Crony capitalism in "fiscal cliff bill"

uscitizen

May 6, 2007
My Shack
Senators? secret plan to give Amgen half a billion in fiscal cliff deal reveals Capitol Hill?s ?sordid swamp? | The Raw Story

Just a couple of days before the inaugural festivities, The New York Times published some superb investigative reporting by the team of Eric Lipton and Kevin Sack, and their revelations were hard to forget, even at a time of celebration.

The story told us of a pharmaceutical giant called Amgen and three senators so close to it they might as well be entries on its balance sheet: Republican Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (KY), Democratic Senator Max Baucus (MT), chair of the Senate Finance Committee, and that powerful committee’s ranking Republican, Orrin Hatch (UT). A trio of perpetrators who treat the United States Treasury as if it were a cash-and-carry annex of corporate America.

The Times story described how Amgen got a huge hidden gift from unnamed members of Congress and their staffers. They slipped an eleventh hour loophole into the New Year’s Eve deal that kept the government from going over the fiscal cliff. When the sun rose in the morning, there it was, a richly embroidered loophole for Amgen that will cost taxpayers a cool half a billion dollars.

Amgen is the world’s largest biotechnology firm, a drug maker that sells a variety of medications. The little clause secretly sneaked into the fiscal cliff bill gives the company two more years of relief from Medicare cost controls for certain drugs used by patients who are on kidney dialysis, including a pill called Sensipar, manufactured by Amgen.

And lo and behold, among those 74 Amgen lobbyists are the former chief of staff to Senator Baucus and the former chief of staff to Senator McConnell.

What is a "Criony"??? You realize these "topic titles" are the ONLY words MOST readers see?

What is a "Criony"??? You realize these "topic titles" are the ONLY words MOST readers see?

if you want to start a thread about typos why not just do that.

Well I am anal retentive and find it is the DETAILS that seem to catch most people and when you start a topic with a simple misspelled word one that can only be excused as laziness, sloppiness I don't really pay attention to the rest of your contribution since I now KNOW you don't care!
Simple perceptions like that seem to drive most people ... why else was Obama elected... you know he is half black by the way and wasn't THAT the ONLY reason YOU voted for him???

Cronyism isn't capitalism or the free market. Let's get our fiscal house in order and stop the politicians from treating the money and labor of the American people as their personal piggy bank. I am tired of working so a few politicians can live it up on my efforts and then waste, not only my money & time, but my children's money & time.

Every increase in taxes is more time we have to spend to take care of our needs to survive that we are taking away from doing real charitable work and spending time with our families.

Senators? secret plan to give Amgen half a billion in fiscal cliff deal reveals Capitol Hill?s ?sordid swamp? | The Raw Story

Just a couple of days before the inaugural festivities, The New York Times published some superb investigative reporting by the team of Eric Lipton and Kevin Sack, and their revelations were hard to forget, even at a time of celebration.

The story told us of a pharmaceutical giant called Amgen and three senators so close to it they might as well be entries on its balance sheet: Republican Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (KY), Democratic Senator Max Baucus (MT), chair of the Senate Finance Committee, and that powerful committee’s ranking Republican, Orrin Hatch (UT). A trio of perpetrators who treat the United States Treasury as if it were a cash-and-carry annex of corporate America.

The Times story described how Amgen got a huge hidden gift from unnamed members of Congress and their staffers. They slipped an eleventh hour loophole into the New Year’s Eve deal that kept the government from going over the fiscal cliff. When the sun rose in the morning, there it was, a richly embroidered loophole for Amgen that will cost taxpayers a cool half a billion dollars.

Amgen is the world’s largest biotechnology firm, a drug maker that sells a variety of medications. The little clause secretly sneaked into the fiscal cliff bill gives the company two more years of relief from Medicare cost controls for certain drugs used by patients who are on kidney dialysis, including a pill called Sensipar, manufactured by Amgen.

And lo and behold, among those 74 Amgen lobbyists are the former chief of staff to Senator Baucus and the former chief of staff to Senator McConnell.

But...but....it's the New York Times! "Everybody" knows it's just a liberal rag whose sole purpose is to support and defend liberals/progressives. It can't be trusted!

Well....at least it can't be trusted with what it reports about Republican's Mitch McConnell or Orrin Hatch. Of course, what is says about Democrat Max Baucus is absolutely true and, Gawd, ain't it awful?

Seriously, this is the kind of sleazy selling out which we all should abhor and seek to end, regardless of political affiliation.

Sadly, had you redacted the Republican names and only mentioned Baucus, the Nutter's would be all over this thread calling for his head and somehow linking it to Obama. Had you cut out his name and only mentioned the Repub's, it would result in the same thing from the left AND the right would be here blathering on about that liberal rag.

See? Our politician's aren't the problem. WE are. WE elect them, WE defend them when they're on "our" side and WE castigate them when they're not and then WE turn around and re-elect them ad infinitum and ad nauseum.

For all the republican protestations to the contrary, they have not been walking the walk since 2010 concerning less spending. Look at the pork in the latest bill for spending on the Hurricane Sandy victims, there's all sorts of BS in there that has nothing to do with the damage in the NE. Crony capitalism is alive and doing very well regardless of who's in the WH or who controls Congress. And it's not one side being any worse than the other, which is one damn good reason to support the Tea Parties. For all their lack of political acumen, they are the ONLY political action groups who are not trying to line their own pockets. Too bad they got infiltrated by the social cons who diffused the message of fiscal responsibility.

Well I am anal retentive and find it is the DETAILS that seem to catch most people and when you start a topic with a simple misspelled word one that can only be excused as laziness, sloppiness I don't really pay attention to the rest of your contribution since I now KNOW you don't care!
Simple perceptions like that seem to drive most people ... why else was Obama elected... you know he is half black by the way and wasn't THAT the ONLY reason YOU voted for him???

Please note: People sometimes mistype (yes, you do too) and there is no way to edit the title of a thread that I've found yet.

For all the republican protestations to the contrary, they have not been walking the walk since 2010 concerning less spending. Look at the pork in the latest bill for spending on the Hurricane Sandy victims, there's all sorts of BS in there that has nothing to do with the damage in the NE. Crony capitalism is alive and doing very well regardless of who's in the WH or who controls Congress. And it's not one side being any worse than the other, which is one damn good reason to support the Tea Parties. For all their lack of political acumen, they are the ONLY political action groups who are not trying to line their own pockets. Too bad they got infiltrated by the social cons who diffused the message of fiscal responsibility.

They didn't get infiltrated...they got taken over, lock, stock and barrel by the Neo-Con's. Very,very few elected representatives who carry the Tea Party label are actually members of the original grass roots movement. Most of them are pretenders and liars, backed up and supported by the same corporations the rest of their fellow bag men are.

Typo fixed in title. Instead of commenting/bickering over a typo, hit the report button so that we may fix it. People make mistakes. Thank you....

Take pride in your language for a change. It's not unreasonable to expect people to at least attempt to write properly. How do you expect people to communicate if they aren't following the rules that govern communication, such as spelling or grammar?

Please note: People sometimes mistype (yes, you do too) and there is no way to edit the title of a thread that I've found yet.

If it is a pro right wing thread a moderator will often correct the title misspelling.
Only moderators can correct the title spelling.

If it is a pro right wing thread a moderator will often correct the title misspelling.
Only moderators can correct the title spelling.

The moderators will correct thread title misspellings to anyone's thread if they are asked to.

Those politicians know how to get elected by choosing to accept the bribes .... then vote against campaign reform.

and still get reelected.

Forum List

Back