Cultural exhaustion

Totally ridiculous by the school. Man I'm glad I'm not a student in this day of idiocy and political correctness. I would not of abided, nor should they have to. If they are so worried about what students are wearing, make them all wear uniforms.
Great point. If the school cannot handle their student population because of clothing, or even if they fear violence because of clothing, then it is high time they remove that perceived threat. Maybe they could actually teach subject matter then.

School uniforms? Then what about symbols on jewelry and more...glasses, shoes, ties..?

Totally ridiculous by the school. Man I'm glad I'm not a student in this day of idiocy and political correctness. I would not of abided, nor should they have to. If they are so worried about what students are wearing, make them all wear uniforms.

Political correctness? Where? Avoiding a fight? I think it sucks that America students are split...many of those celebrating Cinco De Mayo must be Americans too...but where is the PC?

Great point. If the school cannot handle their student population because of clothing, or even if they fear violence because of clothing, then it is high time they remove that perceived threat. Maybe they could actually teach subject matter then.

School uniforms? Then what about symbols on jewelry and more...glasses, shoes, ties..?
Uniforms can be defined as the school sees fit.

I am in complete agreement with the Code Section that sets out proper use and respect for the Flag. I haven't seen a whole lot of American Flags being displayed by Mexicans or the Mexican community. They're flying or displaying the Mexican flag in every available place they can. They have no intention of becoming citizens of America.

Where I disagree and find fault with the principal's "warning" is that the students were not warned to not wear the American flag under any circumstances, but rather they were warned not to wear the shirts in specific deference to a Mexican holiday. Do we do that in deference to a celebration by any other nationality? No.

I have no problem at all with Cinco de Mayo being celebrated in America any more than I have a problem with Americans of Italian descent celebrate the Feast of San Genaro or a festival of any other nationality. You go to the festivals to have a good time, eat really great food, enjoy native dances of whatever nationality - and we go home.

If Americans were angry at Italian immigrants and there were tensions between Italian Americans and others...I can assure you wearing an American flag at an Italian festival would be dangerous. Mexican Americans are not so different than other Americans.

You are an embarrassment to America. Mexicans in LA where I live, fly the American Flag as well as the Mexican flag. I grew up listening to racist bitches like you complain about Italian Americans displaying the Italian flag on everything from cars to tattoos.

eat shit you racist bitch

No shit. But wearing of medals and other things have been challenged. Uniforms may be a good idea...but kids will always look to stick out..they always have.

too many old assholes forget what it's like to be young.

Where's the ACLU?

There's going to be a lawsuit if I have to fund it myself!!!

Idiots like you have no idea what the ACLU is about. I would think if this becomes a case the ACLU would file a friend of the court brief. But I fail to see a case:

Morgan Hill Unified School District released a statement saying it does not agree with how Live Oak High School administrators handled this incident and that the boys would not be suspended.

Read more: California kids blasted for wearing American flag shirts on Cinco de Mayo

I understand the Principal wanted to avoid a physical disturbance. What would you have done as Principal?

Many members of Live Oak High School's large Mexican-American student population that felt it was offensive for the students to wear the American flag on a day that's supposed to celebrate Mexican heritage.

When the boys refused to take off their flag t-shirts and bandannas, they were ordered to go to the principal's office.

"They said we could wear it on any other day," Live Oak student Daniel Galli said, "but today is sensitive to Mexican-Americans because it's supposed to be their holiday so we were not allowed to wear it today."

The alleged concern was that the T-shirts would lead to fights on campus.

"They said if we tried to go back to class with our shirts not taken off, they said it was defiance and we would get suspended," said Dominic Maciel.

Read more: California kids blasted for wearing American flag shirts on Cinco de Mayo

I would have left the kids alone. Fuck mexico and fuck cinco de mayo, this is the United States of America, why the fuck would any reasonable American want to celebrate a mexican holiday. I say if you wish to celebrate mexican holidays, then move your ass to mexico!

Last edited:
I saw this story on KTVU last night. The reporter interviewed a girl who snivelled that it was disrespectful for the boys to wear American flags on Cinco de Mayo. After all, she and her friends didn't wear the Mexican flag on American holidays.

She seems to forget that this IS America.

This is absolutely shameful.

No shit. But wearing of medals and other things have been challenged. Uniforms may be a good idea...but kids will always look to stick out..they always have.

too many old assholes forget what it's like to be young.
And too many morons don't know shit.

The obvious is not always a given with some. :cuckoo:

Where's the ACLU?

There's going to be a lawsuit if I have to fund it myself!!!

Idiots like you have no idea what the ACLU is about. I would think if this becomes a case the ACLU would file a friend of the court brief. But I fail to see a case:

I understand the Principal wanted to avoid a physical disturbance. What would you have done as Principal?

Many members of Live Oak High School's large Mexican-American student population that felt it was offensive for the students to wear the American flag on a day that's supposed to celebrate Mexican heritage.

