Crazy MA Anti-Gun Legislation, Did it pass or fail?

How about their right to fly? Why should they be able to check me and my bags when I fly if I am not even accused of a crime?

No one has a "right to fly".
But if you want to challenge the gov't for putting people on an arbitrary list go right ahead.

I notice you avoided answering the question.

People need to travel, very few people need a gun, period. You avoided my question on why I should be scrutinized when I have not even been accused of a crime.

Because you look and smell funny. That's why! No one needs to travel and no one needs a firearm...till they are in desperate need of one. Then it's too late.

Really?:lol::lol::lol: These guys had ARTILLERY! Oh and they were and are based in massachusetts...Civilians banding together to form a military company for their common defence. they weren't militarized til 1888 or there abouts. Till then they were a CIVILIAN MILITIA UNIT!

Chartered in 1638-The First Military Company Chartered in the Western Hemisphere

As the settlements, which followed the landing at Plymouth increased and spread, there was no organized military force for protection. There were only local volunteer companies and there was no join action or centralized authority. Many of the settlers of Boston had been members in England, of the Honourable Artillery Company of London (organized and chartered in 1537) and it was natural that the military training they had received in that Company should lead them to form a similar organization in the new country. In 1637 the Company was formed for instruction in discipline and tactics. Governor Winthrop granted a Charter in March 1638, and on the first Monday in June following, an election of Officers was held on Boston Common. Since that time, the Company has maintained the tradition of holding their annual elections on the Boston Common on the first Monday in June by casting their votes on the Drum Head.

Since 1746, the Headquarters of the Ancient's had been located in Faneuil Hall - an historic citadel known to all Americans.

In its Armory, the Company maintains a Military Museum and Library, which is without equal in the United States. Here are relics of every war in which this Country has been engaged, since its settlement. The Armory is open to the public daily, and many thousands of visitors from every part of the world register every year in the Guest Book.

The members of the Company trod the fields of every battlefield of New England; they fought for freedom on foreign soil; they judged the courts; they pleaded at the bar; they instituted town government and leveled forests; and they were active in settling the towns of the frontier.

Ancient and Honourable Artillery Company members served on every battlefield from Bunker Hill to Yorktown, the War of 1812 and the Civil War, both World Wars, Korea, Vietnam and Desert Storm.

This is the Company that Washington knew, that Franklin saw march through the streets of Boston, that John Adams and John Quincy Adams visited; that has had eight members who received our nation's highest military decoration - the Medal of Honor - and has had four of its members serve in the worlds' most important office, President of the United States; President James Monroe, Chester Alan Arthur, Calvin Coolidge and John F. Kennedy; the same Company which has always stood for, and always will stand for, the best in citizenship.

More historical information is available on the following pages:

Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company of Massachusetts an organization of distinction :: AHA.
And their artillery was muzzle loaded and fired a single shot. It wasn't mass produced, but hand crafted. And yes, those guns belong in well regulated militias. Guns that can fire a fusillade of bullets, can be hidden in clothing and concealed to law enforcement should similarly belong in well regulated militias, not on the streets.

And their artillery would knock a house down. And the founding fathers had ample experience of that. And they felt it was appropriate to the defence of the nation for CIVILIANS to have artillery. The biggest baddest weaponry of the era.

It doesn't matter. It's like saying the Internet ought not to be subject to the 1A because the Founders couldn't foresee computers. It's bullshit.

Okay, first thing.... You should have GOAL's website Gun Owners' Action League - GOAL.org - "Protecting Your Freedom Begins Here" bookmarked on your PC if you're a Massachusetts Gun Owner. It's the only truly reasonable place to find information. I didn't see anything on these bills in their weekly update last Friday. I can't access the website at work, but there's a link on the frontpage of their site to pending National and Massachusetts gun-related legislation that should give you all the info you need.

Senate Bill 1202, sponsored by state Senator Cynthia Stone Creem (D-Newton), would make it a crime to purchase or sell to the same person more than one firearm or “large capacity weapon” in a thirty-day period. The punishment for a first offense in violation of such gun rationing for both the retailer and the purchaser would be up to a $5,000 fine and/or two-and-a-half years imprisonment.

That one's been suggested before and been shot down. Not a real big concern with that one.

Senate Bill 1234, sponsored by state Senator James Timilty (D-Walpole), would make it unlawful to manufacture, sell or possess a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constructed entirely from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium; or a full jacketed projectile larger than .22 caliber designed and intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25 percent of the total weight of the projectile.

