Court Rules Obama ‘Recess’ Appointments Unconstitutional!

Wehrwolfen

May 22, 2012
Court Rules Obama ‘Recess’ Appointments Unconstitutional!​

By: Curt

obama-tearing-up-constitution.jpg

A federal appeals court has ruled that the recess appointments made by Obama to the National Labor Relations Board last January violated the Constitution. Why? Because there was no recess:

The [National Labor Relatinons] Board conceded at oral argument that the appointments at issue were not made during the intersession recess: the President made his three appointments to the Board on January 4, 2012, after Congress began a new session on January 3 and while that new session continued. Considering the text, history, and structure of the Constitution, these appointments were invalid from their inception. Because the Board lacked a quorum of three members when it issued its decision in this case on February 8, 2012, its decision must be vacated.​

The court basically took a much more narrow view of “recess” which undercuts many appointments made by Presidents. It’s a huge change but well reasoned:

A third alternative interpretation of “the Recess” is that it means any adjournment of more than three days pursuant to the Adjournments Clause. See U.S. Const. art. I, AS: 5, cl. 4 (“Neither House, during the Session of Congress, shall, without the Consent of the other, adjourn for more than three days . . . .”). This interpretation lacks any constitutional basis. The Framers did not use the word “adjournment” in the Recess Appointments Clause. Instead, they used “the Recess.”​

…In short, we hold that “the Recess” is limited to intersession recesses.​

and:

Although our holding on the first constitutional argument of the petitioner is sufficient to compel a decision vacating the Board’s order, as we suggested above, we also agree that the petitioner is correct in its understanding of the meaning of the word “happen” in the Recess Appointments Clause. The Clause permits only the filling up of “Vacancies that may happen during the Recess of the Senate.” U.S. Const. art. II, Sec. 2, cl. 3. Our decision on this issue depends on the meaning of the constitutional language “that may happen during the Recess.” The company contends that “happen” means “arise” or “begin” or “come into being.” The Board, on the other hand, contends that the President may fill up any vacancies that “happen to exist” during “the Recess.” It is our firm conviction that the appointments did not occur during “the Recess.” We proceed now to determine whether the appointments are also invalid as the vacancies did not “happen” during “the Recess.” …

Our understanding of the plain meaning of the Recess Appointments Clause as requiring that a qualifying vacancy must have come to pass or arisen “during the Recess” is consistent with the apparent meaning of the Senate Vacancies Clause. The interpretation proffered by the Board is not. …

In light of the extensive evidence that the original public meaning of “happen” was “arise,” we hold that the President may only make recess appointments to fill vacancies that arise during the recess.​

And now it will go to the Supreme Court:

[Excerpt]

Read more:
Court Rules Obama ?Recess? Appointments Unconstitutional! | Flopping Aces

Last edited:
Saw this on the news too. The response from the admin was the court is wrong. This could reverse tons of NLRB rulings. I hope the supremes get it right.

That seems like a well-reasoned ruling. I think the Court is correct.

However, their ruling on what constitutes "THE recess" is almost directly opposed to a ruling made by the 11th Circuit in a different case. That sets up a conflict on similar issues between two Circuit courts and the Supreme Court has historically intervened in things like that to settle the disagreement. And, since this is truly a Constitutional issue, I don't see how or why the Supreme Court would decline to hear it.

My guess is that the Supreme Court will accept a challenge to this ruling and that they'll ultimately come down on the side of this Circuit Court.

In this case, I think the President got some bad legal advice.

Caveat: IF the SC rules in favor of this Court's interpretation of the recess appointment clause, that too may upset the balance of power because the Senate may simply never enter into The Recess, thereby permanently denying the President his Constitutional power of recess appointments. Without that power, a recalcitrant Senate, or one in the hands of the opposition party, could literally bring the government to grinding halt by refusing to confirm ANY of a President's appointments, then deny him the right to appoint people during the recess by simply adjourning and never actually recessing.

If, and when, the Supreme Court agrees to decide this issue, they'd better be wearing their Solomon robes because they'll have to be very, very careful not to permanently alter the balance of power between the Executive and the Legislative branches. Their ruling COULD hand excessive, unrestrained power to EITHER of the branches!

Whew...this is a sticky wicket!

Maybe now there will be additional unbiased court rulings against the obama administration...it's time for obama to stop bullying the courts to return verdicts to go in his favor to further the far left liberal agenda.

Maybe now there will be additional unbiased court rulings against the obama administration...it's time for obama to stop bullying the courts to return verdicts to go in his favor to further the far left liberal agenda.

Please explain to me just how a President, any President, can "bully" a court?

Obama has stated that he will ignore the court's ruling.

He is merely following his idol's footsteps.

Ape Lincoln's response to the ruling in "Ex Parte Merryman" was to send the secret service to arrest Chief Justice Taney.

Last edited:

Ape Lincoln's response to the ruling in "Ex Parte Merryman" was to send the secret service to arrest Chief Justice Taney.

