Daughter had to deal with her first infant death today...

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
...rough.
She is in her final year of Respiratory Therapist.
Today an infant went into full arrest within hours of birth, she was a part of three people there trying to save the child to no avail.
Sometimes maybe we don't really know what a rough day really is.

That is a very sad.

My sister was an ICU nurse and took care of premies for a few years. It is often quite heartbreaking...but then there are the miracles of the ones that can be saved.

Last edited:
I don't know how such fine people can take on the Human work of heartbreak. I remember when I was a youth and working for a friend who's parents owned a graveyard. It was hard enough to look at the small graves and caskets.

May she find solace in the lives saved.

That is a very sad.

My sister was an ICU nurse and took care of premies for a few years. It is often quite heartbreaking...but then there are the miracles of the ones that can be saved.

Indeed.
Thats what she said when she called, "I have to remember the ones that come in really sick, and leave well, and know that I am a part of that too."

That is a very sad.

Indeed.
Thats what she said when she called, "I have to remember the ones that come in really sick, and leave well, and know that I am a part of that too."

Yes...and she will do great things helping people. People in the medical field are inherently more in contact with instances of death than others...except maybe for morticians...but the morticians usually see them only after they're dead. The doctors, nurses and other personnel have to watch them die.

I don't know how such fine people can take on the Human work of heartbreak. I remember when I was a youth and working for a friend who's parents owned a graveyard. It was hard enough to look at the small graves and caskets.

May she find solace in the lives saved.

I had a friend Marcus when we were teens, and he was a mortician for awhile. I can't remember if he was the one who started me on the Rocky Horror movies or if it was my lifelong friend Mark who worked at the AMC theatres at the Old Mill in Mountain View.

To live is to suffer, sorry to hear about your daughter's episode in the nursing field. Did she discuss the issue before she got the job?

It's an experience she will forever carry with her throughout her career...it sounds as if she's a strong young lady with her head in the right place for this type of work...

That is a very sad.

Indeed.

She seems to have a positive attitude. Focus on the ones you can save. Don't let the grief and sorrow consume you. I had a friend who was a mortician. That can be pretty deprssing, too. Help your daughter keep things in perspective.

To live is to suffer, sorry to hear about your daughter's episode in the nursing field. Did she discuss the issue before she got the job?

Yes definitely. My wife and I talked to her about it several times knowing that this field will certainly bring her into contact with death more often than most.
She went into it knowing what it is. She has wanted to do something in the medical field since she was in junior high, and wanted to specialize in a particular discipline.
After she graduates, she wants to work as a RRT for a couple years then go for her master degree.

Be proud, she's following her dream, regardless of how difficult it might be.

We are amazingly proud of both of or kids.
What better can a person ask that their children be better young people than you were yourself? I squandered my youth, I took the easy road of partying and acting like an ass. I have done well for myself once I matured...about 25! But I could have been so much more.
I told my kids 1000 times, "It is tragic and ironic that the most critical decisions you have to make in your life is at a time you are least capable of making them" - that it is why children need parents. I digress.

My daughter, who has severe asthma chose to be a Respiratory Therapist because of the experiences she went through a an infant and child. I still remember her fighting to breath and being put in an oxygen tent in the hospital.
She went to the University of Minnesota and got her degree and she too spent time in hospitals helping people out in their time of need. I remember telling me of her heartbreaking experiences but also her rewarding experiences (and she had a lot of them).
Your daughter will also experience rewarding experiences too and they will probably,in the end out- weigh the bad experiences. That is something she can look forward to.
My daughter is now a region manager of a nationwide respiratory healthcare company and despite her title and duties, she still likes to get involved in one-on-one with patients because of the positive experience. It's not in her job description, but she still wants to be there for those in need.
In other words, your daughter will enjoy the overall experiences of her career, it's very rewarding in the long run.

Be proud, she's following her dream, regardless of how difficult it might be.

We are amazingly proud of both of or kids.
What better can a person ask that their children be better young people than you were yourself? I squandered my youth, I took the easy road of partying and acting like an ass. I have done well for myself once I matured...about 25! But I could have been so much more.
I told my kids 1000 times, "It is tragic and ironic that the most critical decisions you have to make in your life is at a time you are least capable of making them" - that it is why children need parents. I digress.

Similar to my personal narrative. My daughter has made far better decisions and is a much better person than I was when I was her age. She's actually heeded some of my better guidance, like: don't get tangled up with credit cards and she should raise her own children (stay-at-home-mom).

My sister quit nursing school after working in the neo-natal unit. She couldnt handle all the death.

Yes, it is rough. When I first got out of nursing school (back in the dark ages) I went to work in a neonatal intensive care unit. The very first patient that I had as my own patient was a newborn which had a severe congenital malformation, and he didn't survive the first 24 hours of life. It was a harsh welcome to the profession.

Forum List

Back