Dave Canterbury on youtube. 1000 vids literally

May 21, 2015
the guy is full of great info, but full of ykw about wanting a singleshot shotgun/muzzleloader for shtf. :) Man, why would YOU need to forage, and others would not? if they do, SOME of them will shoot you on sight. So a noisy, short ranged single shot, using "ammo" that is 15 shots to the lb, is about the last thing you'd want as a weapon or foraging tool.

I'd take a sling bow and a takedown pellet rifle before I'd take a single-shot 12 ga, any day. If you train your upper body, you can have a really capable 30 yd deer-taker with that slingbow. Just use more powerful than normal rubber bands, that's all. Check out Jason Spragues SLINGSHOT channel on youtube.

.177 pellets weigh almost nothing and easily take small game to 30 yds. That's plenty of range for foraging, yet you can be quiet, and all of it will pack away out of sight and both the slingbow and the pellet gun can be reloaded a LOT faster than a muzzleloader. No misfires, no having to find the materials nor risk getting blown up to "corn" black powder, no corrosion from firing, no filthy residues to remove. If you've reloaded after firing, you have to pull your charge in order to clean a muzzleloader, then reload it AGAIN. Think about that, day after day, with your life on the line. No rapidfire, no luminous inserts, noisy, smoke locates you for your enemies and obscures your target, I mean, just generally sucks all the way around

But there's no reason to not have a silenced M4 and .22lr conversion unit, really. The 60 gr Subsonic Aquila .22's sound like a BB gun when you fire them thru the 223 silencer. Yet they will drop deer to 50 yds with brain hits. Ditto the 223 to 100 yds on elk, moose or bear. In fact, if mostly what I wanted was to get rid of the bear, I'd not hesitate to put a 223 into him at 300 yds if that was as close as I could get. He'll die of such a hit, and I wont be caring about being "sportsmanlike".

If there's snow on the ground, you can follow a blood trail pretty easily, and almost any dog will follow a fresh blood trail. Shtf survival has little or nothing to do with sport hunting. There will be no rules. A 223 softpoint in the chest will bring down an elk just fine from 200 yds. It just might run for 1/4 mile, tho, if you only hit one lung. Having the silencer on the AR, to confuse the animal as to where you fired from, and to greatly lessen how startled it is, can help a lot with the problem of "only' having as much power left at 200 yds as a 6" barreled 357 revolver has at 10 yds. :)

Last edited:
The AR is 6 lbs ,the .22 unit 3/4 lb, the silencer 3/4 lb. the scope and mount 1 lb. 60 gr .22's are 100 to the lb, 60 gr 223's are 1 lb per fully loaded 30 rd mag. A couple such 223 mags and a couple of hundred .22's are going to last you for a decade, if you have no human competition. Toss in 1.5 lbs of pocket 9mm and a spare mag for it, and your total is 14 lbs, with MANY times the foraging/fighting potential of any single shot 12 ga, much less a muzzleloader.

If you have people problems, you'll just be dead if you have nothing but a muzzleloader. If you want to shoot more or last longer (without re-supply) just carry a lb or 2 more .22 rds. but basically, you'll have to eat wild plants, garden a bit, trap, use trotlines and nets, fish poison, bird lime on roosts, etc.

Forum List

Back