Daily Animal Medicine Cards for USMB

Actually, I forgot until just now. Hang on a sec and I will draw for today.

Today, 4/13/14, our message is from Turtle..upside down (contrary):

Pulling theTurtle card in the reverse means that Mother Earth is calling you to reconnect in some way. If you have become flippant and forgotten to place waste in its proper place instead of throwing it out the car window, she is calling. If you have felt alone in your time of need, she is calling. If you have been struggling financially or have little to eat, or if you have desired a child and see no pregnancy in the near future, she is your medicine...use it. You are not alone...ever. You are a child of Earth. All acts of pleasure, joy, and abundance are given by the Mother of the creative force. use her energy to aid you, and you will be healed enought to share this energy with others.
The idea of a Turtle helplessly trying to right itself after it has been flipped upside down can also symbolize contrary Turtle. You are not a victim, and you are not helpless no matter how much it may seem like this is the case in your present situation. To right the ill-dignified Turtle, you need only list the things you are grateful for, and from that grateful place in your heart, look for the abundance of alternatives that Mother Earth gives.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Right side up turtle meaning:

Turtle Animal Totem: Mother Earth

Turtle is the oldest symbol for the Earth. It is the personification of goddess energy and the eternal Earth itself. If you have a Turtle totem, you must be mindful of returning to the Earth what she has given you. Honor the creative source within you. Use water and earth energies to create a harmonious flow in your life. Ask the Earth for assistance and her riches will pour forth. If a Turtle totem shows up in your life, slow down the pace of your life. Bigger, stronger, faster are not always the best ways to reach your goals. Turtle is fine teacher of the art of grounding. When you learn to ground yourself to Earth's power and strength, you place focus on your thoughts and actions and use the Earth's limitless energies rather than your own to accomplish your will.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Symbolic Turtle Meanings

Those with the turtle as their animal totem can relate to the "sure and steady" message this creature brings to our lives.

It is also a powerful totem for protection as withdrawing into it's shell is an amazing self-defense mechanism.

The turtle has few predators, which gives it an innocent energy. This also increases its lifespan, and so holds the symbolic meaning for longevity in many cultures.

Did you know the turtle is one of the oldest living animal ancestors walking on the earth today? The oldest fossils of turtles are dated at over 200 million years old. This is highly symbolic. It indicates the turtle is a symbol of longevity, endurance, persistence, and the continuation of life (sometimes against incredible odds).

-Ever hear of the old adage "slow and steady wins the race."? Not only is the turtle's walking pace sure and steady, but so is its insistence at being a part of biological life on this earth. Something to consider when connecting with the turtle as a guide and mentor in living a dynamic, long life.

Animal Symbolism of the Turtle

Order
Creation
Patience
Strength
Stability
Longevity
Innocence
Endurance
Protection
Because of its seemingly wide-eyed, long-lived, carefree attitude the turtle is often thought to be the wisest of souls among the animal kingdom. We would all do well to take this as a lesson and move at our own pace as the turtle does.

Furthermore, the turtle takes its wisdom one day at a time - not reacting, simply accepting and moving on in its natural methods. Again, this is a powerful analogy for humankind, and we would benefit from adopting the same behavior pattern.

Tutles share an association with water, which lends meanings of motion, intuition and emotion to the myriad of more symbolic meanings of the turtle.

Other Symbolic Meanings Associated with the Turtle

Water
Winter
Humidity
Venus (Roman)
Aphrodite (Greek)
Northern directions
Lunar (moon aspect)
Femininity
In China and Japan the turtle is a symbol for longevity. Furthermore, in Asian myth the turtle represents cosmic order.

Cosmic Orders of the Turtle

Its shell is symbolic of the heavens
Its body symbolic of the earth
Its undershell represents the underworld.
Furthermore, it is considered to have brought about the creation of the universe from its parts.

What's more, the turtle is a symbol of motherhood and creation. You can read more about that here.

Divination or foretelling has been known to be conducted by reading a turtle's shell and underbelly. These parts of the turtle are said to depict a map of the stars and sacred writings. Furthermore, most turtle shells are divided into thirteen sections which is associated with the thirteen phases of the moon in a year.

