Cremation, or not?

Statistikhengst

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2013
deep within the statistical brain!!
I have now been to two funerals in the last 7 weeks where a loved one was cremated.

Both were very, very sad events.

In the case of the death of my brother-in-law, the memorial service (open casket) was on a Saturday; the ashes were given over to my sister on the Thursday following. In many ways, the Thursday was even harder for her.
We literally relived the funeral all over again on that Thursday.

In Germany, three weeks ago, I went to a funeral for someone whom I cared about deeply. She was also cremated, but before the memorial and immediately after the memorial service, the urn was placed in a sort of family crypt.

My experience from there two funerals is that in the case of cremation, when the remains are sent home, it is as if one goes through a funeral all over again. No real sense of closure.

But in the case of a funeral where the urn is buried, for instance, in a crypt, there is indeed closure.

These events have given me pause as to how I want to be buried when my time comes, hopefully, first in many years from now.

What are your thoughts about cremation? Closure, or no closure?

There are no political overtones at all in this OP and probably just as few religious overtones, just to note.

I want to be blown up. Don't know if I can figure out how to legally do it, but that's my desire.

In a few years they can drop them off when a space ship leaves the orbit,,and we can float for a while...

I want to be blown up. Don't know if I can figure out how to legally do it, but that's my desire.

You could go the Hunter S. Thompson route - have your ashes packed into fireworks and shot out of a cannon.

Yes, that is certainly an option. But truly I think it would be awesome to be set up on a 1000 pound pile of ANFO. BAWOOOM!

But now, sticking with the actual intent of the OP:

does Cremation provide a real sense of closure for those left behind, or not? Or does that depend on when the Cremation is done?

Of course it does. It's not how the body is disposed of that matters, it's how the celebration of life is done. If the celebration is inadequate, then no matter which method is used, there will be a sense of incompleteness.

I'll be dead, don't care.

But I will say this...

I kind of hope I get hit by a bus in my 70s. This way my friends can all say, "I once knew this guy who got hit by a bus..."

I'll be dead, don't care.

But I will say this...

I kind of hope I get hit by a bus in my 70s. This way my friends can all say, "I once knew this guy who got hit by a bus..."

You may not care, and I respect that. But what about those whom you leave behind?

I don't know, honestly. My wife wants to be cremated. My father was, last I saw his ashes they were sitting on the wet bar at his house... His memorial service was sans body. My closure came just fine...

I guess, since I don't care, I'll leave it up to those I leave behind...

Forum List

Back