Dayton Caves on Minnesota Budget

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
ST. PAUL, Minn. (FOX 9) - Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton sent a letter Thursday to House Speaker Kurt Zellers and Senate Majority Leader Amy Koch, saying he "reluctantly" agrees to accept the Republican budget proposal from June 30.

Dayton said accepting the offer would bridge a $1.4 billion gap between him and the Republican leadership. The governor says he has "serious reservations" about the GOP plan, but Minnesota’s government shutdown must end.

With an agreement in place, Dayton says he’s ready to call a special session to end the shutdown within three days.

Dayton Agrees to Republican Budget to End Minnesota Shutdown

Minnesota Republicans stuck to their guns and won. Now let's see if their cowardly counterparts in D.C. do the same with the debt ceiling.

Minnesota Governor Mark Dayton wanted to raise taxes on the wealthy as part of his solution to the states debt.
Why?

Study finds Minnesota's tax system still regressive

High-income Minnesotans continue to pay lower overall tax rates than everyone else, according to a new tax incidence study released today by the Minnesota Department of Revenue.

<snip>

The overall state and local tax burden averaged 11.5 percent of income in 2008. The state's highest-income taxpayers &#8212; the 10 percent of households earning more than $130,000 &#8212; paid an effective tax rate of 10.3 percent. The remaining 90 percent of low- and middle-income households paid a substantially higher effective tax rate of 12.3 percent.

MinnPost - Study finds Minnesota's tax system still regressive

How can anyone blame Dayton for wanting to level the playing field regarding the effective tax rate for all Minnesotans?

ST. PAUL, Minn. (FOX 9) - Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton sent a letter Thursday to House Speaker Kurt Zellers and Senate Majority Leader Amy Koch, saying he "reluctantly" agrees to accept the Republican budget proposal from June 30.

Dayton said accepting the offer would bridge a $1.4 billion gap between him and the Republican leadership. The governor says he has "serious reservations" about the GOP plan, but Minnesota’s government shutdown must end.

With an agreement in place, Dayton says he’s ready to call a special session to end the shutdown within three days.

Minnesota Republicans stuck to their guns and won. Now let's see if their cowardly counterparts in D.C. do the same with the debt ceiling.
DING DONG THE DIP IS DEAD!

Now to find out how bad the cuts are to my part of that government and whether or not I eat a layoff and for how long I'll be sucking on unemployment.

The funny part? I'm not worried.

Then there's this:

MillerCoors kicked off state shelves

The MillerCoors brewing company landed in the cross hairs of Minnesota's government shutdown Wednesday when state officials said it would have to stop selling its beer in the state because of expired licenses.

The Department of Public Safety told the brewer it must stop distribution in Minnesota and devise a plan to pull its product from the shelves, including Coors, Coors Lite, Miller Lite, Miller High Life and 35 other name-brand beers. That would decimate choices for consumers. MillerCoors supplies 38 percent of the beer sold in Minnesota, and the state is one of the top five markets in the country for the brewing giant.

MillerCoors kicked off state shelves | StarTribune.com

Plus up to 300 bars were about to lose their license because they were due to expire!!!!!:eek:

You left out this point.

"Dayton said his acceptance was contingent on Republicans' dropping all controversial policy positions as well as the push to cut 15 percent of the state's work force and the passage of a $500 million bonding bill."
Dayton agrees to June 30 GOP offer, with conditions | StarTribune.com

Ah, well that's a different article.
That's the Strib for you. Gotta be in the tank for Dayton.

Oh wait... Now I see it's just a Strib reporter's BLOG! Do you guys even LOOK for reputable news anymore or is it all just blog blog blog?

If these conditions are now true, which is debatable since it's a blog, you can bet I should rescind my joy from earlier because Zellers and Co. aren't going to play that game with this putz. I'm shocked Dayton caved first actually.

But, as I read further into the blog, If any of this is true, my desire for joy is short lived because I'm quite certain the concessions he wants will not materialize with the cantankerous tea partiers in the MN legislature.

I guess the public outcry over banning the sale of beer and tobacco "because nobody's available to enforce the permits" was pushing their luck too much.

Then there's this:

MillerCoors kicked off state shelves

The MillerCoors brewing company landed in the cross hairs of Minnesota's government shutdown Wednesday when state officials said it would have to stop selling its beer in the state because of expired licenses.

The Department of Public Safety told the brewer it must stop distribution in Minnesota and devise a plan to pull its product from the shelves, including Coors, Coors Lite, Miller Lite, Miller High Life and 35 other name-brand beers. That would decimate choices for consumers. MillerCoors supplies 38 percent of the beer sold in Minnesota, and the state is one of the top five markets in the country for the brewing giant.

