Dealing with anxiety

Snownater

Rookie
Mar 6, 2017
I have anxiety but also have some obsessive features I think that create a vicious cycle where I have to research everything to help cope with the anxiety. It's also because I have generalized anxiety where I worry about things because of money issues. Like recently, I've been incessantly looking through pharmacy reviews as a part of being started on a new medication recently. I'm not sure that this is necessarily a good way to cope but I feel like looking up things does make me feel less anxious but I also feel like I'm kinda wasting my life away because it takes me a few hours at least, in order start feeling back to where I can function again. My therapist says that I should try and redirect my anxiety and compulsion and do something productive. Which is why I'm trying to interact more with things like forums and such. Anyway, I don't know if this helps at all, but I hope you can find a way to get better.

Welcome to USMB. You didn't ask for advice, so this is free and worth the price.

A lot of brain issues are due to chemical imbalances - and should be treated with supplements instead of drugs. The treatment should be based on the region of the brain that is out of balance.

Dr. Amen has done a lot of research in this area:

http://www.amenclinics.com/healthy-vs-unhealthy/anxiety-depression/

I have anxiety but also have some obsessive features I think that create a vicious cycle where I have to research everything to help cope with the anxiety. It's also because I have generalized anxiety where I worry about things because of money issues. Like recently, I've been incessantly looking through pharmacy reviews as a part of being started on a new medication recently. I'm not sure that this is necessarily a good way to cope but I feel like looking up things does make me feel less anxious but I also feel like I'm kinda wasting my life away because it takes me a few hours at least, in order start feeling back to where I can function again. My therapist says that I should try and redirect my anxiety and compulsion and do something productive. Which is why I'm trying to interact more with things like forums and such. Anyway, I don't know if this helps at all, but I hope you can find a way to get better.
Arguing with people isn't going to help your anxiety. I'd find real friends and a real hobby. Do you have a job? Too much time sitting around thinking isn't helpful.

Welcome to USMB. You didn't ask for advice, so this is free and worth the price.

A lot of brain issues are due to chemical imbalances - and should be treated with supplements instead of drugs. The treatment should be based on the region of the brain that is out of balance.

http://www.amenclinics.com/healthy-vs-unhealthy/anxiety-depression/
Good point. Juicing is a good way to get the nutrients one needs. Pills seem to always have negative consequences.

Healing Anxiety and Depression | Amen Clinics
Good point. Juicing is a good way to get the nutrients one needs. Pills seem to always have negative consequences.

I am very skeptical of using Big Pharma to treat mental and emotional issues before trying natural alternatives. It's just too easy for a doctor to write a script instead of dealing with what is often a chemical imbalance.

I am very skeptical of using Big Pharma to treat mental and emotional issues before trying natural alternatives. It's just too easy for a doctor to write a script instead of dealing with what is often a chemical imbalance.
Yeah and he makes no money going the natural way. Plus shrinks like you to believe that you will need them on a regular basis. I always question advice from those who stand to gain financially.

Yeah and he makes no money going the natural way. Plus shrinks like you to believe that you will need them on a regular basis. I always question advice from those who stand to gain financially.

Agreed! I know quite a few people who have endured "therapist abuse". One actually had a therapist who got angry at him when he said he felt he didn't need more treatment. They make more money keeping the person dependent on them, not in curing them.

Agreed! I know quite a few people who have endured "therapist abuse". One actually had a therapist who got angry at him when he said he felt he didn't need more treatment. They make more money keeping the person dependent on them, not in curing them.
I never went to one for worked for a few, signage related stuff. One gal wrote a three page single line letter explaining the half dozen words she chose to put on her door. I like to get things done as efficiently as possible but it was obvious she liked the drawn out process.

Hey Snownator, welcome to USMB! Glad your reaching out.

Money can create a lot of anxiety, true. I've had similar problems with anxiety before where I stress about something and then when I "solve it mentally" the stress releases. Are you worried about medication costs?

Money can create a lot of anxiety, true. I've had similar problems with anxiety before where I stress about something and then when I "solve it mentally" the stress releases. Are you worried about medication costs?

Agree. That has actually happened to me when I brought it up and said it is probably time to start quitting medication and try to address it in a natural way. He didn't feel happy. I have heard that there is some type of affiliation and they get commissions or something like that for hooking up people on prescriptions. Not sure if it is true but definitely makes sense...

Definitely, I am worried about the cost. I found a supplier that has them for acceptable price (had to outsource my prescriptions overseas) bit still it hurts...

Definitely, I am worried about the cost. I found a supplier that has them for acceptable price (had to outsource my prescriptions overseas) bit still it hurts...

I see. Well if you're looking for a better option (and I'm not trying to feed the beast here) this site has well-researched reviews of which pharmacies to trust. Hope that helps.

I see. Well if you're looking for a better option (and I'm not trying to feed the beast here) this site has well-researched reviews of which pharmacies to trust. Hope that helps.
Thanks for the advice. I am sure abrupting my meds suddenly is not the best idea but I am definitely taking it down gradually.

Agree. That has actually happened to me when I brought it up and said it is probably time to start quitting medication and try to address it in a natural way. He didn't feel happy. I have heard that there is some type of affiliation and they get commissions or something like that for hooking up people on prescriptions. Not sure if it is true but definitely makes sense...
Imagine you come with a sinus to your MD and he gets you an antibiotic prescription. He does not get any financial kickbacks for that, but if he prescribes 5000 of them a month, the drug company will reach out to him to set up a conference. Money... Don't trust the docs, they make money on you.

Imagine you come with a sinus to your MD and he gets you an antibiotic prescription. He does not get any financial kickbacks for that, but if he prescribes 5000 of them a month, the drug company will reach out to him to set up a conference. Money... Don't trust the docs, they make money on you.

That's a bit of an overreach. There are many fine and ethical doctors who treat patients in an effective manner. The goal is to cure the curable, and to make the incurable less painful.

Talking therapists, on the other hand, sometime have the agenda of keeping the patient in therapy. They make their money on the hourly fees. It's important to be clear about what the goal of the treatment is,so one can know if its effective.

And keep in mind Sturgeon's Law: 90% of everything is crap.

Forum List

Back