Curious Newcomer

The debates are intellectual right up to the time when you ask a NeoMarxist to back up any of their contentions ranging from FDR's Imaginary Greatness, ManMade Global Warning, the success of Keynesian economics or Reagan's Imaginary Epic Fail, then they get personal

Are you calling me a neoMarxist?

I dropped a "K" in ask should have read "Ask a neoMarxist" was not saying you as a Neomarxist

All good

Hello Adam :)

Im new too...but Ive made up my mind and this is not the only political forum Im a member of.....grow a thick skin is probably the best advice anyone could give you simply because your going to need it or you will just fade away....this is the net all types of people all behind a screen :)....dont let your feelings get hurt... just get even :evil::evil::evil:

Hi everyone,

I'm brand new to this forum and this will be the first Political Forum that I have become a member of. I'm an undergraduate student at Northern Illinois University Studying Political Science. I was raised conservative, experienced a brief period of Liberalism, and now consider myself to be undecided. I would say that I'm probably Right Leaning at the moment, though I have far from made up my mind.

I'm very interested to see the type of discussion held here (i.e. ad hominem attacks vs intellectual debate) as well as the political make up of the members. Are there mostly conservatives? Mostly liberals? Are there a lot of independents?

Any way... any advice, tips, or answers would be much appreciated. Thanks and I look forward to some good debates!
you will get both

welcome

Welcome, dude. You'll fit right in no matter which side you're on.

Just remember...when people make fun of liberals here, they're serious about it! Liberalism sucks!

I would say that I'm probably Right Leaning at the moment, though I have far from made up my mind.

Any way... any advice, tips, or answers would be much appreciated. Thanks and I look forward to some good debates!

A. Make up your MIND, for christssakes

Welcome, Adam. One bit of advice...grow thick skin. :lol:

B. See above

Why should I make up my mind? Is an open mind not a rare and precious commodity in a society where everyone is so staunchly on one side of the political debate that they fail to see the views and beliefs of there opponents of having any value?

There are millions of Americans who fall all over the Political Spectrum. Some of them are very far right and others are very far left. Still more fall somewhere in between that range. The fact of the matter is that a lot of very intelligent people believe very different things. That is what makes politics so interesting. Unlike math, there is no definitive answer. Every fact is open to opinion and all opinions are mailable.

Why would it be that there are educated and intelligent people on both sides of the same argument unless both sides had something to say for themselves? Why would so many people believe in something so wholeheartedly if one side was clearly right and the other was clearly wrong?

My first belief is that politics should be about cooperation, not conflict. My second is that circumstances change so that no one ideology is ideal at all points in history. Therefore the will and skill of the individual candidate is more important than a 'D' or 'R' next to his or her name.

If I ever do chose to identify solely with one party or another it shall be because I have a thorough understanding of both parties and because one has proven beyond a doubt to be the preferred choice.

And my skin is plenty thick :tongue:

My first impression was to welcome you to USMB and encourage you to stick around long enough to find out how lovable and cuddlesome (cough) the membership here is. Seriously we hope this is a good experience for you. Not only a thick skin but a good bullshit detector is helpful too. :)

My next impression is that you seem to be gently lecturing people who are about as savvy on politics, ideology, and all the degrees of the political spectrum as any I've encountered on the internet. Pretending to be neutral because you can 'see all sides' won't earn you a great deal of confidence among people who are very aware of all sides and know which side they believe to be the most defensible.

However, once you move past the usual contingent of pure partisans, idiots, and numbnuts, probably most of us don't see holding reasoned convictions as necessarily identifying with a political party.

I am all for being thoroughly educated in a principle or philosophy before establishing a conviction about it. But I also think those who hold no defensible convictions at all are either brainwashed or believe in nothing.

I would say that I'm probably Right Leaning at the moment, though I have far from made up my mind.

A. Make up your MIND, for christssakes

Welcome, Adam. One bit of advice...grow thick skin. :lol:

B. See above

Why should I make up my mind? Is an open mind not a rare and precious commodity in a society where everyone is so staunchly on one side of the political debate that they fail to see the views and beliefs of there opponents of having any value?

There are millions of Americans who fall all over the Political Spectrum. Some of them are very far right and others are very far left. Still more fall somewhere in between that range. The fact of the matter is that a lot of very intelligent people believe very different things. That is what makes politics so interesting. Unlike math, there is no definitive answer. Every fact is open to opinion and all opinions are mailable.

Why would it be that there are educated and intelligent people on both sides of the same argument unless both sides had something to say for themselves? Why would so many people believe in something so wholeheartedly if one side was clearly right and the other was clearly wrong?

My first belief is that politics should be about cooperation, not conflict. My second is that circumstances change so that no one ideology is ideal at all points in history. Therefore the will and skill of the individual candidate is more important than a 'D' or 'R' next to his or her name.

If I ever do chose to identify solely with one party or another it shall be because I have a thorough understanding of both parties and because one has proven beyond a doubt to be the preferred choice.

And my skin is plenty thick :tongue:

You need to decide, because principles should guide your decisions and not the flavor of the week. Politics are about negoiation, cooperation without concessions is weakness.

Forum List

Back