This one is really mostly worthless just on its face. Very little Total Copper Jacketed ammo has a jacket whose weight is more than 25% of the bullet weight. As for the cores.... not something I'm all that familiar with except that it would make Wolf Ammunition from Russia illegal (steel core).

House Bill 665, sponsored by state Representative Timothy J. Toomey, Jr. (D-Cambridge), would require all concealed carry applicants to present a complete list of every handgun owned along with a certificate of insurance verifying that the applicant has a valid insurance policy insuring against any harm or damage that might arise out of the use of each firearm on said list. The insurance policy would need to be in the amount of at least $250,000.

This one is worrying. Currently we don't have to list anything (though the State should already have a list, since they are supposed to be keeping copies of all purchase paperwork). It's the Insurance part that is most worrysome. Many insurance companies won't even sell homeowner's policies to gun owners. $250K for EACH GUN? That's insane. Of course most of us would simply ignore that requirement.

House Bill 1561, sponsored by state Representative David Paul Linsky (D-Natick), would require all firearms of new manufacture to bear serial numbers permanently inscribed on a visible metal area with the serial numbers being kept on record by the manufacturer. In addition, all semi-automatic firearms would be required to micro-stamp ammunition by mechanically stamping a code that would imprint the make, model and serial number onto the cartridge case when the gun discharged.

Not possible. Of course even if it was, there would be very simple ways around it. All that would do is limit the number of manufacturers who would be able to sell guns in MA; which would simply mean we'd have to buy our firearms elsewhere and just not tell the Communistwealth about them when we brought them into the state.

thanks

This one is really mostly worthless just on its face. Very little Total Copper Jacketed ammo has a jacket whose weight is more than 25% of the bullet weight. As for the cores.... not something I'm all that familiar with except that it would make Wolf Ammunition from Russia illegal (steel core).

Wolf Ammo is steel-cased, not steel core. Steel core ammo has been illegal to sell here for some time already.

yea steel core is already illegal i believe. It can pierce body armor.

What would the Founding Fathers do? In their day, every gun fired a single shot, was muzzle loaded and hand crafted. Maybe it's time to go back to the Founding Father's ideas when they wrote the second amendment. Because if they ever saw an AK-47 or an Uzi ravish a dwelling during a drive by shooting, I'm pretty certain they would have re-thought gun control.

maybe every law and Amendment that was not written by a quill on parchment should be made vold because the founders never thought we would use anything else

Gun Control.... I have mixed emotions about it. First off... I don't think anyone needs an AK or an M14. Those are military class weapons and I am fine with regulation(not bans) on those types of weapons.

Handguns... I am a little more liberal with. I think that anyone has the right to defend themselves. I don't agree with the 30 round clips that were used in the Gabby Gifford shooting... that goes way beyond self defense. Furthermore... handguns are a poor tool for home defense. Unless you are a skilled shooter and a pretty cool customer, you are more likely to miss... which in one sense is probably OK as it will scare the piss out of most would be home invaders. On the other hand, if you meet up with a true scumbag... you are more than likely going to pay for your shitty shooting.

The best home defense tool is a shotgun. It's a "point and shoot" device. A good compromise between the two is a Taurus Judge. Which can shoot .410 shotgun shells and/or .45 Colt rounds. But if you have any experience with the .410... it would be a close range option only.

Anyway... the point is that there is no real reason for people to go Rambo with their arsenals. Anything you can buy in a department store is plenty of firepower. Because, let's face it... If you were ever to go against the military... you are fucked.... so that's really a non-issue. Even if you owned an AK with the firing pin fixed to allow full auto.... you're still fucked.

You're welcome. As a fellow MA gun owner, we have to stick together. You REALLY need to get hooked up with GOAL (Gun Owner's Action League). They are really the one group that has its fingers on the pulse of what's happening on Capital Hill AND Beacon Hill. Most if not all of the legislation you mentioned is listed on their website on the Legislation Chart.

Gun Control.... I have mixed emotions about it. First off... I don't think anyone needs an AK or an M14. Those are military class weapons and I am fine with regulation(not bans) on those types of weapons.