Animal Symbolism: Meaning of the Turtle

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g385oWFh21E]Swimming with Green Sea Turtle - YouTube[/ame]

Today's message is from BEAR, contrary (reversed or upside down):

If you have drawn Bear reversed, your internal dialogue may have confused your perception of your true goals. In seeking answers or advice from others, you may have placed your own feelings and knowing aside. This time has come to regain your authority, for no one knows better than yourswelf what is proper and timely for your evolution. Reclaim the power of knowing. Find joy in the silence and richness of the mothers womb. Allow the thoughts of confusion to be laid to rest as clarity emerges from the West, nurturing your dreams as the Earth Mother nourishes us all.
Bear in the contrary position is teaching you that only throught being your own advisor can you attain your true goals. Anything less than the doing of that which gives you the most joy is denial. To achieve happiness you must know yourself. To know yourself is to know your body, your mind, and your spirit. Use your strengths to overcome your weaknesses and know that both are necessary in your evolution.
Journey with Bear to the quietness of your cave and hibernate in silence. Dream your dreams and own them. Then in strength you will be ready to discover the honey waiting in the Tree of Life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bear meaning, right side up:

Bear Animal Totem: Caution, Healing, Leadership

The power of the Bear totem is the power of introspection. The answers to all our questions lie within us. Each of us has the capacity to quiet the mind, enter the silence and know. Just as the bear hibernates during the winter, people with a Bear totem will be quieter during the winter months. But they must awaken in the spring and seek whatever opportunities are around them. When you have a Bear totem, you are being guided to a leadership role. You must be fearless in defending your beliefs. The Bear also encourages you to exercise your abilities as a natural healer. (Note: Polar Bear has its own entry.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I got a lot of feedback from a cheeky bear post I made on my blog, and realized I had not given proper space to symbolic bear meaning here on WYS.com.

When we contemplate symbolic bear meanigns, we might think the bear may hold many contradictions, and we'd be right to think such.

On the one hand, we get a picture of tranquility with the bear, and on the other, it's a symbol for warrior and power.

There are more juxtapositions when observing the bear in nature. Although omnivore (meat and veggie eater), the bear prefers a banal diet filled with sweet snacks like berries. Further, the bear seems heartily content to languish in sunny spots where it can stretch and snooze in leisure. We observe an amicable, mellow, easy-going energy with the bear when all conditions are favorable.

Symbolic Bear Meaning - A Quick Keyword List:

Bravery
Peace
Resurrection
Powerful
Benevolence
Sovereignty
Motherhood
Duality
As a Totem Animal, the bear will carry many messages for us. These messages can be profoundly meaningful, and guide us through some tough times in our lives. Take a look at these symbolic attributes of the bear, and see if they offer you illumination in your life circumstances. If so, the bear may be (or has been) coming forth as a totem guide for you at this time in your life. To be sure, the bear has much to teach us, here are just a few lesson we can take from the bear:

Symbolic Bear Meaning
Potential Messages the Bear Offers Us

Patience and Connection
Hibernating with our ideas or projects until a better time presents itself. Further, bear will speak to you about connecting to both earth-based energy and celestial (sun/moon) forces. Tapping into the bear will also allow you to tap into the wax, wane and flow of life.

Confidence and Authority
By its physical presence, the bear reminds us we can be larger than life if we raise ourselves up to our inherent status. Moreover, no one questions the bear. This kind of authoritative presence will be a lesson the bear can impart.

Nurturing and Protection
We intuit these attributes by the commitment bear mothers make to their offspring. Whether your offspring is in children or ideals, the bear will lend you the determination required for rearing up strong results.
The bear is a consummate mother, caring for her young with observable devotion. Indeed, the bear is a symbol of motherhood and child protection, as I discuss on my page about Native American bear meaning here.

However, there is a unfathomable power surging just beneath the surface of the bear is potentially explosive. Bear has imminent domain, and when it deems that space altered, it is fully prepared to defend. Woe be to the one who provokes the wrath of the bear. In this powerfully impressive display of defense and aggression we pick up bear meanings of sovereignty, courage and themes of the warrior.

