Court lifts ban on federal funding for stem cell research

Stem cell research is vital to unlocking cures and treatments for MANY conditions that face millions of Americans. :clap2:

I'm sure the religious zealots will be here soon enough, but I'm happy to see this decision.

I'm not. Why not use adult stem cells? My understanding is that adult stem cells are actually better for science than embryonic. Why not work with adult stem cells rather than destroy life?

Why must our government be so dead set on destroying life? What is it that liberals find so thrilling about destroying life? I'm not talking about you, but our government.

It seems to me that embryonic stem cell research is not something our government should be funding especially when we are trillions of dollars in debt already.

Immie

Why don't we use anything we can?
This is very good news, and that is according to the people who actually know what they are talking about.

This is very good news, and that is according to the people who actually know what they are talking about.

What are the similarities and differences between embryonic and adult stem cells? [Stem Cell Information]

Embryonic stem cells can be grown relatively easily in culture. Adult stem cells are rare in mature tissues, so isolating these cells from an adult tissue is challenging, and methods to expand their numbers in cell culture have not yet been worked out. This is an important distinction, as large numbers of cells are needed for stem cell replacement therapies.

Scientists believe that tissues derived from embryonic and adult stem cells may differ in the likelihood of being rejected after transplantation. We don't yet know whether tissues derived from embryonic stem cells would cause transplant rejection, since the first phase 1 clinical trials testing the safety of cells derived from hESCS have only recently been approved by the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

Adult stem cells, and tissues derived from them, are currently believed less likely to initiate rejection after transplantation. This is because a patient's own cells could be expanded in culture, coaxed into assuming a specific cell type (differentiation), and then reintroduced into the patient. The use of adult stem cells and tissues derived from the patient's own adult stem cells would mean that the cells are less likely to be rejected by the immune system. This represents a significant advantage, as immune rejection can be circumvented only by continuous administration of immunosuppressive drugs, and the drugs themselves may cause deleterious side effects

Adult Stem Cells do not become human... um, as long as cloning is outlawed, while Embryonic Stem Cells may be inserted into the womb and actually continue their life. Why destroy that life?

I know, you see things differently than I do. I'd rather not jump into that discussion here. You asked why? I gave you my reply. I'm willing to leave it at that in this thread if you are for RDD thread's sake.

Immie

Stem cell research is vital to unlocking cures and treatments for MANY conditions that face millions of Americans. :clap2:

I'm sure the religious zealots will be here soon enough, but I'm happy to see this decision.

I'm not. Why not use adult stem cells? My understanding is that adult stem cells are actually better for science than embryonic. Why not work with adult stem cells rather than destroy life?

Why must our government be so dead set on destroying life? What is it that liberals find so thrilling about destroying life? I'm not talking about you, but our government.

It seems to me that embryonic stem cell research is not something our government should be funding especially when we are trillions of dollars in debt already.

Immie

As I understand it, many fertilized embryos are discarded/destroyed by in vitro clinics every year. They could be used for research rather than simply being thrown away (assuming the donor parents consent). If those are the embryonic stem cells used, do you still feel the same disagreement?

I can accept the fact that some people consider human life to begin at conception, but if the embryos are being destroyed anyway, I don't understand being opposed to using them for research. Fertilizing eggs only for research purposes is a different argument.

Immie

Maybe we should fund something that could maybe find a cure for diseases like alzheimers, that will be a large strain on medicare now that baby boomers are developing the disease every day. ;)

. While the potency and success of adult stem cell treatments are becoming evident, treatments using embryonic stem cells have not produced any clinical successes. Rather, embryonic stem cell treatments tend to create tumors in numerous animal studies. The public should ponder these issues and ask why the media do not cover such results. In a world with limited funds for research, why are we arguing about unproven and often dangerous embryonic stem cell treatments when treatments using adult stem cells are today producing real results for real patients? Adult Stem Cell Success

Rather than aspersions such as '...the religious zealots..." would you suggest that prison sentences include mandates that surgeons remove whatever organs are necessary to aid ailing individuals?
Or...only innocent embryos that should be sacrificed in this manner?

We are already behind in this department. I guess you guys have no problem with Japan and China passing us by when it comes to medical research.

Immie

As I understand it, many fertilized embryos are discarded/destroyed by in vitro clinics every year. They could be used for research rather than simply being thrown away (assuming the donor parents consent). If those are the embryonic stem cells used, do you still feel the same disagreement?

I can accept the fact that some people consider human life to begin at conception, but if the embryos are being destroyed anyway, I don't understand being opposed to using them for research. Fertilizing eggs only for research purposes is a different argument.

I am of the same understanding. My concern with your idea about the donor consent is that it becomes a farm and women will be paid to "donate". Sorry, but that is just plain wrong in my humble opinion.

The fact that it is an innocent human life bothers me to no end and that is why I do not believe that the government should be taking part in its destruction.

Immie

Immie

Maybe we should fund something that could maybe find a cure for diseases like alzheimers, that will be a large strain on medicare now that baby boomers are developing the disease every day. ;)

Fine! Use Adult Stem Cells! ;)

Edit: And let the companies that are undertaking the research fund it, not the government. Lord knows those companies are not going to voluntarily share the profits with the government when they find the cure!

Immie

Last edited:

Immie

I am of the same understanding. My concern with your idea about the donor consent is that it becomes a farm and women will be paid to "donate". Sorry, but that is just plain wrong in my humble opinion.

The fact that it is an innocent human life bothers me to no end and that is why I do not believe that the government should be taking part in its destruction.

Immie

Show us where that has happened in Britain, China, and Japan?

We wouldn't be the first country to allow this kind of research, so it should be easy to prove that this is happening in the countries where they already use embryonic stem cell research.

Immie

Fine! Use Adult Stem Cells! ;)

Immie

Why don't we use anything that can find a cure. ;)

While "new" embryonic stem cells are extracted from early stage human embryos – usually surplus left overs from IVF treatment – few if any are now used in research.

Instead scientists rely on proliferating cell cultures that have been maintained in laboratories for years.

At present Britain is a world leader in the use of stem cells thanks to investment from the private sector and the government.

Scientists are working on treatments for blindness, Alzheimer's, Parkinsons, strokes and spinal injuries as well as coming up with an alternative to testing new drugs on animals.
Stem cell cures under threat from EU court - Telegraph

This is from the EU, looks like some people who think they understand science but have no clue want to ban it there too. It didn't mention anything about paying women to farm eggs, but you can check again.

Another non-issue we civilians will pretend was an accomplish/failure of government when we just flat out shouldn't care.

Looks like the countries I found who allow this, have regulations against farming embryos, as you say. ;)
Next argument.

Another non-issue we civilians will pretend was an accomplish/failure of government when we just flat out shouldn't care.

I care. I take care of people with dementia for living, I think we should look into anything to find a cure. Many people care about this. ;)

I care. I take care of people with dementia for living, I think we should look into anything to find a cure. Many people care about this. ;)

Ok great, now list something doctors can do now with this that they couldn't do before with adult cells or cultured ones.

I'm a pro-choice atheist so I don't give a damn about destroying or not destroying the cells, just saying it's legislation that's not going to really have any big affect on anything.

Forum List

Back