Cuts to SS and Medicare

We do need reform for SSI, it is going going to run out of money and my kids and grandkids will have paid in for nothing.
Yes and no. It needs another adjustment or a lot of baby boomers who have paid into the system all their lives will get reduced benefits when they retire in about a decade (with the current est. I think). Of course it's has been known since the last adjustment so it's a can they kick down the road.

What does "eliminate SS/Medicare tax cuts" mean?
Good cap
Maker all capital gains ordinary income. OK

I haven't done the math on a sales tax that restrictive. We need to raise revenue at least $1-Trillion. So whatever price limit covers a $trillion works.

The US economy has a GDP of $25.5T. x 0.04 tax = $1.02T which covers the deficit.
Make them all private.

Thats for infrastructure which is needed.
Facts are tough things for you. NAZI!

That’s Penny to the far right, in a former life. She hasn’t changed much.
1675951815400.jpeg

What does "eliminate SS/Medicare tax cuts" mean?
Good cap
Maker all capital gains ordinary income. OK

I haven't done the math on a sales tax that restrictive. We need to raise revenue at least $1-Trillion. So whatever price limit covers a $trillion works.

The US economy has a GDP of $25.5T. x 0.04 tax = $1.02T which covers the deficit.
Sales taxes punish those least able to afford them. but make it for purchases over 100K and I can buy in.

If the 2010 cuts have not been sunsetted, eliminate them.

Exactly. SS is easy to fix. Raise the cap, and add a year to the ages,
The SS fix is tougher.

My recommendation is to add a new Federal Sales Tax of about 4%. I don't see any other way to raise enough money.
Also, I want to see another "Grace Commission" to eliminate waste, and duplication in the Federal government.
We are living longer so the argument is there for raising the retirement age

A 4% sales tax does not sound so good

But I am against either unless its part of an overall budget reduction that controls all spending

We are living longer so the argument is there for raising the retirement age
A 4% sales tax does not sound so good
But I am against either unless its part of an overall budget reduction that controls all spending
1. Agreed, raising the retirement ages is fair.
2. The 4% sales tax is new revenue, we need new revenue since we can't cut our way out of the deficit

3. Here is the Federal Budget from 2021 tell me specifically what you would cut to equal $1.02T:
2021 Federal Budget
Outlays $4.88T
Receipts $3.86T
Deficit $1.02T

Discretionary Spending
Defense $753b
Non-defense $733b
Total $1.49T

Mandatory Spending
Social Security $1,115b
Medicare 746b
Medicaid 452b
Other 660b
Interest on Debt 379b
Total $3.39T

Rick Scott

“All federal legislation sunsets in 5 years. If a law is worth keeping, Congress can pass it again,” the document said.

This would require Congress to renew Social Security and Medicare every five years. Scott’s proposal also called for a yearly report from Congress “telling the public what they plan to do when Social Security and Medicare go bankrupt.”

Mike Pence

Former Vice President Mike Pence, who has indicated that he is considering a bid for the presidency in 2024, said last week that a conversation needs to be had about reforming Social Security.

Mike Lee

When Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah) initially ran for Senate in 2010, he called for the complete elimination of Social Security.

“It will be my objective to phase out Social Security, to pull it up by the roots and get rid of it,” Lee said at a campaign event in 2010, adding, “There’s going to be growing pains associated with doing this. We can’t do it all at once.”

Ron Johnson

Similar to Scott, Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.) has suggested that Congress regularly renew the entitlement programs. However, Johnson has proposed that it be done on an annual basis.

“I’ve been saying for as long as I’ve been here that we should transfer everything, put everything on budget so we have to consider it if every year. I’ve said that consistently, it’s nothing new,” Johnson told “The Regular Joe Show” podcast last August.

Lindsey Graham

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) suggested in a debate in June that a bipartisan compromise on the issue will likely mean that “people like me are going to have to take a little less and pay a little more in.”

Sunset and people like me are going to take less. Believe me, when they take the Senate and the House majority (if they do), they can do anything they want with SS and Original Medicare.
At least Republicans are trying to make these programs solvent because they are on a course to being insolvent in the near future. Democrats refuse to even talk about making the programs solvent.

2-12-21ssif3.png

So what happens with SSDI if the FRA (Full Retirement Age) for regular SS is raised from 67 yo 70.

There is a 4.5% jump between early 50's to late 50's and another 5.7% jumber from late 50's to early/mid 60's. So roughly 10% from early to mid 50's. How much of a jump will there be from mid-60's to 70?

WW

Those two statements don’t jibe.
They certainly do unless you think Dollars grow on money trees along the Potomac

Borrow and spend swamp rats in washington could kill the goose that lays the golden eggs

And when that happens the elderly will suffer the most

1. Agreed, raising the retirement ages is fair.
2. The 4% sales tax is new revenue, we need new revenue since we can't cut our way out of the deficit

3. Here is the Federal Budget from 2021 tell me specifically what you would cut to equal $1.02T:
2021 Federal Budget
Outlays $4.88T
Receipts $3.86T
Deficit $1.02T

Discretionary Spending
Defense $753b
Non-defense $733b
Total $1.49T

Mandatory Spending
Social Security $1,115b
Medicare 746b
Medicaid 452b
Other 660b
Interest on Debt 379b
Total $3.39T
I would freeze every spending program at last year’s level and then shave 1% off of that

Repeat every year till the budget is bslanced

Rick Scott

“All federal legislation sunsets in 5 years. If a law is worth keeping, Congress can pass it again,” the document said.

This would require Congress to renew Social Security and Medicare every five years. Scott’s proposal also called for a yearly report from Congress “telling the public what they plan to do when Social Security and Medicare go bankrupt.”

Mike Pence

Former Vice President Mike Pence, who has indicated that he is considering a bid for the presidency in 2024, said last week that a conversation needs to be had about reforming Social Security.

Mike Lee

When Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah) initially ran for Senate in 2010, he called for the complete elimination of Social Security.

“It will be my objective to phase out Social Security, to pull it up by the roots and get rid of it,” Lee said at a campaign event in 2010, adding, “There’s going to be growing pains associated with doing this. We can’t do it all at once.”

Ron Johnson

Similar to Scott, Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.) has suggested that Congress regularly renew the entitlement programs. However, Johnson has proposed that it be done on an annual basis.

“I’ve been saying for as long as I’ve been here that we should transfer everything, put everything on budget so we have to consider it if every year. I’ve said that consistently, it’s nothing new,” Johnson told “The Regular Joe Show” podcast last August.

Lindsey Graham

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) suggested in a debate in June that a bipartisan compromise on the issue will likely mean that “people like me are going to have to take a little less and pay a little more in.”

Sunset and people like me are going to take less. Believe me, when they take the Senate and the House majority (if they do), they can do anything they want with SS and Original Medicare.
No original content. Penny can't write a complete sentence without making several errors.

Mike Lee

Check out this coward:

Rick Scott

Mike Pence

Mike Lee

Ron Johnson

Lindsey Graham

It is a simple fact that not raising the Social Security age to 70 is unsustainable.

We are living DECADES longer than our ancestors. We should be working longer.

Common fricking sense.

Forum List

Back