Cultural exhaustion

"The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery."
Most in the non-troll population understand the difference between a flag and an image of the flag.

Our public schools are filled with idiots working for them. That makes me have much respect for the level of patience the non-idiot employees must have.

I donno Si, did you read the article?:

..... Cinco de Mayo is not any typical day especially on a campus with a large Mexican American student population.

Galli says he and his friends were sitting at a table during brunch break when the vice principal asked two of the boys to remove American flag bandannas that they wearing on their heads and for the others to turn their American flag T-shirts inside out.

They were warned

When they refused, the boys were ordered to go to the principal's office.

They were insolent

"They said we could wear it on any other day," Daniel Galli said, "but today is sensitive to Mexican-Americans because it's supposed to be their holiday so we were not allowed to wear it today."

The boys said the administrators called their T-shirts "incendiary" that would lead to fights on campus.

Essentially, the School Administration was doing nothing that our own USMB mods do with Octopron. It is their responsibility to keep the school running smoothly, not to hold court and decide what is constitutional or not.

The School Admin did their jobs.

"The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery."
Most in the non-troll population understand the difference between a flag and an image of the flag.

Our public schools are filled with idiots working for them. That makes me have much respect for the level of patience the non-idiot employees must have.

..... Cinco de Mayo is not any typical day especially on a campus with a large Mexican American student population.

Galli says he and his friends were sitting at a table during brunch break when the vice principal asked two of the boys to remove American flag bandannas that they wearing on their heads and for the others to turn their American flag T-shirts inside out.

They were warned

They were insolent

"They said we could wear it on any other day," Daniel Galli said, "but today is sensitive to Mexican-Americans because it's supposed to be their holiday so we were not allowed to wear it today."

The boys said the administrators called their T-shirts "incendiary" that would lead to fights on campus.

Essentially, the School Administration was doing nothing that our own USMB mods do with Octopron. It is their responsibility to keep the school running smoothly, not to hold court and decide what is constitutional or not.

You have a point. They were warned.

However, my point and others is when the rules themselves teach hypocrisy, it's not a good lesson to youth.

They were warned

They were insolent

However, my point and others is when the rules themselves teach hypocrisy, it's not a good lesson to youth.

The issue is that they should not have been warned at all. If the students celebrating Cinco de Mayo were Mexican-American, it is their flag too.

ACLU will be all over the school. It is protected speech and I dare the school to show that the flag is offensive to other students

The issue is that they should not have been warned at all. If the students celebrating Cinco de Mayo were Mexican-American, it is their flag too.

ACLU will be all over the school. It is protected speech and I dare the school to show that the flag is offensive to other students

Agreed. Buuuuut, free speech is not necessarily protected in schools.

Threads Merged.

"They said we could wear it on any other day, but today is sensitive to Mexican Americans because it's supposed to be their holiday so we were not allowed to wear it today," Daniel Galli said.
Wow! Talk about being freaked out when I refreshed and saw two threads merged. I thought I was losing my mind! :eek:

Anyway, what I was going to say is it pisses me off that we Americans have to be PC, tolerant and sensitive to others. It's all about 'feelings'. Kinda like the NY Times Square terrorist. Did he have a sense of 'belonging'. Did we do enough to make him feel like he was part of the 'community'. Sorry, I know I went off topic for a sec there.

If school was in session during the July 4th holiday, would the Mexican Americans have to be tolerant as well and not wear any apparel with their Mexican flag on it. I can't help but wonder if the same rule would apply.

Si... I agree with that.. unless there was a double standard set.... if other students were allowed to wear or display other things representing another cultural or national flag... and those students were not afforded the same punishment... then that is a problem....

And IMHO this whole 'sensitivity' bullshit has gone too far

Last edited:
Threads Merged.

"They said we could wear it on any other day, but today is sensitive to Mexican Americans because it's supposed to be their holiday so we were not allowed to wear it today," Daniel Galli said.
Wow! Talk about being freaked out when I refreshed and saw two threads merged. I thought I was losing my mind! :eek:

Anyway, what I was going to say is it pisses me off that we Americans have to be PC, tolerant and sensitive to others. It's all about 'feelings'. Kinda like the NY Times Square terrorist. Did he have a sense of 'belonging'. Did we do enough to make him feel like he was part of the 'community'. Sorry, I know I went off topic for a sec there.

If school was in session during the July 4th holiday, would the Mexican Americans have to be tolerant as well and not wear any apparel with their Mexican flag on it. I can't help but wonder if the same rule would apply.
It's the lesson. Hypocrisy is OK. The definition of 'is' is not really 'is'. Relativism is a cool tool and makes the fallacy of begging the question, not a logical fallacy. That's not nearly as important as feelings.