To wit, in Scandinavian legend the bear was an aspect of the god Odin, and Berserkers were known to wear bearskins to enhance their ferocity in battle. Such vicious looking warriors were insured a victory.

We see more bear-dressing in the cult following of Artemis. She is a Greek huntress, and her maiden devotees would don bear dressings as a symbol of hunting prowess and power.

Symbolic Bear Meaning
The First Peoples of North America were known to do this too as I cite on my page about symbolic bear meanings to the Native American mind.

Bear meanings continue to be symbolic of bravery as Germanic and Celtic deities Artio and Thor are often depicted with the bear. Indeed, the bear is a tremendous symbol of the warrior and bravery to the ancient Celts.

Although Celtic lore indicates the bear is grounded in a heroic aspect, we also see it connected to the Celtic goddess Berne where we pick up lunar symbolism.

Bear meanings associated with the moon continue in Pueblo lore in which the bear is connected to underground temples. Here the bear is said to oversee the movements of the night, and lives in time with the Native Indian cycles of the moon.

In fact, many ancient peoples understood the connection of the moon and the bear because of the bear's hibernation patterns. But more importantly, our nature-savvy ancestors recognized the dual nature of the bear.

To explain, the nature-based mindset followed the "sleeping" (hibernating) and "waking" nature of the bear and assigned specific meaning to each of these phases of the bear's life. To demonstrate:

Hibernating Bear Symbolism

Yin
Moon
Winter
Inaction
Feminine
Darkness
Introspection
Subconscious
The Awakening Bear Symbolism

Yang
Solar
Action
Masculine
Spring/Summer
Lightness
Extroversion
Consciousness
Symbolic Bear Meaning
In this respect we clearly see the bear wearing two faces of symbolism.

From this illustration we also recognize a theme of resurrection. After a long period of deep, introspective (even death-like) comatose span of inaction - the bear emerges, victorious and driven to sustain its life (with prime focus on feeding itself and its offspring after hibernating).

This correspondence with solar and lunar duplicity continues in alchemical tradition where the bear is considered a symbol of transformation. The bear is a powerful symbol of prime matter in alchemy too. Ancient alchemists observed the scent of a bear far outlasts its presence in caves. This caters to an energetic resonance that remains in practices. In other words, if in ritual a powerful balancing effect was required the bear would be a advantageous alchemical animal within the Work.

The bear is showcased in countless cultures because it is undeniably dynamic in energy and stature. These are just a few of the myriad of symbolic observations and bear meanings we can mine from this amazingly diverse animal.

Symbolic Bear Meaning

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

dcdc6bf80ec6ecfe9c6c158359c0bc65.jpg

[MENTION=42649]Gracie[/MENTION],
What does the spider card say? I had one walking across my hand yesterday while I was sitting at the computer desk. I have no idea where it came from, it was just there all of the sudden.

Spider Animal Totem: Creativity and Weaver of Fate

A spider totem teaches you balance --between past and future, physical and spirit, male and female. She is strength and gentleness combined. She awakens creative sensibilities and reminds you that the past is always interwoven with the future. Tarantulas (and all spiders) are the keepers of the primordial alphabet and can teach you how to write creatively. Her body is shaped like the number 8 and she has 8 legs, which is symbol of infinite possibilities of creation. Her 8 legs represent the 4 winds of change and the four directions of the medicine wheel. Spider's message is that you are an infinite being who will continue to weave patterns of life and living throughout time. Do not fail to see the eternal plan of creation. Those who weave magic with the written word usually have this totem.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Spider Symbolism

The Spider is an ancient symbol of mystery, power and growth.

We take our first lesson from the ancient symbol of the Spider by contemplating its web.

Just as the Spider weaves a web, so too must we weave our own lives. The Spider symbol meaning here serves as a reminder that our choices construct our lives. When the Spider appears to us, it is a message to be mindful of the choices we are making - and ask ourselves:

Questions The Spider Asks of Us

How are my choices affecting my life?
How can my choices improve my life?
How are my choices affecting others in my life?
Not only do Spiders and their webs draw attention to our life choices, they also give us an overview of how we can manipulate our thinking in order to construct the life we wish to live.