MillerCoors kicked off state shelves | StarTribune.com

Plus up to 300 bars were about to lose their license because they were due to expire!!!!!:eek:
Not to mention business owners calling into local talk shows were telling how they were being barred by the DNR from getting basic FREE permits and refused the ability to operate and work. And of course the news came out that the State Fair (which is the only privately funded and profitable one in the nation) would be shut down due to no inspectors to check the food and rides, didn't help him either.

You left out this point.

"Dayton said his acceptance was contingent on Republicans' dropping all controversial policy positions as well as the push to cut 15 percent of the state's work force and the passage of a $500 million bonding bill."
Dayton agrees to June 30 GOP offer, with conditions | StarTribune.com

Oh wait... Now I see it's just a Strib reporter's BLOG! Do you guys even LOOK for reputable news anymore or is it all just blog blog blog?
If these conditions are now true, which is debatable since it's a blog, you can bet I should rescind my joy from earlier because Zellers and Co. aren't going to play that game with this putz. I'm shocked Dayton caved first actually.

But, as I read further into the blog, If any of this is true, my desire for joy is short lived because I'm quite certain the concessions he wants will not materialize with the cantankerous tea partiers in the MN legislature.

I guess the public outcry over banning the sale of beer and tobacco "because nobody's available to enforce the permits" was pushing their luck too much.

Fitz, it's a friggen quote by Dayton and the "blog' provided more info than the local Fox owned station (surprise, surprise).

Fitz, it's a friggen quote by Dayton and the "blog' provided more info than the local Fox owned station (surprise, surprise).
yeah, and the story was updated after the fox report, so the letter was made available only minutes ago. The Strib still sucks like a singularity for their quality of reporting. If it weren't for the letter, I'd still be dubious of all it's claims.

The NC Governor's veto was overridden as well.

yeah, and the story was updated after the fox report, so the letter was made available only minutes ago. The Strib still sucks like a singularity for their quality of reporting. If it weren't for the letter, I'd still be dubious of all it's claims.

Fitz, I read the Star Tribune article before I read the Fox stations piece and as of this minute, the local Fox station has yet to update their story.
And yes, I know the Trib has a more so liberal editorial staff but they seem to be more up on the real facts than say,,,,the local Fox station. Oh well, one is a newspaper, the other's business is more or less entertainment.

Minnesota Governor Mark Dayton wanted to raise taxes on the wealthy as part of his solution to the states debt.
Why?

High-income Minnesotans continue to pay lower overall tax rates than everyone else, according to a new tax incidence study released today by the Minnesota Department of Revenue.

<snip>

The overall state and local tax burden averaged 11.5 percent of income in 2008. The state's highest-income taxpayers — the 10 percent of households earning more than $130,000 — paid an effective tax rate of 10.3 percent. The remaining 90 percent of low- and middle-income households paid a substantially higher effective tax rate of 12.3 percent.

How can anyone blame Dayton for wanting to level the playing field regarding the effective tax rate for all Minnesotans?

So all Minnesotans pay tax and the wealthy aren't paying enough?

Or, as with the rest of the country, are 50% of Minnesotans not paying tax at all and this 'level playing field' is really just wanting someone else to pay more so the lazy and illiterate don't have to?

Fuck 'em.

Why?

<snip>

The overall state and local tax burden averaged 11.5 percent of income in 2008. The state's highest-income taxpayers — the 10 percent of households earning more than $130,000 — paid an effective tax rate of 10.3 percent. The remaining 90 percent of low- and middle-income households paid a substantially higher effective tax rate of 12.3 percent.

So all Minnesotans pay tax and the wealthy aren't paying enough?

Or, as with the rest of the country, are 50% of Minnesotans not paying tax at all and this 'level playing field' is really just wanting someone else to pay more so the lazy and illiterate don't have to?

Fuck 'em.

The very least we can do is STOP paying REBATES to those who pay ZERO Federal or State Tax.

The Department of Public Safety told the brewer it must stop distribution in Minnesota and devise a plan to pull its product from the shelves, including Coors, Coors Lite, Miller Lite, Miller High Life and 35 other name-brand beers.

Well, at least one good thing came of this shut down!

Fitz, I read the Star Tribune article before I read the Fox stations piece and as of this minute, the local Fox station has yet to update their story.
And yes, I know the Trib has a more so liberal editorial staff but they seem to be more up on the real facts than say,,,,the local Fox station. Oh well, one is a newspaper, the other's business is more or less entertainment.
Channel 9 is no more or less a reliable source of news than the STrib.

After all, both of them keep that useless old skank C.J. employed.

Channel 9 is no more or less a reliable source of news than the STrib.

After all, both of them keep that useless old skank C.J. employed.

I wouldn't go so low as calling CJ a "shank" but yeah, she's pretty worthless..

Why?

<snip>

Flat tax would fix that problem easily, but I have no doubt that Dayton would oppose such a thing.

Forum List

Back