Handguns... I am a little more liberal with. I think that anyone has the right to defend themselves. I don't agree with the 30 round clips that were used in the Gabby Gifford shooting... that goes way beyond self defense. Furthermore... handguns are a poor tool for home defense. Unless you are a skilled shooter and a pretty cool customer, you are more likely to miss... which in one sense is probably OK as it will scare the piss out of most would be home invaders. On the other hand, if you meet up with a true scumbag... you are more than likely going to pay for your shitty shooting.

The best home defense tool is a shotgun. It's a "point and shoot" device. A good compromise between the two is a Taurus Judge. Which can shoot .410 shotgun shells and/or .45 Colt rounds. But if you have any experience with the .410... it would be a close range option only.

Anyway... the point is that there is no real reason for people to go Rambo with their arsenals. Anything you can buy in a department store is plenty of firepower. Because, let's face it... If you were ever to go against the military... you are fucked.... so that's really a non-issue. Even if you owned an AK with the firing pin fixed to allow full auto.... you're still fucked.

What weapons do you think the superme court ruled were protected by thge second amendment?

Lewis v. United States, 445 U.S. 95 (1980). Lewis recognized -- in summarizing the holding of Miller, supra, as "the Second Amendment guarantees no right to keep and bear a firearm that does not have 'some reasonable relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well-regulated militia'" (emphasis added)
LEWIS V. UNITED STATES, 445 U. S. 55 :: Volume 445 :: 1980 :: US Supreme Court Cases from Justia & Oyez

The very weapons you think people shouldn't have.

What weapons do you think the superme court ruled were protected by thge second amendment?

Lewis v. United States, 445 U.S. 95 (1980). Lewis recognized -- in summarizing the holding of Miller, supra, as "the Second Amendment guarantees no right to keep and bear a firearm that does not have 'some reasonable relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well-regulated militia'" (emphasis added)
LEWIS V. UNITED STATES, 445 U. S. 55 :: Volume 445 :: 1980 :: US Supreme Court Cases from Justia & Oyez

The very weapons you think people shouldn't have.

Who said I think that? oh... that's right... you.

maybe every law and Amendment that was not written by a quill on parchment should be made vold because the founders never thought we would use anything else

True – like the right to privacy.

Handguns:

As the quotations earlier in this opinion demonstrate, the inherent right of self-defense has been central to the Second Amendment right. The handgun ban amounts to a prohibition of an entire class of “arms” that is overwhelmingly chosen by American society for that lawful purpose. The prohibition extends, moreover, to the home, where the need for defense of self, family, and property is most acute. Under any of the standards of scrutiny that we have applied to enumerated constitutional rights,27 banning from the home “the most preferred firearm in the nation to ‘keep’ and use for protection of one’s home and family,” 478 F. 3d, at 400, would fail constitutional muster.

District of Columbia v Heller
(2008)

Remember also the Second Amendment protects the right to self defense, where the handgun is the preferred means to realize that end.

With this kind of thinking you shouldn't be able to buy more car than you need, have more house than you need or make more money than you need. We don't live in a country where the government decides what you need. You should be able to decide what you need and as long as you use it legally it's nobody's business but your own.

With this kind of thinking you shouldn't be able to buy more car than you need, have more house than you need or make more money than you need. We don't live in a country where the government decides what you need. You should be able to decide what you need and as long as you use it legally it's nobody's business but your own.

Typical rhetoric... I admit a conflict of emotions on an issue and you choose to make it a left/right thing. Hope you're proud. I'm a country boy... I have weapons. I don't even lock my doors at night or when I go to work. Don't need to. I even have my late father's WWII Walther P38.

Don't sit there and make me out to be liberal on this subject. I am firmly in the middle and leaning right. so go fuck yourself.

Typical rhetoric... I admit a conflict of emotions on an issue and you choose to make it a left/right thing. Hope you're proud. I'm a country boy... I have weapons. I don't even lock my doors at night or when I go to work. Don't need to. I even have my late father's WWII Walther P38.

Don't sit there and make me out to be liberal on this subject. I am firmly in the middle and leaning right. so go fuck yourself.

