Could President Obama get a Supreme Court nominee confirmed?

1_Old_Man

Jan 26, 2012
If one of the Supreme Court Justices were to die today, lets us say Justice Thomas, and President Obama were to do his duty and nominate a replacement do you believe that the nominee, no matter who it was nor how well qualified they may be, could be confirmed by the Senate?

It is my understanding that the only bills that do not require a cloture vote (60) are budget bills. To the best of my knowledge the confirmation debate would require a cloture vote.

If he needs 60-votes he better put up a very competent justice. A political hack would not get in. My recollection is that one of the perks of the Executive is that you get your nominee approved. So I'd have to say that Obama would get anyone qualified approved. Their track record would need to be "non-radical" and minimal reversals.

If he needs 60-votes he better put up a very competent justice. A political hack would not get in. My recollection is that one of the perks of the Executive is that you get your nominee approved. So I'd have to say that Obama would get anyone qualified approved. Their track record would need to be "non-radical" and minimal reversals.

Well, about all I can say is he's done pretty well so far.

Forum List

Back