Crystal meth stages comeback in Miami — more potent and dangerous than ever

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
An old drug is making new inroads in South Florida and it’s far more potent and dangerous than in the past.

Crystal meth — a chemical high popular in the early 2000s, particularly on the gay party scene — is staging a comeback. In the last couple of years, it has racked up more overdose victims, created a new wave of addicts and spurred bigger police probes into trafficking of the highly addictive drug.

And much of what’s being sold is no longer low-grade methamphetamine home-cooked in some ramshackle Florida trailer park.

Instead, the meth being seized in South Florida is high-grade crystal concocted in “super labs” south of the United States border, then smuggled in as part of Mexican cartels’ efforts to expand into East Coast markets, according to law enforcement authorities.

So far in 2017, Miami-Dade’s crime lab has identified 267 cases of crystal-meth seizures by local cops — more than triple the number of cases five years ago. The purity is consistently near 100 percent.

“With the much stronger meth, there is a higher rate of psychosis and overdoses,” said David Fawcett, a South Florida therapist who works with gay men, one of the groups most affected by the rise of the stimulant drug. “People are getting addicted sooner.”

Even before the drug waned, South Florida was never a huge market for meth. Cocaine remains the king of illegal highs in South Florida. And in recent years, opioids such as fentanyl and heroin have climbed the ranks to become a national scourge. Opioid overdoses have killed hundreds in South Florida alone over the last few years.

Sometimes called “crank,” “speed,” “ice” or “tina,” meth has thrived in the underworld markets of Western and Midwestern states. The acclaimed TV drama Breaking Bad chronicled the world of fictional meth dealers in New Mexico. Rural areas of central and northern Florida have also dealt with small-time meth production and addictions.

The country’s clandestine meth labs peaked over a decade ago and began waning as authorities cracked down on chemicals used to make the drug, including limiting sales of over-the-counter cold medications that contain pseudoephedrine, a key ingredient.

Good times, ahead, Miami. You can get it through the mail.

An old drug is making new inroads in South Florida and it’s far more potent and dangerous than in the past.

Crystal meth — a chemical high popular in the early 2000s, particularly on the gay party scene — is staging a comeback. In the last couple of years, it has racked up more overdose victims, created a new wave of addicts and spurred bigger police probes into trafficking of the highly addictive drug.

And much of what’s being sold is no longer low-grade methamphetamine home-cooked in some ramshackle Florida trailer park.

Instead, the meth being seized in South Florida is high-grade crystal concocted in “super labs” south of the United States border, then smuggled in as part of Mexican cartels’ efforts to expand into East Coast markets, according to law enforcement authorities.

So far in 2017, Miami-Dade’s crime lab has identified 267 cases of crystal-meth seizures by local cops — more than triple the number of cases five years ago. The purity is consistently near 100 percent.

“With the much stronger meth, there is a higher rate of psychosis and overdoses,” said David Fawcett, a South Florida therapist who works with gay men, one of the groups most affected by the rise of the stimulant drug. “People are getting addicted sooner.”

Even before the drug waned, South Florida was never a huge market for meth. Cocaine remains the king of illegal highs in South Florida. And in recent years, opioids such as fentanyl and heroin have climbed the ranks to become a national scourge. Opioid overdoses have killed hundreds in South Florida alone over the last few years.

Sometimes called “crank,” “speed,” “ice” or “tina,” meth has thrived in the underworld markets of Western and Midwestern states. The acclaimed TV drama Breaking Bad chronicled the world of fictional meth dealers in New Mexico. Rural areas of central and northern Florida have also dealt with small-time meth production and addictions.

The country’s clandestine meth labs peaked over a decade ago and began waning as authorities cracked down on chemicals used to make the drug, including limiting sales of over-the-counter cold medications that contain pseudoephedrine, a key ingredient.

BLM deal meth... fact

I've found that the easiest way someone has damaged their brain on too much speed is when they tell you a very common paranoid delusion I've heard from a few different addicts: "You see that car over there? I saw the SAME license plate on a DIFFERENT car the other day! It's the FBI, they're doing it just to fuck with us!"

especially in the gay party scene....What a crock of shit, it was popular in every genre of society...

^^^^^

Even moonglow's crochet club ..( him and his lady's could knit all night long and make a blanket under 4 hours)

BLM deal meth... fact
So do hillbillies and rednecks, next...

especially in the gay party scene....What a crock of shit, it was popular in every genre of society...

^^^^^

Even moonglow's crochet club ..( him and his lady's could knit all night long and make a blanket under 4 hours)
It's in cold medicines..

I know that's how you make it..

I know you did crank and meth , I only did them both one time couldn't stand either one ...every one told me meth would keep you up for days..

My drug tolerance is way to high ..those are light weights compared to 80s cocaine.

And I don't get the story how do you get pure meth?

Now I want to try some :)

Have good connections that don't cut it with bunk... Yeah I know all about meth but I am not a fan of it....

That's a messed up high it doesn't blow your mind away ..it just gets you in a weird zone, and crank drops you like a rock (well it did to me) it tastes to much like medicine..fuck that

Have good connections that don't cut it with bunk... Yeah I know all about meth but I am not a fan of it....

That's a messed up high it doesn't blow your mind away ..it just gets you in a weird zone, and crank drops you like a rock (well it did to me) it tastes to much like medicine..fuck that
The crystal meth from the 1970's cut with ether was the good stuff, then came the 1980's and the bunk really increased with crank...

The crystal meth from the 1970's cut with ether was the good stuff, then came the 1980's and the bunk really increased with crank...

Seriously?

Informative..I never really even heard of meth untill I moved down south in 2004 , I didn't know anyone selling it up in Chicago..
But the damn ether cut with cocaine was the best damn high ever in the 80s

The dentists, oral surgeons and prosthedontists in the area will sure make a killing. Speed incinerates teeth into liquid shit. It doesn't take long, either, just a handful of years. Regardless of the method of ingestion. And all that tooth agony will likely lead to Vicodin abuse, which will eventually lead to heroin abuse in at least some people. It's a case of one drug problem begetting a completely opposite drug problem.

Forum List

Back