CRTC Approves Fox News For Canada

Said1

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2004
Somewhere in Ontario
This is good news eh Marbles. :D

CRTC approves Fox News for Canada

OTTAWA - The conservative-leaning Fox News Channel will soon be coming to Canadian digital television channels.

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) approved an application Thursday to bring the Fox News Channel, one of the highest-rated news channels in the United States, onto Canadian digital airwaves.

The Canadian Cable Telecommunications Association (CCTA) applied to the broadcast regulator in April.

Canadians already have access to the main Fox network, but not the right-leaning, 24-hour news channel, with its trademarked slogan of "fair and balanced."

The Canadian Association of Broadcasters (CAB) opposed the application, saying it would discourage foreign broadcasters from partnering with Canadian broadcasters.

However, in its decision, the CRTC said Fox News offers little Canadian coverage and is not "partially or totally competitive with any Canadian pay or specialty service." It added that the channel would "significantly boost digital penetration in Canada" and increase the availability of digital services in the country.

The CRTC also approved the NFL Network, a 24-hour "lifestyle and entertainment" channel for football fans. It doesn't carry live games, with the exception of a few exhibition games.

Past application rejected

The CRTC rejected a CCTA application to bring Fox to Canada last November because Fox News U.S. and Winnipeg-based Global Television were planning to create Fox News Canada, a combination of U.S. and Canadian news.

However, in March, a Fox U.S. executive said there were no plans to create the combined channel.

The CRTC was thrust into the spotlight in July after giving conditional approval to the digital broadcast of Arab television station al-Jazeera.

* FROM JULY 15, 2004: Al-Jazeera cleared for Canadian viewers

The commission said Canadian carriers had to keep an "audio-visual recording" of the controversial network's broadcasts. It told Canadian distributors to monitor the broadcast 24 hours a day, giving them permission to "alter or curtail" programming to keep out abusive commentary, especially of an anti-Semitic nature.

No Canadian distributors carry al-Jazeera.

Fox was launched in 1996 by a former Republican advisor, Roger Ailes. It's a subsidiary of News Corp. Ltd., which is controlled by right-wing Australian media tycoon Rupert Murdoch.

Link

SHIT!!!! There goes my scheme to smuggle video taped FOX programs into Canada. Dammit. Another get rich quick scheme shot to hell.

Marbles, you told me you already had fox news in canada. I guess that was just another of your many lies.

Said1 said:
I can't find it for some reason. Stupid cable box! :D

Hmmm - I once heard that when a Canadian complains of "snow" on the television, that there really is SNOW on the television.

Hole in the igloo???

:teeth:

dilloduck said:
Is there a hole in your igloo or are you just unhappy to see me---never mind.
seemed like there was a joke in there somewhere
:coffee3:

"Is there a hole in your igloo dear Eliza". Wow, that was even worse. :whip:

:coffee3:

Congrats said,I love Fox News. You get good ,fair coverage. Although watch out for that Greta Van Sustern(?) She covers the Scott Peterson trial too much for me!!!!!

krisy said:
Congrats said,I love Fox News. You get good ,fair coverage. Although watch out for that Greta Van Sustern(?) She covers the Scott Peterson trial too much for me!!!!!

We do get some Fox stuff, including Greta, although I don't think she's on anymore. I didn't like that little troll anyway. :D

Said1 said:
We do get some Fox stuff, including Greta, although I don't think she's on anymore. I didn't like that little troll anyway. :D

Me niether,she's a former CNN employee. I don't know if she fits in too well at Fox. I usually watch Joe Scarborough at 10 when Great comes on. Her show is like Access Hollywood or something.

:bang3:

it's pretty crappy that Today's media is SOO Far left-leaning, that a 'central-leaning' organization, such as fox, is now called 'right leaning'.

Said1 said:
That's just a news hour. 36 here.

That explains it. When we were orginally talking of it, I thought people were talking about the news hour. I didn't know that there was a digital Fox News channel until recently.

MrMarbles said:
That explains it. When we were orginally talking of it, I thought people were talking about the news hour. I didn't know that there was a digital Fox News channel until recently.

Oui, trez bein! :D

Forum List

Back