Crowd stunned after valedictorian rips up speech, recites Lord’s prayer

Katzndogz

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2011
The crowd was stunned.

Crowd stunned after valedictorian rips up speech, recites Lord's prayer - Washington Times

A South Carolina valedictorian garnered wild applause after he ripped up his pre-approved speech and delivered the Lord’s prayer at his high school graduation on Saturday.

The act was apparently in protest of the Pickens County School District’s decision to no longer include prayer at graduation ceremonies, Christian News reported. Officials said the decision was made after the district was barraged with complaints by atheist groups.

“He’s a graduate now. There’s nothing we can do about it, even if we wanted to.”

This is what it will take. It's impressive that this was done by a high school student. It will take ordinary people standing up to the religious bullying of atheists and not taking it anymore.

That's what brain washing will get you. Start on them young and never let them think for themselves.

Bet his parents vote teepub all the way.

But really, who cares?

"... religious bullying of atheists ..." Although its annoying when the little bastards hit your door on Saturday morning, just keep slamming that door. You'll be okay. LOL

That's what brain washing will get you. Start on them young and never let them think for themselves.

But really, who cares?

"... religious bullying of atheists ..." Although its annoying when the little bastards hit your door on Saturday morning, just keep slamming that door. You'll be okay. LOL

What's wrong with being religious? Obviously there's a lot of pressure nowadays to NOT be religious, so (if anything) the kid IS thinking for himself.

Teepub? Not sure if that's a word.

But really, who cares?

What's wrong with being religious? Obviously there's a lot of pressure nowadays to NOT be religious, so (if anything) the kid IS thinking for himself.

You must have missed where I wrote

WHO CARES?

But, in fact, religious nutjobs are shoving their superstitions down our throats at every turn. Everywhere you look, there are churches and tv and radio shows, tv and radio networks and yes, they even have the nerve to accost you in your own home.

And, its all tax free.

Tell me about the atheist tv, radio, churches, tax breaks and, please, tell me how often an atheist rings your doorbell, demanding money for their brain washing propaganda?

religion-is-like-a-penis-bw-480x357.jpg

Troll line edited.

Last edited by a moderator:

But really, who cares?

WHO CARES?

But, in fact, religious nutjobs are shoving their superstitions down our throats at every turn. Everywhere you look, there are churches and tv and radio shows, tv and radio networks and yes, they even have the nerve to accost you in your own home.

And, its all tax free.

Tell me about the atheist tv, radio, churches, tax breaks and, please, tell me how often an atheist rings your doorbell, demanding money for their brain washing propaganda?

I'm a non-religious person and don't feel like anyone is shoving stuff down my throat. If a radio station is preachy, I simply turn it off.

Ever notice the billions of other ads and commercials we encounter daily? It's a fact of American life; people are trying to get you to convert, buy, sell, move, ect, ect. If you're not interested, move on.

Sometimes I feel like folks on the left are unfairly mean to those who believe in God or read the bible. It's quickly becoming my pet peeve.

Just get on with your own life, you know? Sure, I don't agree with all the tax-exemptions, and that can really probably be overhauled, but Google, Amazon, GE, and all those companies enjoy numerous tax-exemptions as well; that's what you should be more concerned about...

But really, who cares?

WHO CARES?

And, its all tax free.

And what was obviously "shoved down the throats" of the school district when it was barraged with complaints by atheist groups??

The crowd was stunned.

Crowd stunned after valedictorian rips up speech, recites Lord's prayer - Washington Times

A South Carolina valedictorian garnered wild applause after he ripped up his pre-approved speech and delivered the Lord’s prayer at his high school graduation on Saturday.

The act was apparently in protest of the Pickens County School District’s decision to no longer include prayer at graduation ceremonies, Christian News reported. Officials said the decision was made after the district was barraged with complaints by atheist groups.

“He’s a graduate now. There’s nothing we can do about it, even if we wanted to.”

This is what it will take. It's impressive that this was done by a high school student. It will take ordinary people standing up to the religious bullying of atheists and not taking it anymore.

That's nice. What version did he recite?

By its very definition, faith in a religion is the opposite of thinking for one's self. That's what "faith" means.

And what was obviously "shoved down the throats" of the school district when it was barraged with complaints by atheist groups??

So, both sides of this issue should not be heard from?