Spiders do this by calling our awareness to the amazing construction of their webs. Fully functional, practical, and ingenious in design - Spider webs serve as homes, food storage, egg incubators - seemingly limitless in their functionality.

When we consider this ingenious diversity, we can also consider the web-like construct of our own lives. How are we designing the most effective life?

When we see our decisions, choices and actions as far-reaching, effective tools in life - we can see how we weave a web that can either serve us or enslave us. The Spider symbol meaning beckons us to be mindful of our behaviors - be smart about the life we weave for ourselves.

We can derive more Spider symbol meaning when we consider certain subtle characteristics that represent ancient symbols of infinity.

The infinity symbol meanings occur when we consider most Spiders have eight eyes and all have eight legs. The number eight is also a symbol of infinity or lemniscate (an eight turned on its side). Also, the vibrational frequency indicates the meaning of number eight involves cycles, passage of time, and evolution.

Symbolic Spider Meanings

Cunning
Progressive
Female
Cyclical
Rebirth
Death
Crafty
Resourceful
Creation
Protection
Fate
In Native American symbolism, the Spider is a symbol of protection against torrential storms. In yet other Native American lore accounts, the Spider (personified as the Grandmother) was the teacher and protector of esoteric wisdom.

The meaning of Spider in India is associated with Maya. The term Maya comes from the Sanskrit root "Ma" which means no form or limit. The term Maya describes the illusory nature of appearances. The Spider’s association with Maya brings about the understanding that not all things are as they appear to be.

The Spider symbol meaning in Egypt, is akin to Neith, a complex deity usually depicted with arrows as she is associated with hunting. Along with hunting, she is also associated with the creation, specifically the process of recreation in the dawning and dusking of each day. Neith is also a weaver, and is often shown with a shuttle in her hand (a tool used for weaving). It is this activity that gains her association with the Spider.

And of course, no conversation about the meaning of spiders is complete without discussing the Greek myth of Arachne, a mortal (although of noble stature) who was a spectacular weaver. Acclaim for her luscious lively looms spread over hill and dale and ultimately reached the immortal ears of Athena. Arachne claimed she was the best weaver, and thus prompted a challenge from Athena.

And so, they played a round of "dueling looms," but no one could confirm the victor. However, Arachne was quite smug about the whole process. So much so, that Athena smote her with a mighty blow of conscience and a dose of guilt. Arachne took the dosage hard, and could not live with the intense feelings of guilt and sorrow so she killed herself. Athena felt awful over the whole mess and decided to resurrect Arachne in the form of a spider so that she and all her offspring would forever be the best weavers of the universe. [MENTION=34688]Grandma[/MENTION]

Thank you so much, Gracie!!!

This is fascinating - I have some big decisions coming up, and there is a matter of clearing up some past issues. Sort of a spring cleaning, get rid of the junk and fix up what's useable.

Yes, this makes things a good bit clearer, thanks again!

Tried to go to sleep, but didn't happen. I think I pulled a muscle in my back...or my chest muscle, while painting. I had to do a lot of reaching and since around 5pm, its been a sharp pain deep on the left side right under my chest bone. If my boob was still there, I'd be worried but it isn't there. And it's much deep than that. Sometimes it hits so hard I gasp. Not steady...just...BAM!....then little spasms..then BAM! again. No, I am not having a heart attack. No shortness of breath, left arm not hurting. Just my damn chest. So..anyway...here I am. Still awake and I popped two advil to no avail.

Anyway..as I laid there..in the dark mind you....THREE moths landed on my face. One...ok. Just a fluke. But THREE? I had to get up and see what the hell they were saying:

Moth Animal Totem: Relationships; Sense of Smell

Moths are messengers. When they fly around you in great numbers, expect a message to come to you. A single Moth flying around you can mean that what was hidden will be revealed. Moth can cut through confusion, so ask Moth for help when you are being pulled in many directions and are unsure of what project to tackle first. Moth gives you good instincts - when you meet someone, ask yourself if he/she "feels" right. If they feel wrong, walk away. Moth can help you attract a romantic partner; but be sure to trust your senses. If the person is wrong for you, you will feel that the attraction is wrong and may even be repelled by that person. However, if it does feel right, essential oils rather than perfumes or other man-made fragrances will enhance the attraction. Moths are nocturnal so if Moth is your totem you are more active during the evenings and nights.

and...........

