Could Trump "pardon" himself ???

nat4900

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2015
Its actually an interesting question, isn't it?

Like it or not, the WshPost IS reporting that Trump has asked his lawyers to delve a bit more regarding what pardoning powers his office has....

Of course, if this is true, one could conclude that Trump is hunkering down into a virtual bunker mentality and we can kiss goodbye to anything that he promised to get elected.

But, we know that a president CAN pardon others, but can he or she ever pardon himself?

The Constitution is silent on this and, I will readily admit, Trump (if nothing else) is having us re-review that document and other laws on emolument clauses, conflicts of interests, etc.

The best analogy that one can make is to ask the question: "Can a judge find HIMSELF or HERSELF NOT guilty of some criminal or civil infraction? Or, is the "pardoning" action strictly one that someone bestows on another rather than oneself?

Paraphrasing the Chinese proverb, "may we all live in interesting times."....and WE ARE.

No, he cannot pardon himself.

The closest he can get to that is saying "pardon me" when he has intestinal flatulence.

A president being able to pardon himself is so against the intent of the office that I am sure the founders did not even think to address the question.

• Banned
There's no way people would let that shit ride even if it was possible.

actually, one of Nixon's biographers wrote that Nixon contemplated "pardoning" himself......But, wisely,he thought that he could not live down the shame of that action and opted to resign instead, living that task to Ford (which made Ford's chances to be elected nearly nil.).

actually, one of Nixon's biographers wrote that Nixon contemplated "pardoning" himself......But, wisely,he thought that he could not live down the shame of that action and opted to resign instead, living that task to Ford (which made Ford's chances to be elected nearly nil.).

I kind of hope he tries just so I can witness the chaos that ensues.

I fully expect Trump to issue a blanket pardon by tweet one night soon. Now that would be a real legal conundrum.

DFXTd3iXkAEuOZb.jpg

Pardon himself for what?

Ask him......Rumors have it that he's asking attorneys to explore his "pardoning option".......Maybe Barron misbehaved, I don't know.

If Trump were still running Trump enterprises he COULD "pardon himself' for screwing investors.....BUT, as POTUS, things may be a bit different for his fat ass.

Pardon himself for what?

Ask him......Rumors have it that he's asking attorneys to explore his "pardoning option".......Maybe Barron misbehaved, I don't know.
They'll wait until after Trump resigns or is removed to bring charges. And Pence still has political ambitions, so he won't issue a pardon.

Removed, lol.

What's the charge? Not being liked by lunatic liberals?

They'll wait until after Trump resigns or is removed to bring charges. And Pence still has political ambitions, so he won't issue a pardon.

Well, the deal would be struck BEFORE Trump would resign for Pence to pardon him (and his family)....hoping that Pence does not remember what happened to Gerald Ford.

Well, the deal would be struck BEFORE Trump would resign for Pence to pardon him (and his family)....hoping that Pence does not remember what happened to Gerald Ford.
If Pence pardons Trump for accepting bribery from Russia, his political career is over. I don't think he's that loyal to Trump.

If Pence pardons Trump for accepting bribery from Russia, his political career is over. I don't think he's that loyal to Trump.

Ahhh, but the fix will be in BEFORE any charge of "accepting bribery" reaches that little climax......Trump may just state that "his businesses are suffering and those businesses need his guidance"....and resign with a "blanket pardon" for ANY subsequent findings on his screw ups.

(Of course, Putin would then be pissed.)

Article II

and he shall have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offenses against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment.

The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.

It is clear that if a federal judge, or agency head is being impeached, the president can't intervene by issuing a pardon for the crimes for which they are being impeached.

If Trump issues himself a pardon, it's a constitutional question for the courts. If the house as a result, impeaches Trump, his pardon of himself becomes void by the impeachment exception. And it only takes a simple majority to impeach a president.

Whether the senate convicts or not, Trump would face criminal charges upon leaving office.

giving himself a pardon wont stop impeachment proceedings if they should ever start.

but the question alone is proof the sorry fucker is guilty and he knows it.

New Topics

Forum List

Back