County clerks invoke religious freedom to ignore law on same-sex marriage

hazlnut

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2012
Chicago
‘I don’t stand alone': County clerks invoke religious freedom to ignore law on same-sex marriage

Remind you of anything?

1432841313_8dd091671d.jpg

A little bit of history repeating itself.

Several county clerks in Kentucky have decided to stop issuing marriage licenses altogether, citing religious objections to the ruling – although they have been directed by the state’s Democratic governor and attorney general to follow the law or face potential Class A misdemeanor charges for official misconduct.

“It’s hard, I will tell you that,” said Rowan County Clerk Kim Davis, who admits she has not yet been asked to issue a marriage license to a same-sex couple. “What has happened is that five lawyers have imposed their personal view of what the definition of marriage should be on the rest of us, and I, as a Christian, have strong views, too — and I know I don’t stand alone.”

9a5b05401537c74ba1c7352c59918b97.jpg

Love the sinner, hate the sin. Yeah right.

oh darn. that freedom thing works two way eh?

that's going to chap a lot of butts. should be fun to watch.

‘I don’t stand alone': County clerks invoke religious freedom to ignore law on same-sex marriage

Remind you of anything?

1432841313_8dd091671d.jpg

A little bit of history repeating itself.

Several county clerks in Kentucky have decided to stop issuing marriage licenses altogether, citing religious objections to the ruling – although they have been directed by the state’s Democratic governor and attorney general to follow the law or face potential Class A misdemeanor charges for official misconduct.

“It’s hard, I will tell you that,” said Rowan County Clerk Kim Davis, who admits she has not yet been asked to issue a marriage license to a same-sex couple. “What has happened is that five lawyers have imposed their personal view of what the definition of marriage should be on the rest of us, and I, as a Christian, have strong views, too — and I know I don’t stand alone.”

9a5b05401537c74ba1c7352c59918b97.jpg

Love the sinner, hate the sin. Yeah right.
There are lots of people that need jobs. How hard is it to train someone to issue a marriage license?

So- when a Judge refuses to condemn a convicted killer to death- citing his or her own religious conviction- Conservatives will be applauding that judge's religious convictions- right?

The language of the 1st Amendment could not more clear.

And today I believe was the first time we have heard a presidential candidate use the words "by force".

For all things there is a breaking point.

Good for the county clerks........ :thup:
i do have a certain respect for someone that will take an action based on strongly held personal beliefs that they know will badly for them.

those clerks, if they ever refuse a license to a same sex couple, will lose their jobs. they must know that.

i think they are wong and actly wrongly, but i have to admire the strength of their convictions

The language of the 1st Amendment could not more clear.

And today I believe was the first time we have heard a presidential candidate use the words "by force".

For all things there is a breaking point.
you think the first amendment protects the clerks from issuing the licenses?

They all took an oath (on a Bible I assume) to uphold the law. They should lose their job and someone willing to uphold the law should take their place.

They all took an oath (on a Bible I assume) to uphold the law. They should lose their job and someone willing to uphold the law should take their place.

They would then have been fired due to religious beliefs. That's illegal

"What has happened is that five lawyers have imposed their personal view of what the definition of marriage should be on the rest of us"

this is the new jedi mind trick right wing thugs are pandering to the ignorant masses. ^

The US Supreme Court justices are just some random lawyers dressed in fancy black robes with no real legal authority. :cuckoo:

i do have a certain respect for someone that will take an action based on strongly held personal beliefs that they know will badly for them.

those clerks, if they ever refuse a license to a same sex couple, will lose their jobs. they must know that.

i think they are wong and actly wrongly, but i have to admire the strength of their convictions

As government agents they cannot allow their personal views to impact their work. To me that this the issue, and it really isn't negotiable.

They should be either fired, or moved to another job that does not require them to interact with the public.

If your religious beliefs clash with your job then you are in the wrong job. This is not a case of wearing a religious headdress. This is not executing your duties and wasting tax payer money..

I admire someone willing to lose their job over their beliefs. Most people are cowards and will not stand up for their convictions. They are on the wrong side of pretty much everything but at least they are all in.
some of them are probably naive enough to believe the move will make them heroes or that at the very least everything will work out i their favor. some of them are probably chomping at the bit to set up their gofundme accounts and rake in the money of fools.
i don't have much respect for them. but those that know that they will be labeled as bigots and lose their jobs, those are at least worthy of a little respect.
of course, i'll be cheering their eventual removal

As government agents they cannot allow their personal views to impact their work. To me that this the issue, and it really isn't negotiable.

They should be either fired, or moved to another job that does not require them to interact with the public.
i don't think it's a point of contention between liberals and conservatives that the government services we receive should not be based on how acceptable the clerk administering those services finds us to be.

Whatever is tripping up gay marriage in various places right now, is simply temporary.

You won the right to wed, you are no longer empowered by victimhood, move along now or find something new to scream about.

Nope they should be fired for failing to perform their job duties. State issued Marriage licenses have nothing to with religious beliefs.

Forum List

Back