I'm not trying to make you out to be anything. We now have a government that thinks it can tell people when they've made enough money, should pay a higher percentage of income in taxes because they happen to be successful, and trying to demonize anyone that has accumulated some wealth. Guns are my hobby. I collect some of the old military rifles. The first time I fired an assault weapon was the m16 in the A.F. and just loved it. The M60 and M79grenade launcher also. I don't think any weapons should be banned. Only the illegal use of those weapons should be banned. Law abiding Americans should be able to own any firearms they want as long as they are used legally

I'm not trying to make you out to be anything. We now have a government that thinks it can tell people when they've made enough money, should pay a higher percentage of income in taxes because they happen to be successful, and trying to demonize anyone that has accumulated some wealth. Guns are my hobby. I collect some of the old military rifles. The first time I fired an assault weapon was the m16 in the A.F. and just loved it. The M60 and M79grenade launcher also. I don't think any weapons should be banned. Only the illegal use of those weapons should be banned. Law abiding Americans should be able to own any firearms they want as long as they are used legally

Let me tell you something Slick... when the rest of the country is SUFFERING because of it... yeah... I think it's fair to say when "enough is enough". That's what your side DOESN'T get... when IS enough enough? I am of the opinion that when profits cause suffering with the vast majority of the people, and the wealthy are raking in money like never before?... then the rich have OVERSTEPPED their bounds.

But that has NOTHING to do with Gun Control, does it? Here's MY take on Gun Control... anything that is a CURRENTLY or recently used Military weapon... should be REGULATED... NOT BANNED, but regulated. Perhaps a special Collector's license.... is my line of thinking... not that you can't own them... but you need a special license with increased criteria than a regular firearm.

But yeah.. I know.. .for some of you... it's the same thing as a ban... for the rest of us? it's more a matter of a realistic view of our society.

And their artillery was muzzle loaded and fired a single shot. It wasn't mass produced, but hand crafted. And yes, those guns belong in well regulated militias. Guns that can fire a fusillade of bullets, can be hidden in clothing and concealed to law enforcement should similarly belong in well regulated militias, not on the streets.

And their artillery would knock a house down. And the founding fathers had ample experience of that. And they felt it was appropriate to the defence of the nation for CIVILIANS to have artillery. The biggest baddest weaponry of the era.

It doesn't matter. It's like saying the Internet ought not to be subject to the 1A because the Founders couldn't foresee computers. It's bullshit.

Of course it is but it's all they have. They don't care about rights of the individual, they only care about their collectivist nirvana and they'll kill anyone who stands in their way....as soon as they can get those damn guns away from them!

Of course it is but it's all they have. They don't care about rights of the individual, they only care about their collectivist nirvana and they'll kill anyone who stands in their way....as soon as they can get those damn guns away from them!

So what you are saying is that Ordinary Citizens ought to have access to Nuclear weapons.

Let me tell you something Slick... when the rest of the country is SUFFERING because of it... yeah... I think it's fair to say when "enough is enough". That's what your side DOESN'T get... when IS enough enough? I am of the opinion that when profits cause suffering with the vast majority of the people, and the wealthy are raking in money like never before?... then the rich have OVERSTEPPED their bounds.

But that has NOTHING to do with Gun Control, does it? Here's MY take on Gun Control... anything that is a CURRENTLY or recently used Military weapon... should be REGULATED... NOT BANNED, but regulated. Perhaps a special Collector's license.... is my line of thinking... not that you can't own them... but you need a special license with increased criteria than a regular firearm.

But yeah.. I know.. .for some of you... it's the same thing as a ban... for the rest of us? it's more a matter of a realistic view of our society.

Yah I know it's all the fault of the evil rich. We all need something to blame failure on and this administration has named the EVIL RICH as the cause of everyone's problems. I'm sure not rich but I've had a successful career and I'll take credit for that and not blame the evil rich for not giving me more. As for guns regulate, regulate, regulate That's all the government is good for anymore. How about enforce our laws and if we need to execute anyone that uses a gun in a crime, do it but leave the law abiding Americans alone. Just give us our God given rights as guaranteed by the Constitution.

Yah I know it's all the fault of the evil rich. We all need something to blame failure on and this administration has named the EVIL RICH as the cause of everyone's problems. I'm sure not rich but I've had a successful career and I'll take credit for that and not blame the evil rich for not giving me more. As for guns regulate, regulate, regulate That's all the government is good for anymore. How about enforce our laws and if we need to execute anyone that uses a gun in a crime, do it but leave the law abiding Americans alone. Just give us our God given rights as guaranteed by the Constitution.

I have a successful career also. But because I am a public employee who takes care of the mentally infirm... I'm no better than a welfare recipient in your book.. right? I've busted my ass for the Commonwealth of PA for 22 years.

Yeah.. regulate. Do you have something to hide? If you do... then perhaps you shouldn't have access to powerful weaponry.

Forum List

Back