coyotes..any advice on living with them?

thanks...i will keep my cats up as much as possible..they like to go outside...

beaver...the dogs are 100 lbs and 75 lbs (jake is on a diet)

I lived on a farm for years, and the pack that lived around there started hunting right about twighlight, so it probably a totally easy and simple solution to not let the kitties out at night. But, that's just my experience. Maybe some areas, the mutts have gotten adapted to hunting in broad daylight.

I am LMAO at all the he-men GI joes who's advice to you is "shoot them all!"...:lol:....yeah, I can just see you sitting on your porch at midnight, on coyote patrol, waiting around to shoot them. :lol: That's not a realistic solution for a private citizen. Coyote eradication is something the local and state officials have to work out. It takes no effort at all to simply manage when the kitties are outdoors.

Last edited:
thanks...i will keep my cats up as much as possible..they like to go outside...

beaver...the dogs are 100 lbs and 75 lbs (jake is on a diet)

I lived on a farm for years, and the pack that lived around there started hunting right about twighlight, so it probably a totally easy and simple solution to not let the kitties out at night. But, that's just my experience. Maybe some areas, the mutts have gotten adapted to hunting in broad daylight.

I am LMAO at all the he-men GI joes who's advice to you is "shoot them all!"...:lol:....yeah, I can just see you sitting on your porch at midnight, on coyote patrol, waiting around to shoot them. :lol: That's not a realistic solution for a private citizen. Coyote eradication is something the local and state officials have to work out. It takes no effort at all to simply manage when the kitties are outdoors.
You are such an ass! I bet you don't even know one end of a gun from the other thats why you feel the NEED to belittle anyone who takes care of their own.

Typical liberal pussy wanting the government by way of "local and state officals" to take care of your problems.... You don't need to eradicate them you just need to nudge them away from your property and if that means killing a couple of them then that is what needs to happen.

You go ahead and laugh and keep the "kitties' in the house but when the coyotes start to get desperate (hungry) and attack a child or elderly person unable to defend themselvs we will see who the "he-man, GI Joe, tough guy" is...

Ohh by the way MOST states erradicate the vermin by using PRIVATE CITIZENS by way of listing the animals as a nuisance or offering a bounty for each hide, and yes some states still do this.......

All you can really do is shoot them. Most places at least around here don't require a permit to hunt them because they are pests.

I hate to shoot coyotes. I love dogs and I hate killing an animal that isn't going in the freezer. But I do shoot them when they start making their presence known...it's the only thing they understand. They are very quick learners and after two or three are put down, the pack will avoid that area.

MM's paintball idea might work but I personally wouldn't get that close to one without being armed...and if I'm armed why bother with a paintball gun.

If you're squeamish about killing a canine, you could try 12 or 20 gauge shotgun shells loaded with rock salt instead of shot.

Also keep a large pepper spray (like Dog the bounty hunter uses) sprayer near the door. If coyotes attack your pets, you can't just start shooting for fear of killing your animal. Canines are extremely sensitive to pepper...it will stop them in their tracks.

get yourself a roadrunner.

and a bunch of ACME dynamite.

:lol: :lol:

That could get expensive...maybe we could pitch in an get Bones one of these:

Acme-gift-card.jpg

we have coyotes here in the nc mountains..they were introduced. great move. now they are killing pets. any advice on how to live with coyotes and keep your small pets...i have cats.. i normally will not allow the cats out without the dogs...i dont leave dog food or cat food out but i do have bird feeders.

any advice is much appreicated...by clark and roland who are not coyote bait.

Believe it or not, we've had the problem in NYC!

"Police officials had warned people that the biggest danger the coyote posed was to pets. Adrian Benepe, the city's parks commissioner, first caught a glimpse of the animal on Tuesday, in the Hallett sanctuary.

After it was captured, Mr. Benepe told reporters that the coyote may have made its way to Central Park from Westchester County via an Amtrak train bridge over the Harlem River."
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/22/nyregion/22cnd-coyote.html

we have coyotes here in the nc mountains..they were introduced. great move. now they are killing pets. any advice on how to live with coyotes and keep your small pets...i have cats.. i normally will not allow the cats out without the dogs...i dont leave dog food or cat food out but i do have bird feeders.

any advice is much appreicated...by clark and roland who are not coyote bait.
My parents live in a suberb surrounded my a rural area so they get coyotes even now with the area being more populated. I had a few cats killed when I was little living out there especially in the winter months. They now make sure the cat is inside at night plus most people around here have fences. I think what you are doing is about all you can do unless it is legal for you to trap them which I doubt.

I've seen coyotes that were neither small, nor were they easily frightened off. In fact, you couldn't frighten them at all, and they were hanging around the back door of my house.

Also, I've seen dogs who will bark at ANYTHING pretend they didn't notice the three coyotes patrolling the yard. Dogs will and do ignore coyotes.

Keep cats in, day and night. Coyotes hunt during both, and will change their hunting habits to accomodate the prey.

Don't put out bird food or any other food, it will attract them. They'll eat bird food, they'll eat the animals that eat bird food. They'll eat cat and dog food.

Paint balls might work if you're really committed to hitting every coyote in the area, and maintaining a vigilant watch to catch any interlopers. Otherwise, though it's fun and a good way to reduce traffic, it's not going to eliminate it.

I've lived with coyotes all my life, and that's what it is...living with coyotes. You can't pretend they aren't there, because there's no missing them. They will eat your cats and sometimes your dogs and other animals.

Llamas, donkeys and Great Pyrenees will chase them off. And that's about it.

OH. The four-legged kind.

Although, some of the above posts would apply to the other.

Lived around cayotes all my life. Never seen one get aggressive with a human. Standard rule is that if you see them easily, they are getting too populous.

Biggest danger to my cousins livestock has always been peoples dogs and hunting season. I have watched a cayote pack take down an adult deer in a starvation winter. Most cayotes weigh about 15 lbs, and will not attack a large animal except in a survival situation.

In some areas in eastern oregon, they succeeded in significantly reducing the number of cayotes. And immediatly had a major rodent problem. They were very happy to get the cayotes back up to speed after a couple of years of that.

The cayote is an intelligent and very successful, adaptable dinizen of the West. I love to hear them at night, and have no fear of them at all. They are a danger to sheep, and will take a calf in calving season if the cow cannot protect the calf. As for the cats, domestic cats are the primary killers of songbirds. If they are out all the time, then the cayotes are providing a service.

"coyotes..any advice on living with them?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->"

If you truly want to live with them, you must place a rabbit at the feet of the alpha male while bowing down to him. If it was killed correctly and if the blood is still warm, you will be accepted into their pack forever.

But there is one important thing to remember: CEASE MENSTRUATION. They can't stand it. I'd recommend going on a birth control pill...or, alternatively, consider a hysterectomy.

Forum List

Back