Moth Meanings in the Realms of Animal Symbolism

A friend of mine has been getting consistent visitations from the moth, and she asked me what I thought. This page is a result of a few meditations with the moth, and symbolic observations.
Moths have similar animal symbolism as butterflies, but have a few distinguishing characteristics that set it far apart from its winged relative.

Namely, the moth is a nocturnal creature, whereas the butterfly is diurnal.

It's important to note the symbolism of nocturnal creatures because night-time proclivities have specific philosophical meanings.

Nocturnal Animal Symbolism Includes:

Dreams
Shadows
Otherworldliness
Secret knowledge
Psychic awareness
We gather these symbolic attributes because night creatures conduct their life-sustaining activities in complete darkness.

As humans, we may translate this as symbolic of living our lives by intuitive feeling rather than physical sensory perception.

Philosophically speaking, night creatures do not tumble in the dark, and neither do humans. We use our dreams, our awareness, and our deeper, inner knowing to navigate through the darkest hours of our lives.

Faith is another tool we use to move through shadowy times of uncertainty, and the moth also shares this aspect. The moth never questions provision. She has complete faith that all of her needs will be meet each night.

A Quick-List of Symbolic Moth Meanings

Vulnerability
Determination
Concealment
Attraction
Subtlety
Intuition
Faith
Even in navigation, when we observe the moth to fly into artificial light or flames, the moth demonstrates its faith and determination.

It is still unproven as to why the moth is driven to light - but the best hypothesis is that the moth navigates by lunar light. In the absence of moonlight, the moth moves to the next best thing: man-made light.

Even at the risk of loosing its life, the moth is ever-vigilant in following its path of light. This may also serve as a moral to us to keep our own vigilance, but not fall victim of blind faith.

Here we see a fragile vulnerability in the moth. The moon is her mother, and she will follow her course at all cost. This makes her open to distraction, vulnerable to harm. Here we may find another message to adjust our course as our path indicates rather than drive forward without heeding important signs along the way.

As a creature of the night, and by her navigational devices, we see the moth is highly influenced by the power of the moon. This aspect ties in with animal symbolism of intuition, and psychic awareness.

Indeed, those with the moth totem will find this creature a magnificent assistant in developing higher awareness, and psychic enhancement.

However, with higher perception we sometimes overstep into the realm of confusion. It is important to seat ourselves in grounding foundations when we step in-tune with the lunar aspects of the moth. In other words, fly high with the moth - but always have a clear runway for happy, safe landings.

The moth continues to be under the influence in matters of love. She emits pheromones that are powerfully strong, attracting her male counterpart through the dark nights. These scented trails can be followed for remarkable distances.

More Moth Meanings

Suggestion
Attraction
Allure
The female moth is subtle in her scent, wafting out like a loving tendril pulling in her mate. She has no doubt about her ability to attract her lover (those pheromones are powerfully effective!). Us humans would do well to follow the same cue. We do not have to be overt in our advances to attract our mates. Rather, the art of subtle allure can be learned from the moth.

A master of disguise, the moth can blend in to the point of invisibility. This is a metaphor for us to use our environment to our advantage, blend in when necessary, adjust and adapt when the situation requires it.

And yes...I cupped all three and got up, set them free into the night...and then checked my resources on what Moth(s) are whispering to me.

Now that Moth(s) are back outside doing their thang..I think I will try again to doze off. Stuff to do tomorrow and I need to get up early.

Night night folks.

I pulled a card early. Today's messenger (actually, this is for 11:25pm PST 5/3/14 to 11:25pm PST 5/4/14) is from ELEPHANT.

