Courts in Florida knock down "Terry's Law"..

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by krisy, Sep 23, 2004.

1. krisy

krisy Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +112
    http://start.earthlink.net/newsarticle?cat=0&aid=923044533_breakingnews_story

I was just reading this article about Terry Schaivo and feeling so bad for her. I don't understand the drive behind her husband being so insistent when he has moved on with his life. Her parents have said they would pay for everything. I once heard her parents on t.v. saying there was some money in it for him somehow. I do not believe you can go on just the word of her husband that she wants the plug pulled. No one knows that for sure.

2. Merlin1047

Merlin1047 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +450

I see two possibilities. If Terry Schaivo had expressed a desire not to be kept alive in a vegetative state, then her husband is doing the right thing. Neither my wife nor I want to be kept alive in such a manner. If she were injured and became practically brain dead, I would feel duty bound to make sure her wishes were respected. I can only imagine what a terrible responsibility that must be.

The other possibility is that Terry Schaivo's husband caused her injury and wants her dead for fear that she may recover and incriminate him. In which case I hope he rots in hell.

3. krisy

krisy Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +112

I agree,it's just that I don't know that I believe what she is in is a vegetative state. Her eyes follow things,she smiles. i think something is going on in her brain. How does anyone know for sure that she isn't understanding what is said to her. I also think starving someone to death should be agaonst the law no matter what. Apparently Florida court doesn't think so. It disgustsme,the thought of her starving to death.

4. acludem

acludem VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69
    The Florida court didn't rule on the merits of the case, they ruled that the law violated the separation of powers as outlined in the Florida Constitution.

The legislature essentially appointed Jeb Bush as God and the court had a slight problem with that.

acludem

5. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,153
    Yeah the court tends to have problems with that. Besides Moveon.org has already established the President is God because he is causing the hurricanes that are hitting Florida. Glad im not them though i wouldnt want to commit Blasphemy.

6. Gem

Gem BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +782
    I actually agree with ACLUDem on this one. Bush overstepped his boundries and interfered with proper protocols in the checks and balances of gov't power by getting involved in this. He did so because it was a "big media" item and he thought he would score some points.

As someone familiar with severe and profound disabilities, I can say with complete confidence that while Terry Schiavo's actions (the smiling, etc) might indicate some brain function...they could just as easily be unconscious reactions to slight stimulus, not a conscious reaction as her parents and family are claiming.

If her husband is telling the truth, than he is fighting for this because it was what his wife wanted. Ask yourself, if your spouse or a loved one said to you..."This is very serious to me. I do not want to live like that. Please do not let me live like that." Wouldn't you do everything in your power to help them?

The idea that he can just "hand her over" to her parents would be shirking the promise he claims he made to her...

This is a troubling case, both sides have good points...but, as ACLU said...Jeb Bush should not have been involved in the ways in which he was.

7. Merlin1047

Merlin1047 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +450
    You are incorrect in your assessment of the motivation for Gov Bush's actions. He stepped in not because it was a media event, but because the life of a human being hung in the balance. Without his intervention, feeding tubes would have been removed and Terry Schaivo would have begun the process of starving to death. What a barbaric way to kill someone. And make no mistake about it, that is exactly what the hospital and her husband proposed. I don't know if you are sincere in your opinion or if you're just another blind liberal using this poor woman's situation as a means of slamming a conservative. I'm not making an accusation, let's just say that I'm a bit suspicious, given the recent behavior of many libs.

Terry Schaivo cannot feed herself. Otherwise her body functions normally, with the obvious exception of her brain. You yourself admitted in your post that her reactions could be conscious. Will you kill this woman based on your GUESS that her reactions are simply autonomic?

The opinion you expressed in your post ignores two very basic tenets;

One - you should consider very carefully before agreeing with ACLUDEM on anything. His viewpoint tends to be extremely narrow and focused on legalistic nitpicking. He also appears to base most of his opinions on ultra liberal philosophies. I believe that his criticism of Jeb Bush is based more on the fact that Bush is a conservative Republican rather than any point of law. Finally, in true ACLU fashion, he tends to ignore the elements of morality and justice in this case and focuses instead on petty legalities.

Two - this case demonstrates once again the importance of having a valid living will. Had Terry Schaivo executed such a document, I believe that even her parents would acquiesce to her expressed wishes.

Finally, I want to pose a question to everyone. We decry euthanasia as immoral and unethical. If a doctor were to give Terry Schaivo a shot that would stop her heart, that doctor would go to prison. Yet we will allow a feeding tube to be removed and watch while it takes days or weeks for starvation and dehydration to cause a person to deteriorate and die. Starvation is perhaps one of the cruelest ways to die, yet that is acceptable and euthanasia is not. Why?

8. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    My short answer to that would be "because people want to believe in miracles".

9. Merlin1047

Merlin1047 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Okay, I can accept that. But when the decision has been made to remove a feeding tube, that is saying that this person cannot recover. So why force that individual to undergo a brutal and totally inhumane dying process?

10. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    No one wants to accept responsibilty for actually killing her?