Damn - This "Kid" DESERVED a Medal of Honor

Discussion in 'History' started by slukasiewski, May 13, 2011.

1. slukasiewski

slukasiewski BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +109
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 3
    Last edited: May 13, 2011
  2. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,029
    Excellent.

Yes. The personification of American exceptionalism...the book which memorializes his group is:
    "Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10"
    Marcus Luttrell
    Marcus Luttrell (Author)

For those who don't know of the episode which cost this hero his life, he'd be alive today except that this group couldn't bring themselves to kill innocent goatherder, and his son.

3. slukasiewski

slukasiewski BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Never Forget !!

4. geauxtohell

geauxtohell Choose your weapon.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,155
    It shouldn't be shocking or debatable that American soldiers/sailors/marines/airmen couldn't bring themselves to kill civilians.

5. Anachronism

Anachronism BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +231
    If you haven't read Lone Survivor I HIGHLY recommend it. It's a great read by a gentleman who is both a Warrior and very good at telling his story. You won't be able to put it down.

These folks.... SEALs, Rangers, Delta Force, Green Berets, SOAR, Force Recon Marines, etc... are the reason that we can sleep a little easier at night knowing that there are people on our side who are both willing and capable of being just as mean, nasty, and dirty as the mofo's who want to do us harm. I'm very glad they're on OUR side.

As one of them likes to say about himself..... "Doing Evil Things to Evil People since 1993".

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. boedicca

boedicca Uppity Water Nymph Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,858
    The rate of additions to Anachronism's IGNORE LIST has slowed.

C'mon PEEPLE. We need to get him into triple digits!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. Anachronism

Anachronism BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Having read the book, I understand operationally why they couldn't do it; but in general terms the lives of 1,000,000 foreign civilians are worth less than the life of one American soldier, sailor, airman or marine so far as I'm concerned.

8. geauxtohell

geauxtohell Choose your weapon.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,155
    I found the book to be an absurd politicization of a factual event that was a disservice to the men involved in those operation, to include the 19+ men that lost their lives trying to extract Luttrell and his fallen comrades. Luttrell would have done better to simply state the facts. Lt. Murphy's family wasn't terribly pleased with his account of the events either. As he was the "Lone Survivor" only he knows what the facts truly are.

Killing civilians is tactically, operationally, and strategically stupid. It is also immoral. Thus it is illegal under the UCMJ. There is no way this team could have ever legally shot a goat-herder under the presumption that they might tip off the enemy.

Luttrell devotes a lot of ink to whining about the ROE. There is some room to question the sense of the ROE. However, not in this scenario.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  9. Anachronism

Anachronism BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +231
    That's your opinion and one that you are welcome to, even though it is not one that I share.

I tend to disagree. There are many cases where it is tactically, opreationally, and strategically very intelligent to do exactly that. Heck, we could have ended the Iraqi War in a matter of hours with little to no loss of life on our part if we'd just been willing to Carpet-Nuke the entire country. War has only one rule. WIN.... BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY. Anything beyond that is a joke.

Again, we will drastically disagree.

10. slukasiewski

slukasiewski BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Here's a book I just ordered - [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Seal-Honor-Operation-Michael-Murphy/dp/1591149657/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_c]Amazon.com: Seal of Honor: Operation Red Wings and the Life of Lt Michael P. Murphy, Usn (9781591149651): Gary Williams: Books[/ame]