Could Trump "pardon" himself ???

Article II

and he shall have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offenses against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment.

The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.

It is clear that if a federal judge, or agency head is being impeached, the president can't intervene by issuing a pardon for the crimes for which they are being impeached.

If Trump issues himself a pardon, it's a constitutional question for the courts. If the house as a result, impeaches Trump, his pardon of himself becomes void by the impeachment exception. And it only takes a simple majority to impeach a president.

Whether the senate convicts or not, Trump would face criminal charges upon leaving office.

beat me to it ...

~snort

lol

giving himself a pardon wont stop impeachment proceedings if they should ever start.

but the question alone is proof the sorry fucker is guilty and he knows it.

[Ironically just the opposite.] strike that out

The presidents power to grant pardons is excepted by cases of impeachment. So whether Trump pardons and is then impeached, or is impeached and then grants himself a pardon, the pardon is voided by the constitution.

Last edited:
If Pence pardons Trump for accepting bribery from Russia, his political career is over. I don't think he's that loyal to Trump.

Ahhh, but the fix will be in BEFORE any charge of "accepting bribery" reaches that little climax......Trump may just state that "his businesses are suffering and those businesses need his guidance"....and resign with a "blanket pardon" for ANY subsequent findings on his screw ups.

(Of course, Putin would then be pissed.)
Something like this is entirely within the realm of possibility. I wake up everyday lately expecting to find that Trump has fled the scene of the crime.

giving himself a pardon wont stop impeachment proceedings if they should ever start.

Ironically just the opposite. The presidents power to grant pardons is excepted by cases of impeachment. So whether Trump pardons and is then impeached, or is impeached and then grants himself a pardon, the pardon is voided by the constitution.

Even if Trump does pardon himself, that would not shield him from impeachment hearings. And most believe if he did make a move like this, it would be both an admission of guilt and a potential constitutional crisis.

beat me to it ...

~snort

lol

If Trump pardons himself, and the house doesn't impeach him, then it will be up to the courts to decide if the pardon is valid, since there is no case law on the question, and the constitution doesn't expressly prohibit it.

Ironically just the opposite. The presidents power to grant pardons is excepted by cases of impeachment. So whether Trump pardons and is then impeached, or is impeached and then grants himself a pardon, the pardon is voided by the constitution.

Even if Trump does pardon himself, that would not shield him from impeachment hearings. And most believe if he did make a move like this, it would be both an admission of guilt and a potential constitutional crisis.

Please correct my answer, I thought you said a pardon would stop the impeachment process. As you pointed out, it will not.

If Pence pardons Trump for accepting bribery from Russia, his political career is over. I don't think he's that loyal to Trump.

Ahhh, but the fix will be in BEFORE any charge of "accepting bribery" reaches that little climax......Trump may just state that "his businesses are suffering and those businesses need his guidance"....and resign with a "blanket pardon" for ANY subsequent findings on his screw ups.

Something like this is entirely within the realm of possibility. I wake up everyday lately expecting to find that Trump has fled the scene of the crime.
Wouldn't that be some shit? We wake up one day to find that the treasury's been emptied, the military's top secret files are missing, and the Trump's and Kushner's are all hanging out in beach dacha's in Sochi

I am glad you idiot liberals discuss all this stupid shit, The only thing in the entire thread worth reading is the Presidents tweet that tells what crimes have been committed. THE LEAKS, and the unmasking are the crimes. They are all by dimshits and traitor republicans who are worthless too. As for Trump needing a pardon, HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH
HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA. More stupid fantasy from the psycho squad.

theres not a brilliant RW alive who doesnt need to pardon themselves when theyre not guilty.

es

A pardon issued by Pence, would only shield Trump from federal criminal charges. Trump could still be charged for violating state law, or sued for violating federal regulations. Trump could not be tried for tax evasion, but the IRS could sue him for the amount of taxes owed.

Wouldn't that be some shit? We wake up one day to find that the treasury's been emptied, the military's top secret files are missing, and the Trump's and Kushner's are all hanging out in beach dacha's in Sochi
Not so much as that but more like just refusing to leave Mar-a-lago one day and tweeting his resignation with little warning or explanation.

I am glad you idiot liberals discuss all this stupid shit, The only thing in the entire thread worth reading is the Presidents tweet that tells what crimes have been committed. THE LEAKS, and the unmasking are the crimes. They are all by dimshits and traitor republicans who are worthless too. As for Trump needing a pardon, HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH
HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA. More stupid fantasy from the psycho squad.

call Mueller and tell him his investigation is a fucking fantasy ...

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Chatter among the liberal low intellect magpies, What a laugh!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!>>>>>>>>>

Chatter among the liberal low intellect magpies, What a laugh!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!>>>>>>>>>

It is based on no evidence and it is a fantasy of the dimshits. It is also a violation of Trumps Fourth amendment rights because there was NO EVIDENCE, and NO PROBABLE CAUSE!! So it is a JOKE!!!

It is based on no evidence and it is a fantasy of the dimshits. It is also a violation of Trumps Fourth amendment rights because there was NO EVIDENCE, and NO PROBABLE CAUSE!! So it is a JOKE!!!
You do know that no part of this investigation would be going on without some republican signing off on it? Your theory of disgruntled democrats looking for payback is invalid.

no evidence that YOU know about ... you want evidence, get a security clearance and get on the investigation team ....

until you do that STFU

Not so much as that but more like just refusing to leave Mar-a-lago one day and tweeting his resignation with little warning or explanation.

That would really cause a problem, because the law requires his resignation go to the secretary of state.

3 U.S. Code § 20 - Resignation or refusal of office

3 U.S. Code § 20 - Resignation or refusal of office

The only evidence of a refusal to accept, or of a resignation of the office of President or Vice President, shall be an instrument in writing, declaring the same, and subscribed by the person refusing to accept or resigning, as the case may be, and delivered into the office of the Secretary of State.

(June 25, 1948, ch. 644, 62 Stat. 678.)

Imagine the arguments on this board if Trump pardons himself and all and then is impeached.

Forum List

Back