When the boys refused to take off their flag t-shirts and bandannas, they were ordered to go to the principal's office.

"They said we could wear it on any other day," Live Oak student Daniel Galli said, "but today is sensitive to Mexican-Americans because it's supposed to be their holiday so we were not allowed to wear it today."

The alleged concern was that the T-shirts would lead to fights on campus.

"They said if we tried to go back to class with our shirts not taken off, they said it was defiance and we would get suspended," said Dominic Maciel.

I would have left the kids alone. Fuck mexico and fuck cinco de mayo, this is the United States of America, why the fuck would any reasonable American want to celebrate a mexican holiday. I say if you wish to celebrate mexican holidays, then move your ass to mexico!
Why would we want to celebrate St. Patrick's Day?

(Well, the obvious reason for both is alcohol, but still.)

Banning the flag out of fear of violence has been done before.

In the Netherlands the national flag is now banned on most schools. If a student wears the national flag of his own country he will be suspended or expelled from school. The reason for this is that this provokes the immigrants (the muslims) and therefore it is considered discrimination if you wear your country's flag in your own country. Even people who have an bumpersticker whit the flag on their car are harassed and called a facist by the Muslims. Most schools also ban certain clothing like the Lonsdale brand and combat boots with white or red laces. This is also concidered a sign of racism.
There are of course no restrictions for the immigrants on clothing.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...al+flag+is+now+banned+in+most+schools&spell=1

I saw this story on KTVU last night. The reporter interviewed a girl who snivelled that it was disrespectful for the boys to wear American flags on Cinco de Mayo. After all, she and her friends didn't wear the Mexican flag on American holidays.

Did the reporter ask her if she was an American or Mexican? Where were the parents, did they ask to see their papers?

Quick test: Have an ICE agent stand behind the reporter.

What its like to be young? Yeah, I know, be phony, try to act cool and impress others, strut around acting tough, act mean to try and impress others, make fun of others that may not be able to afford good, stylish clothing. it's bullshit. even worse is when adults do that shit.

Uniforms would level the playing field IMO. You have plenty of time after school to try and look cool and impress.

same reason why people celebrate cinco de mayo, just another excuse to party and drink tequila

The difference is St. Patricks Day has long been a religious holiday. It's in honor of St. Patrick (387-461 AD), it doesn't commemorate a victory of a battle that happened in Mexico in 1862. Fact is the St. Patricks Day parade was started here in the US in 1762 on, you guessed it, March 17th.

You would have let the Anglo kids get their asses kicked?

you really are fresh out of home school.

president of your class. :rofl:

Dante has a point about kids doing things to stand out or kind of define themselves. These kids probably did wear those shirts in an attempt at passive rebellion at having a holiday shoved down their throats that they do not believe in. It's common for kids to act out and these kids may have just wanted to show pride in their country. I see no problem with them wearing those shirts or bandanas. There really should have been no possibilities of violence because of that attire.

I bet I could easily slide into an Irish pub on St. Patty's day wearing a shirt with an American flag on it and be welcomed in conversation and drinking.

Obama really needs to stop with his divisive rhetoric. It's gone too far if you can't wear a shirt with an American flag on it to school. That school sounds like a zoo, (like what I went to), rather than an institution for learning.

It is shameful that American adults and authorities have allowed the cultural landscape to get to this point, but what would you have done as Principal?

Banning the flag out of fear of violence has been done before.

In the Netherlands the national flag is now banned on most schools. If a student wears the national flag of his own country he will be suspended or expelled from school. The reason for this is that this provokes the immigrants (the muslims) and therefore it is considered discrimination if you wear your country's flag in your own country. Even people who have an bumpersticker whit the flag on their car are harassed and called a facist by the Muslims. Most schools also ban certain clothing like the Lonsdale brand and combat boots with white or red laces. This is also concidered a sign of racism.
There are of course no restrictions for the immigrants on clothing.
Netherlands the national flag is now banned in most schools - Google Search

Netherlands? We don't live there and I don't believe your synopsis of the cultural tensions in the Netherlands.

People in American are called commies and fascists and fags and dikes and more...for having political or pride bumper stickers on their cars. So what? People are people.

There are NO restrictions on immigrant clothing where?

It is shameful that American adults and authorities have allowed the cultural landscape to get to this point, but what would you have done as Principal?

I may have possibly acted the same way the Principal did.

The difference is St. Patricks Day has long been a religious holiday. It's in honor of St. Patrick (387-461 AD), it doesn't commemorate a victory of a battle that happened in Mexico in 1862. Fact is the St. Patricks Day parade was started here in the US in 1762 on, you guessed it, March 17th.
As every day of the year has a saint associated with it, every day is a religious holiday.

Denying that St. Paddy's is more than a day of celebration of Irish heritage here is disingenuous. Same with Cinco de Mayo, only Mexican heritage.

Forum List

Back