correct racial title

bikercat

Feb 8, 2011
In this day of political correctness, why isn't president Obama refered to as the first biracial american president instead of the first african american president?

Finally, someone else is asking this! I questioned this several times and the only answer I can recall is something along the lines of 'half black and half white = black'.

:confused:

I think he's done this country a huge disservice by not claiming biracial. Seems to me things are more divided since he was elected, rather than less. I can't tell you the number of times 'racist' has been thrown around just because someone disagreed with his policy on something.

Obama was elected in hopes of giving blacks more self esteem, so the white part of Obama is ignored.

In this day of political correctness, why isn't president Obama refered to as the first biracial american president instead of the first african american president?

I thought Obama was more Arab than black. :confused:

He's a half-breed muslin.

3BKw9xWpxeinzrq0FvH33Dyso1_500.png

Maybe we should pass a law and declare that anyone with black blood in them is actually biracial. Most black Americans are biracial. God forbid that we let people self identify.

:eusa_eh:

Obama (or anyone else) can self-identify as whatever he wants to; I think the "one drop rule" went away with the demise of Jim Crow. I will say I think Obama entered the office of president in a unique position to start a real national dialogue on race; so far, that opportunity has been neglected; a pity, since such a dialogue just might do some real good.

Obama want's to expunge the white blood from his body

I think that Obama has learned since being in office that the race issue cannot be solved. People grow increasingly bitter that the federal government and state provide so many entitlements. That blacks complain about not having the same opportunities as whites and when the issue is addressed via money or human resources, and they continue to self-destruct, they just come up with another excuse. Hell being black is why he won the election. 2008 was the highest black voting turnout in history. Then they fly the "we did it" flags and bumper stickers and then wonder why there is a division among the races. All that message says to me is that "separate but equal" is still so very much alive.

I think that Obama has learned since being in office that the race issue cannot be solved. People grow increasingly bitter that the federal government and state provide so many entitlements. That blacks complain about not having the same opportunities as whites and when the issue is addressed via money or human resources, and they continue to self-destruct, they just come up with another excuse. Hell being black is why he won the election. 2008 was the highest black voting turnout in history. Then they fly the "we did it" flags and bumper stickers and then wonder why there is a division among the races. All that message says to me is that "separate but equal" is still so very much alive.

I hope you're wrong about the "can't be solved" part; but it won't be solved by throwing money at it; it won't be solved by using it for political advantage, and it won't be solved by pandering to the worst fears and insecurities of people on BOTH sides of the racial divide. Considering that both major political parties, and politicians of both the left and the right are guilty of all of the above, that really doesn't leave us much but people to people, one heart, one mind, one person at a time. Many years ago, a very wise friend of mine told me that now that we had killed off Jim Crow, it would take us at least three or four generations to clean up the mess left behind. I thought that was a bit pessimistic; now, I think it might have been too optimistic.

All the same, I do think we have to keep trying to do what we can, when we can, where we can. Yes, it's slow, and frustrating, but what's the alternative?

It is American law that we judge by color, thats how affirmative action works.

Tank has a point.
And no...it isn't going to happen (becoming color blind).
Someday, maybe we will become advanced enough to realize pigmentation, genes, etc are still part of the human race. I will probably be long dead by then, though.

For the same reason a guy who is not even half irish, will say he is irish american.

Forum List

Back