Darin's Reflections On Spousal Friendship

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nienna, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Well, D... here's "another thread." So, why do you think that spouses should not be one another's best friends?

:D

2. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    If your spouse is your best friend, and you fight, you'd have nowhere to turn; no person with enough insight to provide good advice, or advice at least consistant with what they know about you and/or the situation.

See?

Thread closed.

:D

3. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Of course your spouse shouldn't be your ONLY friend, but why shouldn't your spouse be the closest person to you?

4. 007

007 Charter Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,776
    Man this is a tough one... I'm not quite sure where I'd fall on this.

But my father has always mantained that my mom is his best friend... :dunno:

5. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    You can have two best friends. Your spouse and another of the same sex.

6. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741

Best. Closest. Friend.

Not a label for a spouse.

Friendly. Intimate. Loving. Affectionate. Involved. Those are what a spouse is made of...er...I mean...Those are things of which a spouse is made.

Friendly. Loving. Impartial. Involved. Those are things of which a best friend is made. Or 'maid' in some cases... ;)

My telling you my wife is not my best friend is no slight upon her or our relationship. My wife is MUCH more than a friend - even the bestest of friends.

7. Abbey Normal

Abbey Normal Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Your spouse can be your best friend in terms of sharing activities, talking, etc., and still be your romantic, affectionate lover. They aren't mutually exclusive. Sometimes we go to a movie like best friends, then come home and hit the sheets, all in one night. Imagine! :D

8. fuzzykitten99

fuzzykitten99 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
    Ratings:
    +199
    Tim was my best guy friend well before we started dating. He is now my best friend, then its my friend michelle, then diana.

I can tell Tim just about anything that I don't know if I would ever tell Michelle or Di.

80% of the time, I would rather be with my husband having fun somewhere like Valleyfair or MoA, than out with the girls. Time out with the girls is fun too, it's just that they don't like to do some of the things like simulation NASCAR racing at Silicon Speedway or the flight simulators at ACES, etc.

9. manu1959

manu1959 Left Coast Isolationist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    if you are not best friends you shouldn't get married....

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I agree. I thought we were. However, real friends are kind. I know I treat my friends the way I should treat my family/loved ones! They on the other hand, overlook my fallibilities. They would never say that I should get 'this or that' finished, they would say I'm working towards perfection; as is my wont.

I always give my friends, few the true ones are, the benefit of the doubt. Do I do the same with family? Not as often as I should. I'm always looking to make them 'as good as they can be.' I accept my friends for who they are, now.

If my friend left a mess, I would not be happy. I'd tell them. But I would not scream or give them 'silent treatment.' They would get mad. If my kids leave me a mess, I assume they are being selfish and disrespectful. If my dad does, I assume he's taking me for granted and thinks that's my 'role.'

To treat your spouse with different standards than your 'best' friend, will lead to problems. For your spouse to treat you as less than their best friend, means you have a major problem.