Dayton Caves on Minnesota Budget

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Dont Taz Me Bro, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Dont Taz Me Bro

Dont Taz Me Bro USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,511
    Minnesota Republicans stuck to their guns and won. Now let's see if their cowardly counterparts in D.C. do the same with the debt ceiling.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. kiwiman127

kiwiman127 Comfortably Moderate Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    4th Cleanest City in the World-Minneapolis
    Ratings:
    +3,848
  3. Dont Taz Me Bro

Dont Taz Me Bro USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,511
    Ah, well that's a different article.

4. kiwiman127

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,848
    Minnesota Governor Mark Dayton wanted to raise taxes on the wealthy as part of his solution to the states debt.
    Why?

Study finds Minnesota's tax system still regressive

High-income Minnesotans continue to pay lower overall tax rates than everyone else, according to a new tax incidence study released today by the Minnesota Department of Revenue.

<snip>

The overall state and local tax burden averaged 11.5 percent of income in 2008. The state's highest-income taxpayers &#8212; the 10 percent of households earning more than $130,000 &#8212; paid an effective tax rate of 10.3 percent. The remaining 90 percent of low- and middle-income households paid a substantially higher effective tax rate of 12.3 percent.

MinnPost - Study finds Minnesota's tax system still regressive

How can anyone blame Dayton for wanting to level the playing field regarding the effective tax rate for all Minnesotans?

5. Big Fitz

Big Fitz User Quit *****

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,475
    DING DONG THE DIP IS DEAD!

Now to find out how bad the cuts are to my part of that government and whether or not I eat a layoff and for how long I'll be sucking on unemployment.

The funny part? I'm not worried.

6. kiwiman127

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,848
    Then there's this:

MillerCoors kicked off state shelves

The MillerCoors brewing company landed in the cross hairs of Minnesota's government shutdown Wednesday when state officials said it would have to stop selling its beer in the state because of expired licenses.

The Department of Public Safety told the brewer it must stop distribution in Minnesota and devise a plan to pull its product from the shelves, including Coors, Coors Lite, Miller Lite, Miller High Life and 35 other name-brand beers. That would decimate choices for consumers. MillerCoors supplies 38 percent of the beer sold in Minnesota, and the state is one of the top five markets in the country for the brewing giant.

MillerCoors kicked off state shelves | StarTribune.com

Plus up to 300 bars were about to lose their license because they were due to expire!!!!!:eek:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. Big Fitz

Big Fitz User Quit *****

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,475
    That's the Strib for you. Gotta be in the tank for Dayton.

Oh wait... Now I see it's just a Strib reporter's BLOG! Do you guys even LOOK for reputable news anymore or is it all just blog blog blog?

If these conditions are now true, which is debatable since it's a blog, you can bet I should rescind my joy from earlier because Zellers and Co. aren't going to play that game with this putz. I'm shocked Dayton caved first actually.

But, as I read further into the blog, If any of this is true, my desire for joy is short lived because I'm quite certain the concessions he wants will not materialize with the cantankerous tea partiers in the MN legislature.

I guess the public outcry over banning the sale of beer and tobacco "because nobody's available to enforce the permits" was pushing their luck too much.

8. Big Fitz

Big Fitz User Quit *****

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,475
    Not to mention business owners calling into local talk shows were telling how they were being barred by the DNR from getting basic FREE permits and refused the ability to operate and work. And of course the news came out that the State Fair (which is the only privately funded and profitable one in the nation) would be shut down due to no inspectors to check the food and rides, didn't help him either.

9. kiwiman127

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,848
    Fitz, it's a friggen quote by Dayton and the "blog' provided more info than the local Fox owned station (surprise, surprise).

10. Big Fitz

Big Fitz User Quit *****

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,475
    yeah, and the story was updated after the fox report, so the letter was made available only minutes ago. The Strib still sucks like a singularity for their quality of reporting. If it weren't for the letter, I'd still be dubious of all it's claims.