Elephant Animal Totem: Ancient Power, Strength, Royalty

Elephant is a wise totem which embodies strength and power. An Elephant will give you insight into the power of the three feminine energies: maiden, mother and old wise woman (or crone). Through the use of fragrances and incense, Elephant can guide you to new energies and power. Elephant also gives you a thirst for knowledge and understanding. Family is very important to Elephant, especially the very young and the very old. Elephants care for their elderly rather than push them aside and very protective of their young. They have a soft spot for the weak and helpless. Loyalty is another quality that Elephant teaches. How to remain loyal no matter what anyone says about your friend or family member. For Elephant, they always come first.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Elephant Meaning and Symbolism
Symbolic elephant meaning deals primarily with strength, honor, stability and patience, among other attributes.

To the Hindu way of thought, the elephant is found in the form of Ganesha who is the god of luck, fortune, protection and is a blessing upon all new projects. Ganesha in all his magnificently vibrant elephant glory, is intent on bulldozing obstacles on your behalf (funnily, male elephants are termed "bulls").

In many western cultures, the elephant meaning pertains to themes of...

Symbolic Elephant Meaning

Reliability
Dignity
Power
Royalty
Pride
In Christian symbolism the elephant is an icon of temperance, patience, and chastity.

As a Chinese symbol, the elephant is considered a symbol of:

Asian Elephant Meanings

happiness
longevity
good luck
Some Asian cultures also believe the elephant is a cosmic creature, and carries the world upon it?s back (much like the tortoise does in some tribal Native American myths).

As a dream animal, elephants come into our dreams it is a message that we are able to deal with any obstacle we are faced with at this time. Dream elephants represent power, sovereignty, stability, and stead-fastness. If you dream that you are riding an elephant this suggests you have a tendancy to be the leader of the family, and others are heavily depending on you. If you dream of elephants in a circus this suggests you have a cavalier attitude about a situation in your life and you may want to invest more attention to it.

We gather more symbolic meaning of elephant by observing it in nature. Specifically, the elephant is considered a symbol of responsibility because it takes great care and responsibility of its offspring as well as their elders.

The elephant also has immense determination and loyalty - always standing up for others and always defending members of the group in its natural habitat.

Elephants also express advanced sensitivity and social connection, particularly during time of death - they travel to a specific place upon their death - fulfilling personal responsibility - even at the end of their days.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Elephant-HD-Wallpaper4.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe I will start this up again. At least it will give some ammo to a few who can't decide whether to be decent human beings or ...not.

I'll muse on it. Maybe some animals have a few messages. Even dead ones.

To refresh your memories of my intent of this thread, read the OP again.

Today's message is from COYOTE, contrary/reversed (card came upside down):

If Coyote appears in the reversed position, you can be assured that he is going to be contrary and a pain in your side. Look around yourself and watch which direction he is coming from. If Coyote is approaching you from the outside, beware of this master of illusion. Coyote may put you in his spell and take you to a briar patch to pick berries. It will be a painful lesson for you if you follow him. Coyote reversed can appear in your life as a supposed all-knowing teacher, a scam artist, a get rich quick business planner, a rare coin salesperson, a femme fatal, a movie producer, a television evangelist, a swamp land realtor, a politician, or anyone who wants you to follow their lead. Coyote is not he recommended business partner or lover.

Contrary Coyote may signal a time when everything you touch backfires. All your jokes may be exploding in your face. In this reversed position, Coyote also signals a time to be aware of the intentions of others, and to look for the boomerang you thew at another person coming back to knock you from behind. Someone else's trick may be on you, or there could be deception in the wind. Whatever Coyote reversed has conjured up, it could be coming from any direction. Remember, this joker is always wild.

coyote-111212-127.jpg

Bump for tonight, midnight PST. Actually, 12:01. I will draw a card for the denizens of USMB and that will be our message for Saturday to muse on, from whatever animal I pull from the deck. :)

Be back at a bit after midnight. Gotta draw the card, then look up the meaning, then type. So..around 12:15am pst, give or take.

I am late for the party, cuz I dunno what this is.

But you still THINK about it, dontcha?:smiliehug:

And it is not animal "worship". It is listening to their messages. Or not.;)

Forum List

Back