised to invite 6 Big 12 Conference teams - ESPN

It would take a week to 10 days to finalize the details of a Pac-16. The blockbuster deal would add the nation's No. 5 (Dallas), No. 10 (Houston) and No. 16 (Denver) TV markets to the conference, which already includes No. 2 Los Angeles, No. 6 San Francisco, No. 12 Phoenix and No. 13 Seattle.

With that large population base, the new conference would start its own network and, along with other broadcast partners, likely would distribute around $20 million per member, comparable broadcast revenue to the Big Ten ($22 million) and SEC ($17 million), the source said.

If all of college football ended tomorrow my life wouldn't change one bit. I suspect yours wouldn't either.

If all of college football ended tomorrow my life wouldn't change one bit. I suspect yours wouldn't either.

Agreed, to only live one's life for a sport is rediculous. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on that matter in case others may feel that way though. Guess it was kinda silly of me to post a sports story on a political message board but hey I saw a sports section and thought what the hell maybe someone else had an opinion on it.

Rule Number 1: No conference gets to call itself "Big" anything

Rule Numbr 2: You don't get to call yorself Pacific or Atlantic unless all the schools are on the Pacific or Atlantic

Rule Number 3: All the new super conferences have to agree to a playoff format that leads to a national championship

Agreed, to only live one's life for a sport is rediculous. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on that matter in case others may feel that way though. Guess it was kinda silly of me to post a sports story on a political message board but hey I saw a sports section and thought what the hell maybe someone else had an opinion on it.

Hey, we love talking sports here, that's why we have a sports section!

And thanks for the heads up about Nebraska joining the Big 10, we needed another one, since there was 11 (after they added Penn State) but I think they can't call it the 'Big 10' anymore, eh?

{Indiana University Grad here btw-our football team sucks :( }

Hey, we love talking sports here, that's why we have a sports section!

And thanks for the heads up about Nebraska joining the Big 10, we needed another one, since there was 11 (after they added Penn State) but I think they can't call it the 'Big 10' anymore, eh?

{Indiana University Grad here btw-our football team sucks :( }

Nebraska had a pretty good season last year, should be a great addition to the Big 10 conf. From what I had heard on the radio this morning, sounds like the Big 12 has always been a house of cards and all that it would take to knock it over would be one of the big players(Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas, etc.) to abandon it for another conference. Looks like Neb. decided it was time.

No one is talking about the strongest conference (the SEC)

they wouldn't take any of the weak sisters out of the big 12 but they might take Texas.

Texas A&M has already talked to the SEC but to keep the rivalry there isn't anyway Texas and Texas A&M would split. That wouldn't be a bad deal at all adding those two to the SEC. And they already have the SEC network.

I can't believe the Big 12 is just going to fold like that. Especially while the perpetually weak and lame Big 10 is going to persist.

BTW, Big 10 people, Nebraska is going to stomp the shit out of you guys. It was obvious towards the end of last season that the machine was back.

I'll bet there are some scared Buckeye fans right now. They no longer get the Big 10 handed to them.

I can't believe the Big 12 is just going to fold like that. Especially while the perpetually weak and lame Big 10 is going to persist.

BTW, Big 10 people, Nebraska is going to stomp the shit out of you guys. It was obvious towards the end of last season that the machine was back.

I'll bet there are some scared Buckeye fans right now. They no longer get the Big 10 handed to them.

Well, at least there's a silver lining to all of that, O$U Fans are arrogant SOB's!

Well, at least there's a silver lining to all of that, O$U Fans are arrogant SOB's!

Oh. Nebraska will embarrass them almost as badly as Florida embarrassed them in the Championship Game. If ever you want an example of the disparities between the conferences, there you go. I mean, Florida just destroyed them.

The Big 12 was the second toughest conference in this country (no one can argue the dominance of the SEC. There was no reason to break it up.

The sad truth is that the shuffling is really about money and that's what college football has become these days. Big moneys. The players don't see a dime of it, but the school is making way more off the football team than the engineering department.

Forum List

Back