Anyone fishing for trout yet?

slackjawed

Self deported
Sep 27, 2008
15th congressional district of Arizona
I am an avid trout fisherman and am curious to here about trout fishing around the world.
The ice has melted off off the lakes at the lower elevations in the White Mountains of Arizona and the trout are hungry! Yesterday I caught two on a bare hook that I dipped in salmon egg juice, thats how hungry they are.
How is the trout fishing in your area?
TROUT-IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER......(at least at my house)

I used to fish.

I have a trout stream with native trout in my back yard and I'm too lazy to take it up again.

I'm saving that resource for the famines to come, I guess.

How about fresh crappie or bass ?

April4fishing013.jpg

The lakes arounf here are all frozen over, most of the ice isn't thick enough yet to ice fish.
When the ice gets thick enough, I enjoy taking a auger up to one of our lakes and cutting a hole to fish for trout and grayling. next month maybe, I hope anyway.
Fish on.........

Went back to the headwaters of the John Day river where I grew up. It had been over 30 years since I had fished there. The river, really just a medium sized creek at that point, was some changed since I was last there.

My wife had not seen the river, or done that much fishing, so she was not at all sure of that 'little' creek producing fish. So she decided to time me. I flipped the hook with a night crawler on it upstream, meaning for it to swing by the rocks downstream. A trout took it immediatly, and ran directly at me after I hooked it. As it when by me, I flipped it out at my wife's feet. She looked at her watch, and then said, "35 seconds. That's ridiculous". A nice 14" cutthroat. In the next hour, I caught a 12" cutthroat, a 15", 16", and 18" Dolly Varden, or bull troat. Had to throw them back.

It was welcome home. Right now, as the market improves, I am preparing to sell my property in Portland, Oregon, and buy somewhere in Eastern Oregon. Hopefully, in the John Day Valley. Working as as a millwright at 66 in a steel mill is pushing it a bit.

And I will definately be doing a lot of fishing on the river. And in many of the high mountain lakes.

Went back to the headwaters of the John Day river where I grew up. It had been over 30 years since I had fished there. The river, really just a medium sized creek at that point, was some changed since I was last there.

My wife had not seen the river, or done that much fishing, so she was not at all sure of that 'little' creek producing fish. So she decided to time me. I flipped the hook with a night crawler on it upstream, meaning for it to swing by the rocks downstream. A trout took it immediatly, and ran directly at me after I hooked it. As it when by me, I flipped it out at my wife's feet. She looked at her watch, and then said, "35 seconds. That's ridiculous". A nice 14" cutthroat. In the next hour, I caught a 12" cutthroat, a 15", 16", and 18" Dolly Varden, or bull troat. Had to throw them back.

It was welcome home. Right now, as the market improves, I am preparing to sell my property in Portland, Oregon, and buy somewhere in Eastern Oregon. Hopefully, in the John Day Valley. Working as as a millwright at 66 in a steel mill is pushing it a bit.

And I will definately be doing a lot of fishing on the river. And in many of the high mountain lakes.

I lived in beaverton before it got out of hand. Back about 78.
Loved it out there. My fav hike was the eagle creek trail, up in the gorge at Bonneville dam on the oregon side. Very nice hike up Eagle creek.

I also climed Mt. St Helens before it blew. My droppings up there are now spread around the world. Everyone has eaten my crap :)

And those woods above St. Helens were wonderful. What was that the Gifford Pinchot Forest?

Ecola beach state park...
And hikiing/camping up in the 3 Sisters area and over around Bend.

Man I miss all that. Wish I could still do it.

How about fresh crappie or bass ?

April4fishing013.jpg

:lol: I use to do a lot of off shore fishing down in the Golf, for Bass, Catfish and other types, when i lived in Louisiana. I am heading back home to Louisiana this year sometime in June or July, and fish some more. I stay away from Talapia, it tastes too much like mud,:lol: but i love my Channel Cats, and FlatBill Catfish.YUMMY!!! A cajun delight!!!!;)

Looking forward to the season this year.
Just give me a trout stream and leave me the fuck alone for the rest of the day and I'll be a new person.

The season is open all year here in Arizona. However; all the lakes and streams above about 6000 feet are frozen over right now. While i enjoy ice fishing for brookies it is an ordeal to do so as the only lakes that have thick enough ice to support a man's weight are above 8000 feet and the snow is about 6 feet deep up there, with som drifts up to 20 ft. It's tough access even on a snowmobile.
Now let's see how many come on and tell me that Arizona is all desert and it doesn't get cold here. Right now, at an elevation of 7200 feet, it has warmed to 18 degrees, it hit 5 above here last night.

There are 31 days and 3 1/2 hours until the start of trout season here in the Ocean State. Soon to be followed by huge schools of stripped bass swimming up Narragansett Bay.

I'm ready to hitch the boat but it is still too cold for me. A few more weeks and I'm ready to catch ANYTHING....well no more baby sharks or eels please.

Forum List

Back