Crop Yields Double and Triple as Alarmists Cry ‘Climate Famine!’

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
http://news.heartland.org/sites/def...r-thumb-promo-large/corn_field_photos_1_2.jpg

I got the link to this article from the Human Events blog and have no idea what the framework of the organization is. It just makes a lot of sense to me and that's why I'm sharing it.

Objective facts prove just how silly the IPCC claims are. As I documented in a recent Forbes.com column, U.S. and global crop production – and especially production of the most important staple food crops – are rapidly increasing as our planet modestly warms. Global corn, rice, and wheat production have more than tripled since 1970. The United States is experiencing a similar explosion in crop production, with corn and rice production more than tripling since 1970. During the past few years, the United States has set crop production records for alfalfa, cotton, beans, sugar beets, sweet potatoes, canola, corn, flaxseed, hops, rice, sorghum, soybeans, sugarcane, sunflowers, peanuts, and wheat, to name just a few.
:mad:

How can this be when we have major areas of the US in the midst of severe drought? Maybe all the Globull Warming hype is simply a way to hike food costs? :eusa_whistle:

Read more @ Crop Yields Double and Triple as Alarmists Cry ?Climate Famine!? | Heartlander Magazine

http://news.heartland.org/sites/def...r-thumb-promo-large/corn_field_photos_1_2.jpg

I got the link to this article from the Human Events blog and have no idea what the framework of the organization is. It just makes a lot of sense to me and that's why I'm sharing it.

Objective facts prove just how silly the IPCC claims are. As I documented in a recent Forbes.com column, U.S. and global crop production – and especially production of the most important staple food crops – are rapidly increasing as our planet modestly warms. Global corn, rice, and wheat production have more than tripled since 1970. The United States is experiencing a similar explosion in crop production, with corn and rice production more than tripling since 1970. During the past few years, the United States has set crop production records for alfalfa, cotton, beans, sugar beets, sweet potatoes, canola, corn, flaxseed, hops, rice, sorghum, soybeans, sugarcane, sunflowers, peanuts, and wheat, to name just a few.

How can this be when we have major areas of the US in the midst of severe drought? Maybe all the Globull Warming hype is simply a way to hike food costs? :eusa_whistle:

Read more @ Crop Yields Double and Triple as Alarmists Cry ?Climate Famine!? | Heartlander Magazine

GWarming was recently used by Chipotle Restaurants as an excuse to drop money losing guacamole from their future menus.. (Now withdrawn because of public ridicule).. And it is GROSSLY being used by the insurance companies as an excuse to raise premiums..

So why not by the food producers ?? You give them the excuse --- folks in biz are gonna act on it..

And meanwhile, outside the rightwingnut echo chamber;

Extreme Weather Wreaking Havoc on Food as Farmers Suffer - Businessweek

Volatile weather around the world is taking farmers on a wild ride.

Too much rain in northern China damaged crops in May, three years after too little rain turned the world’s second-biggest corn producer into a net importer of the grain. Dry weather in the U.S. will cut beef output from the world’s biggest producer to the lowest level since 1994, following 2013’s bumper corn crop, which pushed America’s inventory up 30 percent. U.K. farmers couldn’t plant in muddy fields after the second-wettest year on record in 2012 dented the nation’s wheat production.

STORY: Keeping the Mystery Out of China's Meat
“Extreme weather events are a massive risk to agriculture,” said Peter Kendall, president of the U.K. National Farmers Union, who raises 1,600 hectares (3,953 acres) of grain crops in Bedfordshire, England. “Farmers can adapt to gradual temperature increases, but extreme weather events have the potential to completely undermine production. It could be drought, it could be too much rain, it could be extreme heat at the wrong time. It’s the extreme that does the damage.”

Farm ministers from around the world are gathering in Berlin tomorrow to discuss climate change and food production at an annual agricultural forum, with a joint statement planned after the meeting.