Why are "christians" always so afraid of the non-god pov? Its okay with christians that our Constitution be ignored or crapped on so they can push their propaganda but they don't want the other side to have the same right.

The crowd was stunned.

(My bold)

Where did he attack atheists? I looked @ the URL, it's not mentioned there.

"ripped up his preapproved speech" - so his local high school is giving up the right to dictate what is said @ their graduation, @ their microphone? That's interesting, I can hardly wait until a militant __________________ (fill in the blank) takes over the podium & delivers a heart-felt speech, & cites this incident as precedent. I'm sure - depending on the popularity of the snount-counters - that the principal, school board et al. will hurriedly find the cojones to kill the mike. Which, of course, they could have done in the discussion @ hand.

Of course the school could do something about it. They can demand an apology, issue a retraction, hold up his transcripts - & probably a dozen other things. But I suspect that the school simply doesn't want to have the fight, & they figure they can cut & run, & who's going to raise a fuss? Just because they abdicate control of their own ceremony & podium? This was a bad decision, which will come back to haunt them.

I wonder if there are any Wiccans on track to become valedictorian? Should be fun. The same people who are all for a brave show of independence from them damn furriners will be all up in arms then, torches 'n' pitchforks, no doubt ...

Well lets see what happens at next years graduation when an atheist gets the podium and starts to inform the crowd that there is no god and Jesus was just a nice man in a robe and sandals

The crowd was stunned.

The only people doing the bullying are the Christians that expect my tax dollars to be used to promote their religion.

The crowd was stunned.

The only people doing the bullying are the Christians that expect my tax dollars to be used to promote their religion.

Are they using your tax dollars, or are they exempt from paying taxes? Two different things.

Also, what about all of the HUGE companies like google, Amazon, ect who enjoy an extraordinarily low tax rate? Do you rally against those corporations with equal vigor?

Are they using your tax dollars, or are they exempt from paying taxes? Two different things.

Also, what about all of the HUGE companies like google, Amazon, ect who enjoy an extraordinarily low tax rate? Do you rally against those corporations with equal vigor?

(My bold)

Churches in general are exempt from paying taxes, because they - presumably - do good things for the community @ large - schools, hospitals, sanatoriums, charitable works, & so on. The state recognizes the utility of these services. The public schools are supported by local property taxes in most jurisdictions, & state constitutions align with the federal constitution. The federal & state governments are barred from overtly religious ceremonies, prayers mandated by the state, & so on.

When the local school district decided not to allow prayer @ graduation ceremonies, it was probably @ the advice of their counsel, who knew that the district would likely lose any court case in re. & if any student/parents feel strongly enough about it now, the school district could find itself in court anyway, where they will promptly lose the case - for permitting prayer at the graduation ceremony, from their podium, with their microphone - allowing prayer under the color of the state's public education institution.

Google etc. do not expect to barge into public school graduation ceremonies & hijack a captive audience with paeans to their corporate "sponsor". If anything, Google et al. expect to pay for the privilege of displaying their corporate logos & so forth. The cases are distinctly different.

The kid exercised his right of free speech and religious expression without coercion or direction from adults.

Good for him.

I think that the speaker should have the right to recite the Lord's Prayer. It is a matter of free speech. The audience also had the right to stand up and walk out during the middle of the speech. When I graduated from college, I had the right to refuse to attend graduation ceremonies, because the school actively weeded out anti-war activists during the oral interview that was necessary to gain admitance to the college. The college had stated that anyone who failed to attend graduation would not get a diploma. I knew that they did not have the authority to withold it, and I was right. It still hangs on my wall, although I did not attend the ceremony..

And, its all tax free.

Sometimes I feel like folks on the left are unfairly mean to those who believe in God or read the bible. It's quickly becoming my pet peeve.

I would agree with you if it were not for the fact that most "religious" advocates in the public marketplace are aggressively intolerant. How many of them rush to the defense of having a mosque in lower Manhattan? How many of them are OK with a non-Christian prayer at commencement if the valedictorian turns out to be Buddhist or Muslim? The truth is that almost none of these folks extend the tolerance to others they whine about not getting themselves. Their range of emotional response runs from anger to entitlement and rarely stops to extend any "Christian" virtues to anyone else.

We are not talking about everybody else, though.

We are talking about this valedictorian's moment in the sun.

Cherish him.

Forum List

Back