THIS is education and these are the students who are expected to contribute to society in a few years. Scarey.

They were warned

They were insolent

Having a riot at school is also slightly detrimental to educational goals and objectives.

Did the school announce in advance that the US flag was not to be worn on May 5th?

Did they fly the US flag on the flag pole out front of the school that day or the Mexican flag?

Are the kids Mexican-Americans or Americans of Mexican ancestory?

Are their illegals at the school? Are they the ones who might have turned violent?

I dare the school to show that the flag is offensive to other students

:eek:

Yes, I'm sure the school was wrong in not accepting your dare, and possibly have hundreds of students injured (maybe killed?) and $$$ of propetry damage.

:rolleyes:

You guys need to get real.

Seems to me, the Principal was afraid of some trouble between the students which begs teh question...who is in charge at that school?

BTW...someone should point out to the principal and any student who has a problem with the American flag that Cinco de Mayo is a Mexican AMERICAN holiday.

Stupid Principal.

Having a riot at school is also slightly detrimental to educational goals and objectives.

No, it is not. But, there was no riot. Following authority is a good lesson. Teaching just authority is also a valuable lesson. And, when authority is unjust, teaching non-violent disobedience is a good lesson on how to effect change from unjust authority.

Finally, doing it right from the start is a great lesson.

Don't Mexican Americans wear the American flag too?

Can you wear an American Flag on Saint Patricks Day?

This Principal is TOAST

Agreed , he is a complete asshole who needs to find a nice job at Taco bell or Micky Ds

I am in complete agreement with the Code Section that sets out proper use and respect for the Flag. I haven't seen a whole lot of American Flags being displayed by Mexicans or the Mexican community. They're flying or displaying the Mexican flag in every available place they can. They have no intention of becoming citizens of America.

Where I disagree and find fault with the principal's "warning" is that the students were not warned to not wear the American flag under any circumstances, but rather they were warned not to wear the shirts in specific deference to a Mexican holiday. Do we do that in deference to a celebration by any other nationality? No.

I have no problem at all with Cinco de Mayo being celebrated in America any more than I have a problem with Americans of Italian descent celebrate the Feast of San Genaro or a festival of any other nationality. You go to the festivals to have a good time, eat really great food, enjoy native dances of whatever nationality - and we go home.

I dare the school to show that the flag is offensive to other students

:eek:

Yes, I'm sure the school was wrong in not accepting your dare, and possibly have hundreds of students injured (maybe killed?) and $$$ of propetry damage.

:rolleyes:

You guys need to get real.

Yes,,,,Schools across the nation have riots over displaying the American Flag

You need to get real

Si... I agree with that.. unless there was a double standard set.... if other students were allowed to wear or display other things representing another cultural or national flag... and those students were not afforded the same punishment... then that is a problem....

And IMHO this whole 'sensitivity' bullshit has gone too far
We are on the same page.

Will this school ask students to leave their Santa sweaters home on Kwanza or Hannaka? If you have violent kids, that is your problem, not a holiday or flag.

Totally ridiculous by the school. Man I'm glad I'm not a student in this day of idiocy and political correctness. I would not of abided, nor should they have to. If they are so worried about what students are wearing, make them all wear uniforms.

Totally ridiculous by the school. Man I'm glad I'm not a student in this day of idiocy and political correctness. I would not of abided, nor should they have to. If they are so worried about what students are wearing, make them all wear uniforms.
Great point. If the school cannot handle their student population because of clothing, or even if they fear violence because of clothing, then it is high time they remove that perceived threat. Maybe they could actually teach subject matter then.

Where's the ACLU?

There's going to be a lawsuit if I have to fund it myself!!!

Idiots like you have no idea what the ACLU is about. I would think if this becomes a case the ACLU would file a friend of the court brief. But I fail to see a case:

Morgan Hill Unified School District released a statement saying it does not agree with how Live Oak High School administrators handled this incident and that the boys would not be suspended.

Read more: California kids blasted for wearing American flag shirts on Cinco de Mayo

I understand the Principal wanted to avoid a physical disturbance. What would you have done as Principal?

Many members of Live Oak High School's large Mexican-American student population that felt it was offensive for the students to wear the American flag on a day that's supposed to celebrate Mexican heritage.

When the boys refused to take off their flag t-shirts and bandannas, they were ordered to go to the principal's office.

"They said we could wear it on any other day," Live Oak student Daniel Galli said, "but today is sensitive to Mexican-Americans because it's supposed to be their holiday so we were not allowed to wear it today."

The alleged concern was that the T-shirts would lead to fights on campus.

"They said if we tried to go back to class with our shirts not taken off, they said it was defiance and we would get suspended," said Dominic Maciel.

Read more: California kids blasted for wearing American flag shirts on Cinco de Mayo

Forum List

Back