Date Tomorrow: Please help!

rtwngAvngr

Jan 5, 2004
Ok. I have a date tomorrow. Olive Garden, 7pm.

Can someone please advise me how to act? Guys, girls, any advice will do.

You all know my basic foibles, what's least acceptable?

• Banned
-=d=- said:
act like you want to be there, but aren't 'excited' to be there. :)

right. good. It's true, I tend to get all spastic and talk too fast. Good one.

SHould I wear the assless chaps?

Don't get drunk.
Don't drool.
Eat like a civilized human being.
Tell her she has nice eyes - and remember what color they are.
Pull out the chair for her.
Stand up if/when she leaves the table for the restroom and when she comes back.
If you order wine, don't worry about smelling the cork - no one does that. Do taste the wine and tell the server it is fine.
Open the car door for her - especially when you walk her to the car. If she gets out before you make it around, no problem. You could always insist she get back into the car but that might be extreme.
Open the restaurant door for her.
LISTEN to her when she talks.

Most importantly..just have fun..don't sweat it.

rtwngAvngr said:

1. Don't keep asking if they are having a good time, nothing will end a good time like insecurity.
2. Keep politics away from initial conversation, this can be brought up at later dates.
3. Take your ques from the lady, don't order for her etc unless it is clear that she expects such activity.
4. Don't purchase red roses, etc. and don't choose a place that is too romantic. This is a first date, not a proposal.

Here is a site that can likely give you some hints as well:

http://www.sosuave.com/quick/tip61.htm

• Banned
GotZoom said:
Don't get drunk.
Don't drool.
Eat like a civilized human being.
Tell her she has nice eyes - and remember what color they are.
Pull out the chair for her.
Stand up if/when she leaves the table for the restroom and when she comes back.
If you order wine, don't worry about smelling the cork - no one does that. Do taste the wine and tell the server it is fine.
Open the car door for her - especially when you walk her to the car. If she gets out before you make it around, no problem. You could always insist she get back into the car but that might be extreme.
Open the restaurant door for her.
LISTEN to her when she talks.

Most importantly..just have fun..don't sweat it.

So that gentleman stuff helps huh? I'll try. Oh and I already KNOW she's conservative. That was part of the search criteria when I found her profile. So that 's a whole area of stress gone. I really couldn't be with a lib. I picture food all over the restaurant after that debacle.

• Banned
no1tovote4 said:
1. Don't keep asking if they are having a good time, nothing will end a good time like insecurity.
2. Keep politics away from initial conversation, this can be brought up at later dates.
3. Take your ques from the lady, don't order for her etc unless it is clear that she expects such activity.
4. Don't purchase red roses, etc. and don't choose a place that is too romantic. This is a first date, not a proposal.

Here is a site that can likely give you some hints as well:

http://www.sosuave.com/quick/tip61.htm

Great stuff, again. You guys are the bestest.

It's weird how it's easy to be cool when you don't care, but harder when you do.

It's cool. I sent out a bunch of emails to prospects yesterday. This one was near the top of the ones I wanted to get back to me.

rtwngAvngr said:
So that gentleman stuff helps huh? I'll try. Oh and I already KNOW she's conservative. That was part of the search criteria when I found her profile. So that 's a whole area of stress gone. I really couldn't be with a lib. I picture food all over the restaurant after that debacle.

It definitely helps. Chivalry is not dead. And if she is a conversative - and you already know this - then you are that much better off.

Do you already "like" her or is this just the "see how it goes" date?

And...have you two discussed anything along the lines of likes..hobbies..collectables...etc...

rtwngAvngr said:
Great stuff, again. You guys are the bestest.

It's weird how it's easy to be cool when you don't care, but harder when you do.

It's cool. I sent out a bunch of emails to prospects yesterday. This one was near the top of the ones I wanted to get back to me.

Yeah, it is always easier to assess the situation when you are not caught in the middle. Good luck!

Ya know....
Women have changed so much that you can't really be traditional
anymore. The best thing to do (and this sounds SO played out)
is be yourself. That's the best way to find someone compatable.
Now if you're just trying to get in her pants, throw the moves on.

rtwngAvngr said:

Women like men who are self confident, but stop just short of arrogant. I don't know how you can "act secure" but if it's part of your makeup that's what they respond to. Act like you are in control of your life and like the way its headed. That's a train they like to get on.

rtwngAvngr said:

Don't be nosey, or aggressive.

Do be a good listener, a good conversationalist, keep the chatter light hearted, have good manners, and for god sake if you really like her let her know and make another date with her before you say good night because of she's a catch you want to pin her down before she makes plans with someone else. Have fun!! :)

Mr. P said:
Stay Home!!

Good Luck putz!

if ya have to ask advice on dating...in middle life... in a political forum...staying home would be a good idea!...LOL :eek:

archangel said:
if ya have to ask advice on dating...in middle life... in a political forum...staying home would be a good idea!...LOL :eek:
Yep...but truth is, RWA just likes to "Play" the board for kicks. :)
Hell, he's probably been married for 30 years..

Lots of good advice from the guys. If you want the female perspective, I agree particularly with two points above. Definitely act with confidence if at all possible, and as No1toVote4 said, definitely do not show up with flowers. It can make you seem too eager to please, and we women like a challenge- at first.

Also:
- Don't drink much. Enough to feel relaxed, but you dont want to be too uninhibited on a first date.
- If you already know she has similar political leanings to yours, talking some politics could be a good bonding topic.
- Give her a light kiss goodnight if you think she could be receptive. Not like this, though: :kiss2:
- It would be good if you had an active date planned, instead of dinner, but I guess it's too late for that. On first dates, it's nice ot have an activity to focus on. Takes the pressure off to have scintillating conversation the entire time.

Good luck! I'm rooting for you! :)

Mr. P said:
Yep...but truth is, RWA just likes to "Play" the board for kicks. :)
Hell, he's probably been married for 30 years..

just put my two cents in for good measure! I hope you are correct...'cause if not I really feel sorry for this guy!
:eek:

Abbey Normal said:
Lots of good advice from the guys. If you want the female perspective, I agree particularly with two points above. Definitely act with confidence if at all possible, and as No1toVote4 said, definitely do not show up with flowers. It can make you seem too eager to please, and we women like a challenge- at first.

Also:
- Don't drink much. Enough to feel relaxed, but you dont want to be too uninhibited on a first date.
- If you already know she has similar political leanings to yours, talking some politics could be a good bonding topic.
- Give her a light kiss goodnight if you think she could be receptive. Not like this, though: :kiss2:
- It would be good if you had an active date planned, instead of dinner, but I guess it's too late for that. On first dates, it's nice ot have an activity to focus on. Takes the pressure off to have scintillating conversation the entire time.

Good luck! I'm rooting for you! :)

you are soooo sweet...can I give ya a kiss on the cheek? :tng:

Just kidding...you being a attorney and I just a retired Law Enforcement Officer...would not work out...but ya are still a cute one!

Side note - slip the host at Olive Garden a mickey- er- I mean Twenty, and make sure you get a 'booth' - not a table out in the open. You'll already feel conspicuous enough without having to be surrounded by other people and their conversations.

Get a booth...it'll give you at least a couple 'walls' to help you focus on her breast..er..dammit..I mean 'her conversation'.

:p

But I'm serious about the booth. :)

Forum List

Back