If one window is smashed in my city!!!!

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Said1, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    The last time they were here protesting the G7 or 8 or whatever it was, the assholes did a lot of damage to private and public property. I wish I had the time to organize a protest protesting their sick violent behavior while they are in MY city. Fine, come here, be against whatever it is you are against, but respect our city!!!!

2. HorhayAtAMD

HorhayAtAMD Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31
    In other words: "We are threatening violence so you should bring the police but if you do, any violence will be all their fault."

I have no issues if you want to protest Bush but there is absolutely no excuse for violence, ESPECIALLY if what you are protesting against is violence. Hypocrits!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Isaac Brock

Isaac Brock Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Agreed. I think peaceful activism speaks more legitimately to the public than violent acts. I certainly hope people behave with civility.

If Ghandi could libertate the jewel of the British Empire with a message of peace, than anything is possible.

4. Merlin1047

Merlin1047 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Seems to me that if you have the leadership of these protest groups admitting that they will engage in unlawful conduct, you could just sic the cops on them in advance and send them packing.

5. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    I would say this is a good example of hate speach right? Arrest those mad men!

Last time, they didn't stay together in a large group, a small number of them did most of the damage, while the bulk was around the hill area. The idiots smashing windows and damaging cars were picked up fairly quickly, but not quick enough. I HOPE security will be much tighter this time.

I also tried to get down there a last time, but was trapped on a bus that was re-routed and then got caught in traffic. I walked up to the hill, but I wasn't allowed past the barriers, and everyone had left anyway.

6. Merlin1047

Merlin1047 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +450
    I would differentiate this from hate speech - especially as defined by your law. If I said I was coming to your neighborhood to burn your house down, then there is no reason to sit back and wait to see if I'm actually going to do it. I have stated my intent. If I show up in your neighborhood, then that should be sufficient evidence that I intend to make good on my threat.

On the other hand, if I were to get up on a soapbox and say that all french Canadians should be either shipped back to la belle france or fed to polar bears, then that is an opinion which I have a right to voice. But in Canada I can get in trouble for that.

7. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    I swear, I forget that damn smilie one more time.......:D:D and one more for good luck. :D

You can pick on the french in Canada, they like it.

8. Merlin1047

Merlin1047 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Gotcha, smartass!!! Laid the trap and you jumped in with both feet. I saw you coming that time and thought I'd throw out a little bait to see if you'd fall for your own tricks.

heh heh. Don't mess with us old folks. We may be getting a little slower, but we're devious and cunning.

:teeth:

9. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937

What?

Ok look, I really didn't want to be the one to tell you this, BUT while you were away, some men with white coats came looking for you. :D

10. Merlin1047

Merlin1047 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Were they Canadian hate speech enforcers?