Do you read what you post?

First off, Mark Gaston Pearce is not Barack Obama.

Secondly, since the Circuit Court did not issue an injunction against any further NLRB activities, the Board has only two alternatives: Shut down all Board activities until further notice, or go right on doing what they do pending a Supreme Court ruling. They do not have the legal authority to do the former and the latter is prudent.

Nobody is "ignoring" anything. The legal and Constitutional issues are not yet settled so, just as you would not quit driving while you appealed a speeding ticket, neither will the Board quit working.

The switch in time that saved nine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I haven't heard the President threaten to pack the court, have you?

Got anything else?

Secondly, since the Circuit Court did not issue an injunction against any further NLRB activities, the Board has only two alternatives: Shut down all Board activities until further notice, or go right on doing what they do pending a Supreme Court ruling. They do not have the legal authority to do the former and the latter is prudent.

Nobody is "ignoring" anything. The legal and Constitutional issues are not yet settled so, just as you would not quit driving while you appealed a speeding ticket, neither will the Board quit working.

Wrong. The Government must request a stay pending further litigation. With a 3-0 opinion against Obama, a stay is less likely than usual but will still more than likely be granted. Nevertheless, without a stay the NLRB appointees cannot continue to work as appointed even if 100 courts say they can and only one court says they can't.

stay - Legal Definition

Last edited:

Wrong. The Government must request a stay pending further litigation. With a 3-0 opinion against Obama, a stay is less likely than usual but will still more than likely be granted. Nevertheless, without a stay the NLRB appointees cannot continue to work as appointed even if 100 courts say they can and only one court says they can't.

stay - Legal Definition

The government must request a stay of what? The court ruled on a specific case which came before the Board and overturned that case. Unless I missed something, that's all they did.

Got anything else?

Excuse me? Did I misread "any president" or are you just an idiot who can't follow your own argumentative narrative?

You're right. That's what I said and you got me there.

So...show me how OBAMA can bully the courts? Better yet, show me how he has.

Got anything else?

Excuse me? Did I misread "any president" or are you just an idiot who can't follow your own argumentative narrative?

I never made that argument. Why would I allow you to put words in my mouth as to define an argument that I have never made. Nevertheless, the only time I can remember of Obama coming close to bullying the court can be found here. Obama Criticizes Supreme Court in State of the Union Address, Justice Alito Shakes His Head in - YouTube

I believe the President did criticize the Supreme Court during a State of the Union address and he tried to put a lot of public pressure on them leading up to the Obamacare decision if these had any impact on how the court rules I don't know but I would call that trying to bully them.

stay - Legal Definition

The government must request a stay of what? The court ruled on a specific case which came before the Board and overturned that case. Unless I missed something, that's all they did.

The court specifically ruled that his actions were unconstitutional. The ruling of unconstitutional is a default injunction! The NLRB can ignore it if they whish without a stay, however, those who are subject to their rules and regulations can ignore the NLRB as well. So as long as the current status of those appointees remain unconstitutional, so are any rules, rulings, and regulations they came up with. And no court in the country will say otherwise. I for one, doubt the Supreme Court will take it up. I think that even the liberal justices will allow this ruling to remain. Unless, of course, an equal court rules otherwise.

Last edited:

HUH?

Do you understand what you read?

Did Mark Gaston Pearce, act without consulting his boss?

Is Obama aware of Mark Gaston Pearce's position?

I am sure he is. Unless they are planning another Benghazi-type defense.

The NLRB's position is that the three judges decision was political because the judges were Republican appointees. Well, bad news for him there since the US Supreme Court majority is also conservative.

HUH?

Do you understand what you read?

Did Mark Gaston Pearce, act without consulting his boss?

Is Obama aware of Mark Gaston Pearce's position?

I am sure he is. Unless they are planning another Benghazi-type defense.

The NLRB's position is that the three judges decision was political because the judges were Republican appointees. Well, bad news for him there since the US Supreme Court majority is also conservative.

I will make my supreme court prediction now. 7-2 against Obama. Thats if they take the case.

I never made that argument. Why would I allow you to put words in my mouth as to define an argument that I have never made. Nevertheless, the only time I can remember of Obama coming close to bullying the court can be found here. Obama Criticizes Supreme Court in State of the Union Address, Justice Alito Shakes His Head in - YouTube

Obama is criticizing the Citizen United ruling here, a ruling we all agree is way fucked. I hardly see what he said as bullying

stay - Legal Definition

Yep , you did miss something

"The decision will effectively shut the NLRB down, because only the Chairman, Mark Gaston Pearce would remain as a constitutionally-appointed member. The two remaining NLRB appointees, Sharon Block and Richard Griffin, both recess appointees, would have to either submit to the Senate confirmation process or step down. (A third appointee, Terrence Flynn, has since stepped down.) The five-member board requires at least three members to provide a quorum and act."

COURT ORDER HERE

Last edited:

Forum List

Back