http://chge.med.harvard.edu/sites/default/files/resources/agricultureclimate.pdf

We highlight the following conclusions regarding the current state of the U.S. agricultural sector:
Since the 1970s, U.S. agriculture has achieved enhanced productivity, but has also experienced
greater variability in crop yields, prices, and farm income. The changes in variability
are, in part, climate-related, either directly (through extreme weather events) or
indirectly (due to agricultural pests and diseases).
Extreme weather events have caused severe crop damage and have exacted a significant
economic toll for U.S. farmers over the last 20 years. Total estimated damages, of which
agricultural losses are a part, from the 1988 summer drought were on the order of $56 billion
(normalized to 1998 dollars using an inflation wealth index), while those from the
1993 Mississippi River Valley floods exceeded $23 billion.
Both pest damage and pesticide use have increased since 1970. Nationally, in the 1990s,
pests were estimated to have destroyed about one third of our crops, in spite of advances
in pest control technology over the last half century.
The ranges of several important crop pests in the U.S., including the soybean cyst nematode
[the most destructive soybean pest in the U.S.] and corn gray leaf blight [the major
disease causing corn yield losses] have expanded since the early 1970s, possibly in
response, in part, to climate trends.
Pest and disease occurrences often coincide with extreme weather events and with
anomalous weather conditions, such as early or late rains, and decreased or increased
humidity, which by themselves can alter agricultural output. Recent climate trends, such
as increased nighttime and winter temperatures, may be contributing to the greater prevalence
of crop pests.
With regard to the potential future effects from climate change on U.S. agriculture, the following factors
are highlighted:
Expected temperature increases are likely to hasten the maturation of annual crop
plants, thereby reducing their total yield potential, with extremely high temperatures causing
more severe losses. Des Moines, Iowa, in the heart of the Corn Belt, currently experiences
fewer than 20 days per year with temperatures exceeding 90ºF. The number of days
with temperatures above 90ºF would double with a mean warming of 3.6ºF.

Extreme Weather Impacts Accelerating | Climate Denial Crock of the Week

Bloomberg:

Too much rain in northern China damaged crops in May, three years after too little rain turned the world’s second-biggest corn producer into a net importer of the grain. Dry weather in the U.S. will cut beef output from the world’s biggest producer to the lowest level since 1994, following 2013’s bumper corn crop, which pushed America’s inventory up 30 percent. U.K. farmers couldn’t plant in muddy fields after the second-wettest year on record in 2012 dented the nation’s wheat production.

“Extreme weather events are a massive risk to agriculture,” said Peter Kendall, president of the U.K. National Farmers Union, who raises 1,600 hectares (3,953 acres) of grain crops in Bedfordshire, England. “Farmers can adapt to gradual temperature increases, but extreme weather events have the potential to completely undermine production. It could be drought, it could be too much rain, it could be extreme heat at the wrong time. It’s the extreme that does the damage.”

Farm ministers from around the world are gathering in Berlin tomorrow to discuss climate change and food production at an annual agricultural forum, with a joint statement planned after the meeting.

GloBULL is right. LOL. I love it when dimwit "scientific predictions" prove to be worth less that the tissue paper they're written on.

And meanwhile, outside the rightwingnut echo chamber;

Extreme Weather Wreaking Havoc on Food as Farmers Suffer - Businessweek

STORY: Keeping the Mystery Out of China's Meat

Too much rain in northern China damaged crops in May, three years after too little rain turned the world’s second-biggest corn producer into a net importer of the grain.

This is awful! And unprecedented! LOL!

You'll have to explain how the weather was perfect until we started burning fossil fuels.

The OP is a desperate attempt to make one's views FEEL plausible. Feeling is not meaningful evidence, yet, we visit longknife's feelings on the state of America's/the world's resources as he feels is appropriate. I hope you know we don't assume food production of today will be the way it is in a decade. You must have never grown a garden in your life. We appreciate your feelings about the state of the world, but your feelings don't cut it.

I wonder if longknife has stepped outside his door recently let alone surveyed America's resources? Or for that mater, the globe's resources and determined how crops are doing and how food production is going and what we can expect in the future. Well, instead of trusting this numbed out conservative poster, we can actually look at the state of the world and see what we can expect because serious analysis has been done, thankfully!

If anyone wants some information instead of feelings on our crops and resources, check out Chatham House Report: Resource Futures. Among it's detailed analysis, here is a section of its summary:

The hard truth is that many of the fundamental conditions that gave rise to the tight markets in the past ten years remain. In the case of food, the world remains only one or two bad harvests away from another global crisis. Lower prices in the meantime may simply trigger another bout of resource binge, especially in the large and growing developing countries.

Last edited:
Alarmism is gay.

You are correct, as always. But if you had spent one full minute to read my post instead of thinking of pre-set reply that conveys no information, you'd realize I didn't mention anything that speaks to hype (what alarmism is); I linked a study that analyzes our resources. Nothing more, nothing less.

Forum List

Back